Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much rain can an Akubra take?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
How much rain... ? A LOT!

This is the result of several severe downpours and deliberate soakings:

fed4-5.jpg

fed4-4.jpg

Like the people in OZ use to say: No worries mate!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your's seems to have made it through without developing much, if any, taper. Mine doesn't seem to be as lucky. However, since I wear my hats angled (word?) back, it's really not that noticeable.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
...I wear my hats angled (word?) back...

I think the word you are looking for is "tilted," but yours does work fine.
Or cocked back. That works too.

Neophyte

I like tilted back. Cocked back makes it sound like the hat is straining to spring forward and hit a firing pin ;) .

By the way, djgo-cat-go, nice hat. Is that the standard or the deluxe?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
I like tilted back. Cocked back makes it sound like the hat is straining to spring forward and hit a firing pin ;) .

By the way, djgo-cat-go, nice hat. Is that the standard or the deluxe?

Imperial 'standard'-quality

fenris

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
It can take more than rain.

p2-1.jpg

I do not even have 1/4 the guts to do that to my Fed IV... Nnnooooooo way.

I was even afraid for my hat while walking 4 to 5 blocks in the rain, what more if I did that.

Havana

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
It can take more than rain.

p2-1.jpg

Actions do speak louder than words. Way to go, Indycop!
Now that's what I was talking about earlier. I have one that's been (accidentially) submerged twice. It's fine - possibly even a little cleaner.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
When I first got the hat I didn't care for it so I used it to mow and anyhting rough duty. But it quickly softened up and became more liked. Then when I put the Federation ribbon on it became my favorite Akubra. If I ever do go too far and ruin it I will order a replacement immediately with a wide riddon to sew on. I like my other Akubras but doubt I would replace them when worn out. But I doubt this thing will ever ruin!

Tone

A-List Customer
It's like he's still under while we all watch.
p2-1.jpg

lol COME UP FOR AIR, already!

Interesting about not liking the hat when you first got it. Strange how the paradigm of what makes a good-looking fedora changes after you've had a few different Akubra models to try on - step back and look at them with a fresh set of eyes - and realize how versatile their traditional open-crowned hats really can be made to suit different looks. And look good, too.

Oh. And knowing they really are pretty trustworthy doing whatever, whenever, and where-ever, doesn't hurt. :D

Now...breathe!lol

Neophyte

I'll quickly know what you mean, as my willow green squatter and carbon gry Fedora should be here in 2-3 days. The FED, now that I've soaked it enough to develop some taper and took out the liner to reduce heat, is now my "beater" hat. I will take what I've learned and apply it to the new hats, and then I'll have 3 Akubras in pretty much the only three colors that will work with me. Eventually, I'll buy the FED IV DELUXE in Dark Brown, to replace the standard as a dress hat.

As I've heard around the Lounge, "May you always walk in the shade." Thanks guys for the entertaining stories and helpful advice.

Indycop finally trumps ElvisRoe, who apparently wears his hats even in the shower.lol

Neophyte

That will probably be true, as the Fedora and Squatter are reported to have a little bit of taper to them. I'm trying not to play favorites. I bought three different colors of hat because, honestly, I have about three different categories of colors in my wardrobe. Greens, Browns/Tans/Khakis, and Whites/Blacks/Greys. Logic dictates that I will have a different "favorite" each day, depending on what I'm wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR