Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats do you have...?

How many hats do you own?

• 1-10

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 10-20

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • 20-30

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • 30-40

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 40-50

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 50-60

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 60-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-80

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 80-90

• 90-100

• Total voters
avedwards said:
Only counting hats which fit:
1 grey deerstalker
1 carribou Stetson Chatham
1 light blue-grey Susquehana Hat Co fedora (modern)

When money permits it (in order of priority):
1 moonstone grey Federation (hopefully to be ordered within the next month)
1 blue smoke VS fedora
1 black homburg
1 folding opera top hat

I hope the bartenders don't throw me out for not owning enough hats to be a proper FL member. :confused:

We call that a starter set. ;) :D
Sounds fine to me. You and I are likely a few of the people that actually have deerstalkers though. :D

billysmom

One Too Many
Deerstalker

jamespowers said:
Sounds fine to me. You and I are likely a few of the people that actually have deerstalkers though. :D

Deerstalker-001.jpg

Deerstalker-002.jpg

Do we need a deerstalker thread?

Sue

Big_e

Practically Family
I'm just starting out. I began on the wrong foot by buying several cheap caps off of ebay not really worth mentioning. I have a bag full of these.

The hats that I own and are worth counting are:
2 Brixton Brood cloth caps.
1 Brixton Hooligan wool cap (my avatar).
1 L'aiglon wool beret that I love.
1 no-name ebay wool beret. Sadly it's already showing signs of wear as I wear it all the time.
1 no name wool pork pie that I wear every chance I get. Love my pork pie!
1 Brixton Gain. I wear this when I'm not wearing my pork pie or beret.

Basically I'm starting out. You guys and gals here at FL are a great influence in making me start my collection. I may concentrate on pork pies as I like the style and will add a few derbys. Stingy brimmed hats seem to appeal to me most.
Ernest

Duper

Practically Family
Well since I started collecting in just this last year the postman has been to my door more than a dozen times. Many of these purchases were made after browsing the Lounge and asking questions which so many of you have promptly answered. Thanks to the "regulars". I couldn't have done it without you!

1 Acubra Stockman - santone fawn
2 Acubra Banjo Patersons (charcoal grey and fawn) charcoal with the brim trimmed slightly
2 Standard Fed IVs - (moonstone and tawny fawn)
1 Stetson Temple - sage
1 Stetson Pinnacle - mink
1 Stetson Bear Creek - tawny (a Noggintops revised Chatham)
1 Acubra Casual - carbon grey
1 Stetson Open Road - silverbelly (vintage open crown E-Bay)
1 Stetson Globester - mink
1 Christy's Foldaway - burma - acquired from fellow Lounger Aureliano
1 BC Hats Bac Pac Traveller - bark

Throw in a couple of E-bay misfires and I have been enjoying myself and helping the old economy along quite a bit.

Prior to 2009 I had a Tilley LTM5 that I still love and get many compliments on. Go figure?! I also have a black Tilley Ivy Cap with ear flaps for these cold Canadian winter days and nights. I also had a nice but inexpensive (thank goodness!) Panama Hat that our dear dog decided to turn ino a chew toy one day last fall.

Having typed all this out I realize I am way behind on my picture sharing on the FL. :eusa_doh:
And it is a new year and I have yet to make a hat purchase? [huh]

For the spring of 2010 I am hoping to acquire a nice Sunbody hat and a replacement Panama. Perhaps a Campdraft if I can talk myself into a wider brimmed hat. I keep finding myself gazing at the homepages for a nice VS or a Penman's hat as well. Ah, the thrill of the hunt!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I don't plan on adding much more though, simply because of space, income and I like to dress with the same mentality as people did back then, and most people only owned one or two hats.

As for the deerstalker, it may only be a cheap thing given to me as a birthday present by my mother from 221B but it was my first proper hat which still fits me (as I child I had a beautiful Mayser from some unknown source). I rarely wear it anymore, though I did on New Years Eve.

Hal

Practically Family
Deerstalker-001.jpg
Do we need a deerstalker thread?​

In the UK "deerstalker" can mean two kinds of hat - the one depicted here, and also one sometimes called a "fore-and-aft", with no earflaps but with a peak before and behind. "Deerstalker" more usually refers to the latter type, which is quite frequently worn in rural Scotland by men of all ages.​

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
OK, I'm counting every single hat, flat cap, ball cap, stocking cap, hats I had as a kid and no longer fit, and various devices made for the head including a hard hat in the basement and a cap from the paint store.

And the grand total is...Seventy-six!

Hey, if there were 76 trombones in the hat parade--let's all sing together, now--then can't I have 76 hats in the trombone parade? Wait a minute, I think there's another few hats I wore as a toddler in the attic. To be continued.

Billy's Mom/Sue: I like that deerstalker! With the nerve to actually wear one in public, I'd like to get one. I've seen them at the web sites of Berkely Hat Co and Village Hat Shop, but I'm leery they may be cheapo costume hats. Is yours vintage or relatively new? If new, where'd you get it? What's it made out of? How much $?

Sargon

Familiar Face
I started with hats in October of last year. Right now I'm at:
1 Gary White
1 Art Fawcett
2 Akubras
2 Baileys
1 Modern Stetson
5 Vintage Stetson
3 Cavanagh
3 Dobbs
1 Disney
3 Borsolinos
2 Resistols
1 Churchill
2 Adams
1 Wormser
1 Knox
1 Rogers Peet
1 Thoroughbred
So 31 total in a little over a year. I am slowing down quite a bit these days it looks like. I no longer have a list of all the current auctions that fit my head on the bay stored away in my brain.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Scott, nice selection. I think you may have "rented" the most hats.:D

rlk - it's true.

The main thing with everything I've collected has been to get lots of varied examples in hand, study, document and learn. "Renting" is the best way to do this. If you check out my baseball and billiard sites, you'll see a plethora of objects that I no longer own, but the "renting" of which allowed me the 'hands-on' experience necessary to write about them.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
rlk - it's true.

The main thing with everything I've collected has been to get lots of varied examples in hand, study, document and learn. "Renting" is the best way to do this. If you check out my baseball and billiard sites, you'll see a plethora of objects that I no longer own, but the "renting" of which allowed me the 'hands-on' experience necessary to write about them.

At the moment I own 37 hats of which I'm only going to keep about eighteen to twenty. The rest will have to go. Not just because I'm running out of space, but because I simply don't wear those anymore. Most of them are late 50's/60's stingy brims. But then, after getting rid of these I'll replenish my collection with a few more wider brims... :D

Here are the eighteen hats which I'm going to keep for sure.

collection_01.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
At the moment I own 37 hats of which I'm only going to keep about eighteen to twenty. The rest will have to go. Not just because I'm running out of space, but because I simply don't wear those anymore. Most of them are 60's stingy brims. After getting rid of these I'll replenish my collection with wider brims... :D

Here are the eighteen hats which I'm going to keep for sure.

You must buy those black heads in bulk :p

5th row from top, 1st hat - I remember lusting after that one before. What is it?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Scott - after giving your assembly a closer inspection, I really need to place a few orders:

2nd row, 1st hat.
3rd row, 2nd hat
4th row, 3rd hat

(There is a pattern in there...)

Oh, and while I'm at, I'll also take 4th row, 2nd hat.

Hatsx20.jpg

How long will it take you to deliver these? :D

*sigh*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24