Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to use real vintage phones on your cell phone line

rcfko

Familiar Face
Here's an idea:

step 1) buy 12v DC Cigarette Lighter Plug to 110v AC adaptor for car
step 2) connect xLink BT to Cigarette socket
step 3) link cell to unit to Rotary Phone in the car
step 4) install rotary phone on dash like the Adam West Batmobile.
:eek:

yeah.

rcfko

Familiar Face
yhst-34207682198080_2105_1074264

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Homer Hudson said:
Firstly ladies and gentlemen, as this is my first post here, I thank you for the privilege of allowing my presence in this noblest of establishments. I look forward to the exchange of ideas, information and pleasantries with you all.

Dear Mr. Bustercat, your office "Mid century steelcases, all office equipment is from this era except the computer stuff. (grr!)" looks positively delightful, and I particularly admire the ball top dialling pencil.

Should you wish to reduce the level of "grr", (and if I may be so bold) I would recommend you look here for some delightful ideas on how to best incorporate the latest in Golden Era electro-computational devices.
ain30-desktop.jpg

If portability is of concern, perhaps this may prove more suitable...
DSC01008.JPG

Kind Regards,
HH

Truly Magnificent work of aart sir. I to am a craftsmen.

rcfko

Familiar Face
rcfko said:

Now a day there is a new law prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving in many states and provinces. I wonder if the same law applies to the use of rotary phones.:)

Can you imagine the look on the police officer's face when he/she sees me with a rotary phone earpiece held between my ear and shoulder when he/she pulls me over.lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I just got my xLink today, and I'm having trouble. I can't get it to dial out correctly. It appears the xlink is having trouble picking up the pulses from my Western Electric rotary phone. I try dialing a friend, and get an automated message from my cell carrier saying my call can't be completed as dialed. Checking my outgoing call log on my cell, the number dialed is wrong. Sometimes it has only six numbers in the phone number instead of the full seven, and some I dialed are off by one (ex: a 3 instead of a 4). Is this an issue with the xlink, or my rotary phone? Would it help if I installed updates?

Bingles

A-List Customer
I had this problem with my WE candlestick phone. The xlink only offers pule dialing as an added bonus.. it's not exactly it's main feature. With some phones, it misreads the pulses that a normal phone line would easily recognize. The solution for me was to purchase a dialgizmo from this site: http://www.dialgizmo.com/ Works like a charm now!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I had this problem with my WE candlestick phone. The xlink only offers pule dialing as an added bonus.. it's not exactly it's main feature. With some phones, it misreads the pulses that a normal phone line would easily recognize. The solution for me was to purchase a dialgizmo from this site: http://www.dialgizmo.com/ Works like a charm now!

Thanks Bingles! That may be the problem. I'm using the old rotary phone I've used on a landline for years, so I know there is no problem with the rotary mechanism itself. I was able to test incoming calls, and it worked great. Hopefully with the dialgizmo, it will work completely.

Chicago Jimmy

Familiar Face
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to connect all my house phones to this without running lines from each phone to a splitter?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, I bought a Dialgizmo and attached it to my line. Now my setup works irregularly. I figured out pretty quickly to move the entire setup away from my broadband modem, as that must have been throwing off the Dialgizmo and Xlink and giving me rapid beeps as an error message. Now, the Dialgizmo irregularly inserts the tones after dialing on my rotary. I'm checking my phone throughout the day, and it sometimes is connected and works correctly to dial out, and other times not. Unfortunately, I don't get many incoming calls, so I haven't been able to check that much. Any other ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21