Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is your waistline?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tomasso said:
_47206198_trousers_waist466.gif

That natural 'waistline' is pretty low. Your natural waistline traditionally is where you bend from the side or from the front (which is generally about an inch above your belly button), or the narrowest part of your torso. So here, the natural waistline would be at age 45. Is this different for men or something?

LD

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
I'm wider in the middle than I am at both ends. My belt holds my pants up by not slipping past the iliac crest of my pelvis (I had to look that up). So, I'd say my waist is just above my iliac crest. That makes my waist line 192.

Tony

H.Johnson

One Too Many
This is time-related, surely?

If you look at many photographs of 12 year olds taken in the 1930s, their trousers are easily in the '57 year old' position.

davestlouis

Practically Family
John in Covina, I have the same problem, but around here we call it "dickie-do" disease...that's when your belly sticks out farther than your dickie do(pardon the poor English)

Jakeman_2001

New in Town
retro kids

Sometimes I'll see young guys in vintage clothes with high-waisted pants and suspenders. I also think of Brando in "Streetcar."

With a decent physique—either slim or V-shaped—the right high-waisted trouser can look quite dashing.

Youth may be wasted on the young, but hey, maybe high-waisted pants are wasted on the old!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Jakeman_2001 said:
With a decent physique—either slim or V-shaped—the right high-waisted trouser can look quite dashing.

High-waisted pants are also very good for a man who's not 'straight up and down'. With a good cut, they give shape at the rear and definition at the front — with the overall effect of not making you look like a sack of spuds, as can be the case with the belly-over-the-belt look, or the hanging-off-the-hips look.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I wear my belt around my hips. The hip bones provide a natural groove that my belt just likes to lock into. My actual waist -the midpoint between the ribcage and hips- is too thin and I'd look like a Victorian dandy illustration with the exaggerated figure. Not flattering. I dress to hide my twigginess.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:
_47206198_trousers_waist466.gif

"Is there a Fl'r who can Photoshop a Naval on to the diagram so we can "See how the land lies?"

Yes, please. I'm wondering where exactly this information falls if there is a photoshopped navel.

I personally wear my pants up to my navel, sometimes either a bit below or above, depending on the fit of the pants in question, and for the record I'm twenty years old. My pants always sit approximately in the general area of the navel, but I'm not sure if that's really considered high rise, more like medium rise perhaps. The modern low-rise trend has always been one of my pet-peeves... when exactly did low-rise first take off within the past two or three decades anyway? I know in the 60s that there were "hip-huggers," but that's a bit far back, before low-rise became really popular, I would assume.

Derek WC

Banned
I myself wear my trousers usually about 1 1/2" above my naval, although because I also regrettably have dunlap's disease, it just looks plain silly.

Feraud

Bartender
J B said:
I know in the 60s that there were "hip-huggers," but that's a bit far back, before low-rise became really popular, I would assume.
1960's men's trousers, not to be confused with young ladies clothing had a very decent rise to them.
I believe those hip-huggers were a young ladies style. Not for older women to be falling out of the top of..

Probably up until only the last decade men's trousers had a decent amount of rise. A dress shirt would stay mostly tucked in the course of a workday. Jeans fit better too. You could bend over to tie a boot and not show the world your backside.
This modern fad for low rise men's trouser and denim is for the birds..

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
What I find REALLY frustrating is the fact that online shops hardly ever actually list the rise of the trousers in the description.

That and lack of washing instructions are my 2 pet hates about online shopping.
:rage:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I wear my trousers more or less on my navel; maybe an inch or so below, it depends on many things...

Comparing my body with the linked image (for what it's worth...) I'd say I'd look somewhere between 57 and 75! :)

(I'm 36 actually, gladly far away from "trendy teenagers" ;) )

Splenahan

New in Town
I am 18, and wear my pants roughly at my navel (I wear braces), but I have to say that unless someone is in great shape, wearing one's pants or trousers at the hips tends to highlight one's weight. When I started wearing my pants higher (and picked up longer trousers), people thought I lost weight, and once I got rid of belts entirely from my wardrobe, I had no problem keeping them there.

I think he means hippy-type 60s. But the hiphugger jeans and cords were way more of an early 70s thing, rather than late 60s, if photographs of my father are anything to go by.

Feraud said:
1960's men's trousers, not to be confused with young ladies clothing had a very decent rise to them.
I believe those hip-huggers were a young ladies style. Not for older women to be falling out of the top of..

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I wear my pants around the navel. My friends think it's very high already.

I've always worn my pants pretty high, even when I was like 12 or 13. I remember once when this kid tried to punch me in my stomach(around the navel so pretty low) when I was 14. My shirt wasn't tucked in, so he didn't see where my waistline was. His fist hit the belt buckle(it was a metal, big one) and he started crying. I've been laughing about that incident for years lol

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Derek WC said:
The annoying part about having family who used to watch Family Matters is that they constantly say that I look like Steve Urkel. :eusa_doh:

Yeah, I get the Urkel comment on occasion too. Doesn't bother me too much though, and it hasn't made me stop wearing my pants at my navel.

I think he means hippy-type 60s. But the hiphugger jeans and cords were way more of an early 70s thing, rather than late 60s, if photographs of my father are anything to go by.

Right, I was under the impression hippies during the 1960s did wear hip-huggers, but maybe it was more a '70s thing...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm definately 'out to pasture' as far as the diagram goes, (in reality i'm thirty eight), i always wear high-waisted trousers, jeans, pencil skirts etc, still at least my free bus pass will be landing on the door-mat anyday soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart