Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Antique Shiny Brass?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Is it possible to antique / dull the finish on an Aero / Schott jacket fitted with shiny brass hardware?

eggleman

One of the Regulars
This may sound a bit gross , but I know people who've aged the metal hardware on their guitars (to get that road-weary look) , simply by smearing the metal with their own sweat , and leaving it on for a few days .
It's a slow process , which may need to be repeated a few times to get the finish that you're after , but it's hard to do any harm using this technique.

John Lever

One Too Many
The best way is to use a propriety antiquing fluid such as tourmaline. It is used in the antique trade for this very purpose. You need to remove any lacquer or wax first and apply the diluted solution with cotton wool then wash off with water. The stronger the solution and greater the contact time the darker the metal will go. If necessary buff with very find steel wool or newspaper afterwards to give some patination.
Battery acid and very strong vinegar and urine will also work. Wear goggles, gloves and do a test sample first.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
is that battery acid with vinegar and also urine? Or each of those by itself?

If the latter I'd recommend you save money by using your own p***.

Good luck

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've always thought it somewhat disingenuous to apply a patina. There, I said it. Carry on......;)

John Lever

One Too Many
Separate use of the acid or urine. If you have time you could also remove the buttons and bury them for a few years if the patination is against your principles. I find that five years is just about long enough :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Shiny brass will age and patina in time, just through constant rubbing and contact with one's hands. I have a brass watch-chain that does that all the time, and I keep having to buff it with Brasso.

That said, on the opposite side of the fence - if you have brass that you've shineyed up and you want it to stay shiny without constantly having to polish it - how can you treat it to retain the shine?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Shiny brass will age and patina in time, just through constant rubbing and contact with one's hands. I have a brass watch-chain that does that all the time, and I keep having to buff it with Brasso.

That said, on the opposite side of the fence - if you have brass that you've shineyed up and you want it to stay shiny without constantly having to polish it - how can you treat it to retain the shine?
I have seen brass lacquered, but that would be no good if the item was rubbing against anything.

Edward

Bartender
I have antiqued petwr and brass figurines by painting them all over with a gloss black paint - leave to dry for five mines, then rub over all raised areas with a cloth. Not sure I'd try that on a zip, though, and it won't work well with something like a stud that has only one, flat area.

is that battery acid with vinegar and also urine? Or each of those by itself?

If the latter I'd recommend you save money by using your own p***.

Good luck

A lot of the guys on the ACW CSA re-enactment pee on their buttons, or leave them in a jar of their own pee for a week to antique them. It nails the look, though I gather the smell can linger a bit...

I have seen brass lacquered, but that would be no good if the item was rubbing against anything.

A lot of current production brass door fittings are lacquered to save on any need to polish. Trouble is the lacquer clouds and turns over time, and you can't polish that - got to strip and relacquer.

There's lots of ways to accomplish this, and some are really good, but secrets of certain trades. Nothing wrong with getting the shine off of a piece if you wish. I find the obsessive polishing more offensive. Unless you get up at 5AM and scream Urah! at fellow Marines, I prefer the aged look of most brass myself. Re-enacting is a funny thing. This comes up a lot. You have vintage items, and the consensus is to not polish vintage items, but we're re-enacting the 1940's (or whatever time) and you'd have been wearing new items and under military discipline. So there's the polishers and the patina guys. A battle that is never going to be won... lol

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Wow! Thanks for all the great info here guys. Some ideas are definitely a bit more "organic" than others! I went to military school so I'm trying to reverser the years brainwashing of shine shine shine, with dull / dirty / antiqued.

Main reason for the question was that I was looking at a sale aero jacket in black fqhh and it came stock with shiny brass. A bit too loud for my taste. Wanted to see if it was a simple mission to antique it or suck it up and pay full price for a new custom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto