Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Imitate a Saddleback Leather bag...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Folks,

This is a great video to watch to just learn about Leather quality and classifications, as well as to see how a well-made bag actually gets made. His advertising here is pretty innovative - and it's been out there a while. Hope this is new & relevant for some...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
How to imitate a Saddleback Bag? Make it out of unyielding ultra heavy leather. Design it with sharp corners and make it so heavy that carrying it is like wearing a house brick around your neck, even when empty. :D I've owned this brand and I know there are many fans.

For me Saddleback is a perfect example of when someone's obsession with over-engineered artisanal craft actually compromises the products usability. My Saddelback briefcase was the best made leather luggage I ever owned that I could never enjoy taking anywhere.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
you aren't supposed to fill it with anything, the overly impractical buckles and straps already tell you that:D, it should be standing near window to get sun and get more character and you put that on for taking a photo, and quickly put it back there.

since yesterday I though it meant as funny thread , some how I thought it meant "how to knock out someone with a saddlebag briefcase"

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You could certainly do both with these. I agree with the thoughts, it's too heavy (just like 6 oz FQHH jackets weighing 10+ lbs are waaaaay too heavy to enjoy wearing, especially while traveling). But it is a fun video and sticks one to those trying to make something on the cheap.

I nearly bought a nice, used "Polo Ralph Lauren" brand "leather " satchel but then noted all the interior panels (vinal) were craked, peeling, and just falling apart. The outside was not much better.

Has anyone tried their canvas & leather backpack? I think it looks like a good, moderate weight option.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There needs to be a middle path. I'm still looking on Etsy for a smaller version of a US Mail style satchel in a thick but soft hide with lovely rounded edges. Everything I see is either way too big or white collar prissy.

Roll2me

Familiar Face
I think saddleback oversell the idea of full grain is the absolute best but I’m putting more weight to the tannery who process the hide.

Full grain leather made by horween and badalassi vs full grain made in India from unknown tannery smell like piss is totally different ball game.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I think saddleback oversell the idea of full grain is the absolute best but I’m putting more weight to the tannery who process the hide.

Full grain leather made by horween and badalassi vs full grain made in India from unknown tannery smell like piss is totally different ball game.
Ton, seems you forgot to mention Shinki which has a gorgeous and pleasant orchid aroma.
Though I also love that very famous sweet aroma of Horween. Obviously, thick and sturdy Horween leathers have their huge fans, me incl.))
Saddlebacks smell nice to my taste, what to say of how Saddlebacks look like. That's the perfection by all means!

Last edited:

OneEyeMan

Practically Family

dan_t

Practically Family
Yeah, they’re horrible.....
;)
E142AF75-E205-40CA-A9DB-0420FD98C0DE.png
7FEBEB5D-54B8-4522-9060-538BF14D2E7C.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

They look good, but they look like most Saddleback bags i have seen, unused because of their weight...

I wanted a waterbag for ages (bottom center one on the second pic), and then a friend bought the large backpack.
That thing is 6lb empty, by the time you add a few bits and bobs you are carrying 15-20lb.
He lent it to me to try for a bit and a few days was enough for me to know i would never enjoy using one day to day.
Might as well just fill all your pockets with rocks, it's more fun and more practical.

Edit: and my friend has since sold his backpack on eBay and bought a NorthFace one that weighs less than 2lb...

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
Their products look nice but I'll echo other's opinions since I used to own quite a few Saddleback pieces. All I kept was a couple of desk pads and their 2nd gen Duffel bag. I do have one of their rifle cases but it only fits small rifles like a small 30-30 lever action or .22 so that is not practical at all. It cost too much to send back for a refund so I kept it for my lever action.

Like Carlos, I did not like their packs and I think it fit not very well. It also dug into my back and bounced around due to the weight so I sold it.

In my opinion, the briefcases are overbuilt and will last a lifetime, but I find them kind of heavy and bulky so after a few years of fighting with them, off they went. I bought my wife one for work and she never uses it since she thinks it is way too heavy when they are filled with a laptop, books, paperwork ect so it just sits in the closet going unused. I'll use it in a couple weeks as a carry on when we go on a vacation but I am not looking forward to lugging that boat anchor around the airport for 5 hours and then another airport for another 3 hours on our layover.

This is just all my opinion so take with a grain of salt, but for everyday use, I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Cornelius

Practically Family
There needs to be a middle path. I'm still looking on Etsy for a smaller version of a US Mail style satchel in a thick but soft hide with lovely rounded edges. Everything I see is either way too big or white collar prissy.

I've used a Filson medium field bag for six or seven years; picked it up at a duck hunter's estate sale secondhand for $40 or so. May have been 20 years old at that point already but still looked brand-new. Clever pocket layout and it's large enough to carry whatever I might need but small enough that I can't overload it - I've use it as an everyday work "briefcase," emergency grocery bag, and as a carry-on for world travel (I think I lived out of it for a week in Mexico once). Love the thing, would definitely buy another if this falls apart in my lifetime.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=filson+medium+field+bag&t=ffsb&ia=images&iax=images

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
This guy is quite the character.

FWIW, I use mine all the time. The trick is to get the smallest bag you need, and cut off all the unnecessary buckles.

I don't know call it blasphemy if you will but I have my old Eddie Bauer messenger bag bought off the Bay for $60. Solid thick leather, great fastenings/closures. This will outlast me. And it left me lots of money with which to buy more leather jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This guy is quite the character.

FWIW, I use mine all the time. The trick is to get the smallest bag you need, and cut off all the unnecessary buckles.

I assumed this comment was intended as a joke. Good one too. This luggage will only work for you if you under spec it and cut bits off it to keep it light. :D

Incidentally I bought a Saddleback wallet and coin purse too. Wallets are hard to get wrong and this one is ok. But the coin purse is also so over engineered and thick that putting it in a pocket, as you would an ordinary coin purse, is impossible. It's basically a leather box for storing coins which also stays at home on a shelf looking pretty.

Last edited:

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
I assumed this comment was intended as a joke. Good one too. This luggage will only work for you if you under spec it and cut bits off it to keep it light. :D

Incidentally I bought a Saddleback wallet and coin purse too. Wallets are hard to get wrong and this one is ok. But the coin purse is also so over engineered and thick that putting it in a pocket, as you would an ordinary coin purse, is impossible. It's basically a leather box for storing coins which also stays at home on a shelf looking pretty.

Ha ha, I'm actually serious. I have one of their slim briefcases that just fit my 13" laptop, a leather-bound notepad, a tablet, a book, chargers, and some other knick-knacks. I also took a plier to many of the heavy rings all around because I'm never going to wear this bag as a backpack. It works great for me. Perfect weight, and can take a beating. It is also aging nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ