Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to be well groomed.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"Sue avoids red nail polish since it would call attention to her stubby hands"lol lol

lostinthe50's

New in Town
Your welcome love the archives site. And I also notice the stubby hands comment. If that was in a film today it would bring out the stubby handed people in force and they would be sued....lol lol lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This film can also be used to illustrate how many young people found the 1950's to be excruciatingly stultifying. The age of conformity.
If you lived through the 1950's (which I did) the 60's came as no shock.

stillsparkling

New in Town
That was very interesting. I love those educational "how-to" videos, even though most of the things discussed seem really obvious and over-the-top. Thank you for sharing!

swinggal

One Too Many
I think it's a great old piece of film. Obvious and overdone now, to people here, maybe but most people these days are terribly groomed. I constantly shake my head at what people wear in public. I just don't get it.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Dons suit trousers are too short, but I would KILL for that wild geometric shirt he chose not to wear! Unbelievable! :eusa_doh:

I also feel that these films should be shown as a government regulation to everyone in the western world. I feel that most people could learn a thing or two!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
" I like Dons Haircut, but was shocked at the wire coat hangers in the closet, is this an Ed Wood Movie? are Don and Sue Cross Dressers?, is that Don Bushing out his pin curl set, and Sue choosing a tie?, are they brother and sister or a married couple with separate rooms? the mind boggles!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Wood

Glenda.jpg

JimWagner

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
This film can also be used to illustrate how many young people found the 1950's to be excruciatingly stultifying. The age of conformity.
If you lived through the 1950's (which I did) the 60's came as no shock.

:arated:

repeatclicks said:
I also feel that these films should be shown as a government regulation to everyone in the western world. I feel that most people could learn a thing or two!

And I'm sure that was the attitude of the film makers.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
JimWagner said:
:arated:

And I'm sure that was the attitude of the film makers.

And your point is that it is as stifling an attitude today? As a young person living in a massive city, I can't help but notice how sloppy and lazy people are when it comes to style and over all good grooming habits. The reason I made the comment I did, Jim Wagner, is that its nearly 60 years later and we are still as lazy and slovenly as ever.

It's not hard:

Take a shower
Brush your teeth
Wear deoderant
Keep your hair cut and styled
Wear clean clothes, and make sure they look decent. The latest trend doesn't always mean the best looking.

To be honest, I think it's sad that people find even the most basic of hygiene standards difficult.

What's worse is the standard of dress. I went to get my hair cut yesterday morning, and this is what I wore:

1950s Black Gabardine Trousers
1950s Gabardine 'gaucho' or pullover shirt
Black Bass loafers

And some guy said that I looked 'really sharp for so early in the morning!' In the 50s this was casual wear. I accepted his compliment, but it was disheartening to think that people feel that this is 'dressing up' today.

lostinthe50's

New in Town
I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the post. I love watching the educational video's from the 50's and 60's. There is so much taht Mr. Obvious could teach us that we dont think about from day to day...and the sad part is they aren't being passed on to the kiddo's.

I agree that it should be still shown, people obviously need help here, which I find shocking that people can't figure out what is and isn't inappropriate attire!

I was off to Madison this past weekend and ran into a fellow I work with. I was wearing a western shirt, jeans, and cowboy boots, nothing special. He comes up and says to me "Wow, you're sure dressed up, don't get to the big city often?" and my friends all laughed and said "I guess you never see this guy outside of work" I actually had dressed down, so I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb, or look like a ripe target with money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo