Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is this Jacket??

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I was in Seattle a week ago and picked this jacket up at an antique store on the waterfront. The dealer said a man in his 90s had just brought it in that morning and told him he wore it when he was young. Young is relative when your in your 90s. The label is unreadable, but it is in excellent condition and has some awesome graining on it. No missing buttons, zips all work and no holes in the pockets. Any idea's on the time period.

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_12.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_22.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_3.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_4.jpg

fedoralover

Gustav

New in Town
50s i'd guess.

It's a fantastic jacket, if you plan to sell it i'd be very interested in buying it.

The condition looks great, have you fed it with something or was it that shiny when you got it?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I put some lexol on it to soften it up some. I was surprised at how clean it was. I have lost some weight so I was able to wear it. It's about a size 40 I'd guess. I was thinking it was 50s as well but was wondering what others thought.

fedoralover

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's a killer jacket - is it goat? I would guess late 1950's early 1960's , it's a classic design and the pocket flaps are a little unusual (usually just slash pockets with zips on those). Almost (dare I say it) going into Indiana Jones territory.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Yes, looks like Steer- the sheer scale of that grain.
The pleated ½-belt back is giving me a pre-'60s/'50s bias.
But those cuffs are pretty late '40s-'early '50s.

We can only look and point, though.

B
T

I agree. The style is a common fifties one. But the cuff treatment and the belted back say forties to me, maybe even 30s.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Yes, looks like Steer- the sheer scale of that grain.
The pleated ½-belt back is giving me a pre-'60s/'50s bias.
But those cuffs are pretty late '40s-'early '50s.

We can only look and point, though.

B
T

Maybe but I've seen many late 1950's jackets with a back similar to that. Classic designs didn't change all that much with some makers who favoured a conservative approach to maufacture and fashion.

Edward

Bartender
Seb Lucas said:
That's a killer jacket - is it goat? I would guess late 1950's early 1960's , it's a classic design and the pocket flaps are a little unusual (usually just slash pockets with zips on those). Almost (dare I say it) going into Indiana Jones territory.

Yeah, Indy was the first thing I thought! Indy jacket front-style, something different on the belted back. My (wholly inexpert) instinct is to lean towards that post-war A2-influenced period of leather jackets.... I lay no claims to serious knowledge, but I don't think I've seen hand-warmer pockets on anything pre-war?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
A friend of mine has a black light, when we shined it on the label we were able to read it. It says, Hercules, genuine horsehide, Sears and Roebuck Clothing Co. So I'm happy to finally know what brand it is and what the hide is made off.

fedoralover

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
A friend of mine has a black light, when we shined it on the label we were able to read it. It says, Hercules, genuine horsehide, Sears and Roebuck Clothing Co. So I'm happy to finally know what brand it is and what the hide is made off.

fedoralover

That's great news. Call me nuts but can you tell me how much the jacket weighs. I'm guessing 4.5 to 5 pounds. Cheers - Seb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou