Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean medals?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hi all. The other day I got hold of a few british WWII medals.
One of them - the 1939-1945 Star - is quite "dirty"/aged. Anybody got any tricks how to get it clean?
My guesse is, that it is made of bronze - but I am not too sure.
Thanks.

Cicero

A-List Customer
With lukewarm water and a little bit soap.
U can use a cloth or a soft tootbrush and gently clean the medals.
After that, make it very dry, you can even use a hair drier from a distance to make it perfectly dry.
If preferred you can use some oil (lineseed oil) for storing and preserving the metal/iron parts.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Medal Cleaning MY 2 Cents

Can't speak for WWII Brit medals but on sterling silver Victorian Brit medals the mantra DO NOT clean & remove existing patina. Never do what you can't UNDO!

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Solid Citizen - you are so right.
The patina is everything. The brasso thing I did only cleaned some of the "higher parts" of the medal, which gave it a very nice look - together with the old faded ribbon.
I will try to get som pics posted.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
MR. CAINE

Spitfire,

Like your avatar of Michael Caine from "Battle of Britain". Hard to believe it was like 43 years ago that his carrer took off in "ZULU"

Solid Citizen ;)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I wouldn't clean them, but you could use plain toothpaste, not a gel, or anything fancy. I think it can be used to clean most anything & does not scratch if you have a gentle touch. I use it to clean sterling pieces. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart