Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Great Thou Art

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Over the past month I have bought two vintage fedoras from Art. I thought I would share them.....the photos, not the lids.....with you.

First I bought a vintage Borsalino. The felt is so soft it is constantly moving. A breeze often flips my brim up. I really like the hat. It is very comfortable. I want to change the ribbon though. I just don't care for the little, low contrast ribbon. I am thinking a one inch brown.
my_vintage_Borsalino.jpg

The other is a vintage dead stock Resistol. You can read about it here:
http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1038

my_resistol.jpg

Thanks to Art, my herd of hats is moving up.:D

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I would bet the farm that you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re going to be hearing a lot about the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìWorks of Art?¢‚Ǩ? in the very near future.

Here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a pic from this past winter of my Akubra Federation Deluxe.
Lid_Red.jpg

Bashed it myself, and it was a pretty good fedora. I would even go so far as saying it was ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThe Best Fedora?¢‚Ǩ¬¶?¢‚Ǩ?

Again, from this past winter.
REN1.jpg

Now, here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a pic of me from The Fourth Weekend. This is after too many snow and rain storms.
Secrets_Ltrbx.jpg

I was itching to get it blocked and bashed by a profession thanks to you guys. I love Steve Fedora like a brother and I would have asked him to do mine but his blocks aren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t my size and I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to impose on him anymore then the group already has. People have been singing Art?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s praises so I thought I would give him a shot.

After a couple of PM?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s I sent it off. I posted a couple of posts saying I had sent it off and then members of his fan-club sent me E-Mails telling me what kind of treat I was in for.

rens_1.jpg

[Here's a look at the Top that's too big for me to post here.]

Guys, Art?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not just a pro he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s also a good friend of the group and very easy to get along with. After speaking to him over the phone, I got the feeling he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a real gem: Man of principle and a true craftsmen of his trades.

In closing, I'll be doing a lot more buisness with Art in the future. If you want a real solid work hat that looks great, get an Akubra. If you want that fedora serviced by a pro and a gentleman, send it to Art.

Yep, dropped by Art's today to pick up my Knox Homberg and Dobbs Fedora. I would like to participate with pictures but I do not have a digital camera so..... Well, anyway, the Dobbs was pretty much a moth eaten mess but Art made it look nearly new with a cool new block that gave it new life. It looks much better now with that block than the post-modern hobo block that it had when I got it. LOL
This trip also gave me a chance to leave off a Stetson for a total refurbish (the Uncle Jed look was not quite cutting it), yes a Stetson ;), and see a NOS Resistol that I could not live without. It is about the same color as yours MK. I told you Art had a time machine. :D
Ren, I told you Art would make you happy. ;) If he can please me, and I am pretty picky (translated a pain in the a**), then I can recommend him. Out of all the people that I have had clean and block hats for me (names concealed to protect the guilty LOL ); Art has been the one who is most interested in attention to detail. He even sees things I miss. :eek:
So hats off to the Doyen of Hatology. :D

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You guys stop it.

Art wears a hat almost my size. If you keep this up, he will grow a size or two...

Come to think of it, KEEP IT UP. When his head swells with pride, I can pick up his personal hats which obviously will no longer fit!

Ren, I opened your box, and touched your Akubra. It is a fine hat.

It wasn't that bad, and was clean, just a reblock for the taper.

I didn't know what caused the crease in the crown, front to back on the top.????

I watched Art do his magic..and left with your hat still "on the block" ..

Haven't seen the finished item, and most likely won't.

Art and I are having lunch next week via airplane, so I am sure to hear the story. You will be pleased.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
MK said: "I want to change the ribbon though. I just don't care for the little, low contrast ribbon. "

Looking at old Stetson hat ads I've noticed that the Stetson Stratoliner had this type of narrow ribbon and was advertised as a "Town and Country" hat, while the Whippet, which had the 1 1/2 inch ribbon was put forth as a dress hat. I have several fedora's with this narrow ribbon as well and while not being my favorite it does give a different flavor to the hat. I wear them in a more casual setting.

I have a borsalino that looks pretty much identical to yours and it is one of my favorites as well. How about a pic of the inside if possible.

regards fedoralover

havershaw

Practically Family
Beautiful hats, all. RF, yours looks particularly great, in my opinion.

MK, my all-time favorite Borsalino that I own has that same liner. I can only echo your statements - it's the most comfy hat I've ever owned. I probably wear that one more than any other hat I own. I wonder if the gold writing in the liner means something. I've handled a couple other borsalinos with this liner, and they all feel like the same type of thin, dense felt - very malleable and very comfortable. I have a bunch of other vintage Borsalinos, but the one with the gold liner takes the proverbial cake.

Originally posted by MK
my_vintage_Borsalino3.jpg

This is the most comfortable hat I own.

I have one of these in brown and one in gray/olive. The only difference is the background of my gold logo is a tan color. The thing I enjoy most is the corrugation at the front of the hats. It not only makes it cooler to wear but the fit is greatly improved because of it. I my opinion that is what makes the hat more comfortable.
They also have a nice wide brim. I like 'em. Tell Art to fire up the time machine to bring back some more---in size 7 5/8 of course. LOL
Glad to be part of such an austere group of hat connoisseurs. :D

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou