Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you like your new Lewis Leathers Jacket?

Edward

Bartender
His 'chopper' as they call it in the US, is basically a dragster. It probably geared for short burst of acceleration, like a traffic light show down. Sport bikes are not just built for pure acceleration, the better chassis can handle braking, bends, bumps, much better. So there is no real winner at the end of the day. But I do like the Harley style 'choppers'.

Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that. For my own preferences, nobody can touch the Brits in the 40s/50s when it comes to bikes. Stylistically, anyhow - when it coes to price and efficiency these days, the Japanese no doubt slay all-comers.

Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that. For my own preferences, nobody can touch the Brits in the 40s/50s when it comes to bikes. Stylistically, anyhow - when it coes to price and efficiency these days, the Japanese no doubt slay all-comers.
In case you weren't payin' 'ttention, the Brits are winning in sports bikes!
See THIS PAGE.
Back to the future...but sadly, there's no 50's styling to be had :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
In case you weren't payin' 'ttention, the Brits are winning in sports bikes!
See THIS PAGE.
Back to the future...but sadly, there's no 50's styling to be had :)
Well thats why we went nowhere for years, we made the same parallel twins for years which is why the Japanese walked all over us in racing. Triumph have made some retro bikes for quite a few years now based visually on the old design but they cant cut it on the race circuit.
The new design Bonneville was not as fast as the original 1960s version and the new Norton cant touch the Japs either. But yes, they look good.

Well thats why we went nowhere for years, we made the same parallel twins for years which is why the Japanese walked all over us in racing. Triumph have made some retro bikes for quite a few years now based visually on the old design but they cant cut it on the race circuit. The new design Bonneville was not as fast as the original 1960s version and the new Norton cant touch the Japs either. But yes, they look good.
I'm on the fence over a Thruxton or a Scrambler. Both new, but have a decent retro look. And I'm just tired of owning Hondas...been that way for almost 40 years now.

Edward

Bartender
Well thats why we went nowhere for years, we made the same parallel twins for years which is why the Japanese walked all over us in racing. Triumph have made some retro bikes for quite a few years now based visually on the old design but they cant cut it on the race circuit.
The new design Bonneville was not as fast as the original 1960s version and the new Norton cant touch the Japs either. But yes, they look good.

Which is all that matters. I find the whole fixation with going really, really fast unfathomable, frankly. That said, it long ago became readily apparent that I completely lack whatever gene is necessary to make one wish to compete against others.

Graemsay

Practically Family
RatBikeJim, glad to hear that you're in one piece. And I'm very much in agreement about full face lids.

Rather than order another Lewis, I'd suggest having a chat to Crowtree, BKS, Hideout or Scotts, and get a proper set of leathers. Scotts do a copy of the Belstaff jackets that are cheaper, and I keep on thinking it'd be interesting to make that the top half of a two piece.

As for sportbike acceleration, my BMW Boxer (in the right hands) could outdrag a 600 according to someone I spoke to. (Not convinced about a litre bike though.) A lot is down to torque and its spread, which is something that twins have in heaps, whereas inline fours can be lacking in this.

...As for sportbike acceleration, my BMW Boxer (in the right hands) could outdrag a 600 according to someone I spoke to. (Not convinced about a litre bike though.) A lot is down to torque and its spread, which is something that twins have in heaps, whereas inline fours can be lacking in this.
HP generally = top speeds.Torque generally = acceleration.Look at Japan vs Italy. Big V-twins vs inline 4's. I know what I prefer. And don't forget the Trumpets with their 3's. Good combo of both.

Twit

One of the Regulars
As for sportbike acceleration, my BMW Boxer (in the right hands) could outdrag a 600 according to someone I spoke to. (Not convinced about a litre bike though.) A lot is down to torque and its spread, which is something that twins have in heaps, whereas inline fours can be lacking in this.

A boxer, assuming it is an 1150 or 1200 could outdrag a 600 at lower revs in the right hands, higher up though a 600 would destroy it, I've had both! A properly ridden litre sports bike would so comprehensively stomp a boxer that after a minute or so it wouldn't even be in sight. Totally different styles of bikes.

As for the retro Triumphs, I am not keen, they are just retro for looks sake, they have no link to the old bikes other than the name. The irony is that people buy them to cruise etc, but in the late 50's and 60's the bonne was exactly about trying to go as fast as possible and having decent handling, they were the sports bike / crotch rockets of their time, not the duff things they are now. The closest modern Triumph has to the bonne in spirit is the Speed Triple, they should have been brave and used the bonne name on that and just stuck with t100 etc for the retro's.

To get back to the thread, I have a Lewis Dominator that I use when I'm on my old bikes and its great, no armour as has been mentioned, but I don't go fast enough to worry about it. For proper riding I currently have Furygan kit which is nice, I've had Crowtree but I think they have really scaled down their operation now. BKS have gone to Frank Thomas and down the drain with it... Scott is still good as are Hideout. I certainly wouldnt want to be on the motorway or giving it some decent beans without some proper armour etc etc!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'd like one of those BKS Police jackets. The old all black one with the two A2 style pocket flaps but in a large size 44-46?. Other than eBay know anywhere I can get one?

IXL

One Too Many
I'm on the fence over a Thruxton or a Scrambler. Both new, but have a decent retro look. And I'm just tired of owning Hondas...been that way for almost 40 years now.

My local Triumph dealer told me that most of his customers who buy the Thruxton state that it is a blast for short rides but after 30 minutes or so, it quickly becomes uncomfortable. He also mentioned that those who buy the scrambler claim they can ride for hours.

My local Triumph dealer told me that most of his customers who buy the Thruxton state that it is a blast for short rides but after 30 minutes or so, it quickly becomes uncomfortable. He also mentioned that those who buy the scrambler claim they can ride for hours.
Thanks man. Good to know :)

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'd like one of those BKS Police jackets. The old all black one with the two A2 style pocket flaps but in a large size 44-46?. Other than eBay know anywhere I can get one?

You could try BKS Leather, but it will cost you.

The made-to-measure side was never sold to Frank Thomas, and is still going. That's who supplied the police.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Oh, and take a look at the Ace Cafe Thruxton.

Ace_904S_Thruxton_-_Wall_2_SMALL.jpg

I saw it at Intermot in 2010, and it was very tasty. Lots of expensive, machined shiny bits on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff