Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep moths away?

Muzz

New in Town
Hey folks,

I just moved to Colorado and there are more moths here than I thought possible! They keep getting in the house no matter how fast I shut the door. I keep my hats hung on a wall, is there a good way to keep the moths at bay without putting them (the hats) all in boxes with cedar/moth balls? I would like to keep them out for aesthetic/accessibility purposes.

Thanks!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Muzz said:
never mind, found it......

a015.gif

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Somebody told me that what we popularly call "moth" damage is actually from silverfish. Any comments? I'm learning.

Weird...

From Wikipedia:
The favourite food of silverfish is any matter that contains starch or polysaccharides, such as dextrin in adhesives. These include glue, book bindings, paper, photos, sugar, hair, and dandruff. Silverfish can also cause damage to books, tapestries, and textiles. Silverfish will commonly graze in and around showers, baths, and sinks on the cellulose present in many shampoos, shaving foams and so on. Apart from these cases, the damage caused by silverfish is negligible and they have no direct effect on human health beyond psychological distress to people who dislike them. Other substances that may be eaten include cotton, linen, silk and synthetic fibres, and dead insects or even its own exuvia (moulted exoskeleton). During famine, a silverfish may even attack leatherware and synthetic fabrics. In extreme cases, silverfish may live for a year without eating.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Don't confuse...

The big old hairy things that fly around your outside lights at night with the little buggers that like wool and fur felt. It's the smaller -- light avoiding -- fiends that cause us all so much worry.

There are SEVERAL good threads here about moth control. Search and ye shall find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou