Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to stop sides of brim from curving?

deadhead

New in Town
Folks,

Hope all is well here. I haven't been on for a while.

Although I love my 58cm Fed IV, I don't like it as much when I put it on. I've got a long oval cranium, and if I need to pull the hat down a little because of wind, the sides of the brim curve up in a wave. It looks horrible. Is there anything I can do to this hat to stop it from happening? I was thinking of stretching the hat slightly while wet and keeping the brim flat using books. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

deadhead

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I also have LO head, and a size 59 Fed IV. When I got it, I had to pad the sides to make it fit my head all the way around. Over time, the hat began to conform to my head and I removed the padding. What I noticed is that the brim began to take on the very shape you dislike (which I do like) because of the change of the shape of the sweatband.

So, perhaps you could pad the sides of your Fed IV to bring it back to a regular oval when it sits on your head, hence flattening out your brim the way you like it. You may need to stretch the hat out a bit, but allowing the hat to sit on your head in its natural shape. This may be the only 'permanent' way, iow without having to iron the brim every week, for instance, to make the brim do what you want it to.

deadhead

New in Town
I think the real answer is to replace the 58 with a 59. I have a 59 Campdraft and don't have that problem with it. However, I felt the 59 was too big when I got it. Now, it's great.

I'd like to try anything short of getting a new hat. I'll pad the sides, but if I need a 59, making the 58 smaller seems like it won't be very comfortable.

Thanks,

deadhead

You can send it off the a hatter to be reblocked & flanged. When I have to use a stetcher to get a LO shape to modern round hats, I get wonky shaped brims. I take a steam iron with a thin cloth & press the brim myself if the hat is not of value to send to a pro.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
you could try hanging some little weights to the sides ;)

f5dd01b4.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think the real answer is to replace the 58 with a 59. I have a 59 Campdraft and don't have that problem with it. However, I felt the 59 was too big when I got it. Now, it's great.

I'd like to try anything short of getting a new hat. I'll pad the sides, but if I need a 59, making the 58 smaller seems like it won't be very comfortable.

Thanks,

deadhead

Thats a good idea, but I had figured if the hat had fit him originally, it can fit him again with a little stretching. The 59 may just be too-too big. The money-no-object solution is to have a custom hat made. =o)

deadhead

New in Town
scotty,

I am the original poster, and I posted the message you quoted above.

I have BOTH a 58cm Fed IV and a 59cm Campdraft. When I first got the Campdraft, I thought it was too big. I was actually plannig to sell it. After wetting the sweatband several times, and wearing the hat for a while, it fits great with no wavy brim. The Fed IV fit great out of the box. Now, with wear, I suppose it has shrunk a bit. The wave is just too much for my tastes.

deadhead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR