Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Size a 2nd Hand Leather Jacket Online

grandiose

New in Town
Humor me I'm a newbie , some of these questions may be dumb.

I am interested in getting my first leather jacket and decided to go second hand. I've seen a lot of great pieces on the classifieds here, but I have no idea what I need to do to get a good fit.

Do I just take measurements from a jacket I already own, or are there special considerations for sizing leather jacket versus a fabric jacket?

What's the value of the sizing (ex. 38, 40, or 42)? I had thought it was chest sizes, but it seems like there is a lot of variation.

Many of the jackets we buy are custom made, and sizes are all over the place. Someone once said “ignore the tag- go by the measurements.” It is very good advice. Going second hand is a lot of fun, and takes some of the cost-risk out of the equation. What style do you have in mind?

grandiose

New in Town
Many of the jackets we buy are custom made, and sizes are all over the place. Someone once said “ignore the tag- go by the measurements.” It is very good advice. Going second hand is a lot of fun, and takes some of the cost-risk out of the equation. What style do you have in mind?

I 've gone back and forth on what to get, but at the moment I am leaning towards getting an A2. It's a classic, not so showy that I'd feel weird wearing it, and I figure I'd probably keep it even if I end up getting a different jacket later down the line.

I 've gone back and forth on what to get, but at the moment I am leaning towards getting an A2. It's a classic, not so showy that I'd feel weird wearing it, and I figure I'd probably keep it even if I end up getting a different jacket later down the line.

With A2's, you needn't worry about sizing since it's pretty much a sweatshirt made out of leather. Find one in the size number that you wear, double-check by asking if the pit to pit measurement works for you and you're as good as you can be buying one without trying it on.

Talk things through with the seller- especially if they’ve been around awhile. Japanese makers like RMC make beautiful jackets but they can run a size small. Certain models are baggy, while other contracts are slim. Sleeve length is important as the knits can tunnel and disappear if they are too long. As simple as the fitting of an A-2 might seem, it can be difficult. Eastman makes great looking A-2s and they do a slim-fit model. Older LL Bean versions in goat go cheaply on eBay, and I’ve heard they’re great. Look at the ones with numbered sizes and go down one size for layering/ two sizes for a trim fit.

Last edited:

grandiose

New in Town
With A2's, you needn't worry about sizing since it's pretty much a sweatshirt made out of leather. Find one in the size number that you wear, double-check by asking if the pit to pit measurement works for you and you're as good as you can be buying one without trying it on.

You bring up a good point. I realize a classic A2 is boxy by design, if I were to want something non-traditional with a bit more modern/tapered fit what brands should I look for?

grandiose

New in Town
Talk things through with the seller- especially if they’ve been around awhile. Japanese makers like RMC make beautiful jackets but they can run a size small. Certain models are baggy, while other contracts are slim. Sleeve length is important as the knits can tunnel and disappear if they are too long. As simple as the fitting of an A-2 might seem, it can be difficult. Eastman makes great looking A-2s and they do a slim-fit model. Older LL Bean versions in goat go cheaply on eBay, and I’ve heard they’re great. Look at the ones with numbered sizes and go down one size for layering/ two sizes for a trim fit.

Exactly the info I was looking for in my previous response, thanks

You bring up a good point. I realize a classic A2 is boxy by design, if I were to want something non-traditional with a bit more modern/tapered fit what brands should I look for?

I really like the way Eastman looked on me. It's got some slight taper to the sleeves and waist but I couldn't tell you for sure what to look for as the A2's just aren't my thing. I still occasionally give the style a try but it just never works out for me.

Ralph Lauren makes an excellent A2, as well - Though many purists will tell you it's not an actual A2 - because RRL knows that at the end of the day, we all just want a great fitting jacket and that's how they're making theirs. It's definitely more form fitting and personally, it's what I'd suggest but then again, I don't know if you're into historical accuracy and all that stuff so I dunno...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko