Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Break In Horsehide Quickly

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
I've been sleeping in mine and plan to do so for several weeks. Your own body heat works better than other method at molding the leather to your body.

Chainsaw

Suspended
icecold said:
I used to be furiously opposed to any methods of artificially aging leather, but now that I'm battling a heavy FQHH jacket of my own, I understand the appeal, *especially* if I succumb and by more leather jackets than I could possibly naturally break in...

Speaking of my Aero, I've worn it for about a month now and it breaks in nicely, but it has miles and miles to go until it gets an actual weathered look.

The good mechanics always want their tools looking shiny and new. And the shady tree mechanics always want them looking greasy and well used.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:
The good mechanics always want their tools looking shiny and new. And the shady tree mechanics always want them looking greasy and well used.

Yeah? Sounds like one of them home spun myths to me. My dad was a mechanic, his tools were not shiny because he used them, and he used them well. Besides, the analogy is misplaced, he's talking about a jacket. lol

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
You know, I have worn leather jackets of all types (horse, cow, goat, even reindeer) of all weights (including 4+ oz.) from many manufacturers (including Lost Worlds, Aero, Schott) for over forty years. Must be well over a hundred by now. I have worn them in all weathers, from torrential rain through snow to baking heat (in the UK we sometimes get that in a week-end) and I have worked in the leather clothing industry, I used to make leather jackets myself and I have carried out all sorts of activities in leather jackets, from mountaineering to motorcycling (and even, accidentally swimming) and I have never, ever had to artificially 'break in' a leather jacket for any reason.

Moreover, talking to some of my old biker buddies (some of whom are even older than I am) neither have they. We just wear them.

So, what's it all about. eh?

That's funny and a cool observation. But some of us have a different view and we aren't lesser men for throwing our jackets in the washing machine to make them comfortable. Not that you would ever suggest that.:)

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Nothing wrong with break in, if you choose to

As a matter of fact, in certain cases, manually breaking in a jacket can actually even out the potential failure points like between section of stiffer leather and lighter leather (ala pads, cuffs, zipper sewn and reinforced areas) On my Lewis Super Monza I have been applying dressing on the reinforced sections and working them to be more pliable. To do this lessens the stress that these stiffer sections puts on the adjacent softer and thinner panels. The jacket is really only as strong as its weakest areas and its interesting to note what will wear out first in order to plan for it. Its all part of taking care of your stuff.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Well, after waking this morning in my zipped-up jacket, and hopping into the shower with it on...I thought, wow, this does make life simpler. Didn't use a towel, just dove right into the dryer--wait, was it only the jacket you put in?

After the age of 40--or was it 15?--I stopped wearing uncomfortable stuff. I got suits that fit and let me move, shirts same thing...jeans, khakis, underwear, you name it. Yet, we persist in uncomfy outerwear sometimes.

Years ago I was Buenos Aires and bought two rough-out jackets, one from each of the two high-end custom stores there. One was a blue suede that felt great, seemed to fit perfect; the other, a porcupine rough-out from the premiere shop, Casa Lopez, which I regretted immediately. The salesperson--all exemplary, it is very high-end place--(and now to her credit) got me to buy one that was very tight in the shoulders, which jerked the sleeves up a bit. The whole jacket just felt small and short and tight.

But I loved the color and suede of it, it is beautifully made jacket--so I wore it, first over only a t-shirt, 'cause it was so tight...then gradually it loosened up. Today, it is the best-fitting, most comfortable jacket I own. By contrast, the blue suede seems a bit drapey and roomy.

When we have so many jackets and so little time, it is hard not to buy a bit large for fit at the outset...but a bit snug (even very snug) and worn a lot, might make you more satisfied in the long run.

Mark

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
I have been kneading my horsehide jacket like a ball of dough. In just a few days it has really softened up and looks like it has taken on years of wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy