Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

https://bernardhats.com/hat-companies/cavanagh-hats/

What i
Vintage NOS
Cavanagh Olive Felt Hat. Size 7
Frank Sinatra Choice of Hats
Comes from Private Collection in Norwalk Ct
$350.00

John Cavanagh, a New York Hatter, began his career in 1880.
Cavanagh went to work for William A. Brown hatters of Norwalk at the age of 17. He worked as a sizer, trimmer, finisher, expert cutter, curler, and plant superintendent.In 1880 he began working for Crofut & Knapp, where he was mentored by James H. Knapp. By 1907, Cavanagh was vice-president of Crofut & Knapp, and from 1923 to 1937, he was president of the company.

In 1928 Cavanagh created the company of Cavanagh-Dobbs Inc., which included his own hat label, Cavanagh Hats, and a retail outlet in New York City, John Cavanagh Ltd.
s the age of this hat?

Mcox47

Familiar Face
Price seems optimistic and you should have posted in the Classified section, not here. More info on the actual hat would be useful too, like the correct size (6 7/8 vs 7) and dimensions.

Looks like a 1960's hat to me.

Vintage NOS
Cavanagh Olive Felt Hat. Size 7
Frank Sinatra Choice of Hats
Comes from Private Collection in Norwalk Ct
$350.00

John Cavanagh, a New York Hatter, began his career in 1880.
Cavanagh went to work for William A. Brown hatters of Norwalk at the age of 17. He worked as a sizer, trimmer, finisher, expert cutter, curler, and plant superintendent.In 1880 he began working for Crofut & Knapp, where he was mentored by James H. Knapp. By 1907, Cavanagh was vice-president of Crofut & Knapp, and from 1923 to 1937, he was president of the company.

In 1928 Cavanagh created the company of Cavanagh-Dobbs Inc., which included his own hat label, Cavanagh Hats, and a retail outlet in New York City, John Cavanagh Ltd.

As has been said, this should have been posted in the classifieds not here. I watch the vintage hat market closely, and your pricing doesn’t seem to be commensurate with the age, style, dimensions, or size of the hat. Unfortunately, hats in 6 ⅞, even the better ones, rarely break the $100 mark and most often sell for a good deal less than that.

Harlemraggz

New in Town
It’s all about Nostalgia…
I’m true to the Vintage style I want to wear. So I know and any collector should know nothing feels better on or looks better than the real thing…

It’s all about your priorities, you either love authenticity in Vtg Clothing and accessories or you don’t.

I love vintage hats and I buy about 200 of them a year. I’m very attuned to the vintage hat market and what they sell for. Loving something doesn’t mean you should pay more than market price for it. Those members here lucky enough to wear the smaller sizes regularly post gems that they came by at fabulous prices. You’re spoiled for choice if you are a 6 ⅞ and like vintage hats.

Last edited:
I guess you’re right, However I’m a dealer who knows, I’ve got 35 plus years experience, the best advice I can offer to a potential buyer is research research research!

A lot of "dealers who know" market 60s schmattas as 40s hats. The fact you won't show the tags speaks volumes.

I wouldn't give you $50 for it, even if it fit me.

A few of us around here have a bit of experience, too.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
It’s all about Nostalgia…
I’m true to the Vintage style I want to wear. So I know and any collector should know nothing feels better on or looks better than the real thing…

Welcome to the site. I think you're attracting, deservedly, some pushback, perhaps you're not reading the room very well. This site has as members some of the biggest collectors, most knowledgable players, and longtime dealers and flippers of vintage hats. The majority of people that come here are already sold on authenticity and vintage clothing and headwear.

and My friendly and well meaning advice to you is to have a look around the Hats forum and Classifieds before digging yourself any deeper, and sell your items based on their provenance, condition, rarity, desirability, etc, rather than trying to blind us with buckets of pixie dust, LOL !

Harlemraggz

New in Town
A lot of "dealers who know" market 60s schmattas as 40s hats. The fact you won't show the tags speaks volumes.

I wouldn't give you $50 for it, even if it fit me.

A few of us around here have a bit of experience, too.
I have the Hat, It was just a post, I’m not expecting to sell it here, I’ve been on this site since 2014, I’ve, never listed anything here mainly because I have, Private Clients , who are well connected in the Film & Entertainment Industry, that I’m intouch on a regular basis, that Buy from me.
So this now and the site is just a place to look and see.
The size is the tag, there
There are no other tags. what you see is what you get. I say research because, of the where, the who & the what, this hat came from.
As far as the $50.00 comment, I’m not insulted…
that’s a reflection on you not me…..
Best Wishes

Last edited:

Harlemraggz

New in Town
Welcome to the site. I think you're attracting, deservedly, some pushback, perhaps you're not reading the room very well. This site has as members some of the biggest collectors, most knowledgable players, and longtime dealers and flippers of vintage hats. The majority of people that come here are already sold on authenticity and vintage clothing and headwear.

and My friendly and well meaning advice to you is to have a look around the Hats forum and Classifieds before digging yourself any deeper, and sell your items based on their provenance, condition, rarity, desirability, etc, rather than trying to blind us with buckets of pixie dust, LOL !
Thanks for The Welcome
However I’ve been on here since 2014.
I won’t bore you with a lot of nonsense.
I am, who I am, that’s just that!
I’m only here to Share and have fun.
Warmest Regards

Harlemraggz

New in Town
I love vintage hats and I buy about 200 of them a year. I’m very attuned to the vintage hat market and what they sell for. Loving something doesn’t mean you should pay more than market price for it. Those members here lucky enough to wear the smaller sizes regularly post gems that they came by at fabulous prices. You’re spoiled for choice if you are a 6 ⅞ and like vintage hats.
I think, I’ve been misunderstood. It’s my fault I apologize…
This post was just a friendly post to really share my eye and collection.
Selling was not a top priority I have a site for that.
I will edit this post and make it clear.
Cheers

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Thanks for The Welcome
However I’ve been on here since 2014.
I won’t bore you with a lot of nonsense.
I am, who I am, that’s just that!
I’m only here to Share and have fun.
Warmest Regards

I didn't research your profile before posting, sorry to mistake you for a newly joined member. Your avatar says new in town due to your low number of postings.

Anyway, carry on, and good luck here.

Harlemraggz

New in Town
I didn't research your profile before posting, sorry to mistake you for a newly joined member. Your avatar says new in town due to your low number of postings.

Anyway, carry on, and good luck here.
No problem, that’s the issue with modern technology…lol
Thanks One Drop

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I guess you’re right, However I’m a dealer who knows, I’ve got 35 plus years experience, the best advice I can offer to a potential buyer is research research research!

Perhaps you can help us by showing us what indicates the hat is from the '50s and not the '60s? I'm curious, especially since you seem to be saying the hat remained unchanged from the 1920's to the 1950s.

Regarding the value, IME it's the actual date of manufacture that determines desirability (and not the date of the introduction of the hat model) and hence price, because of the age and rarity, and also since most older hats that were made by the same company over the decades of the last century went down in quality over the years, but of course there are exceptions, and exceptions to the rule of 'older = more expensive'.

In other words, just because a hat was made in the same style from, say, 1920 to 1960, a real 1920 vintage example will fetch far more money than the 1960 model, all else being equal.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
1950’s
However, They didn’t change the style of the hat from the 1920’s read the article posted about Mr Cavanagh
Thanks
Regarding Style not changing from the 1920s to the 1950s, that is categorically False.

Regarding your "article" posted about Mr. Cavanagh (which I suspect is just text ripped from Wikipedia or some other web site), how is that even relevant?

So your selling strategy is "I'll Fleece you if I can" ?

As a dealer who knows with 35 plus yrs Experience, I would think you should have a clear Understanding of your Target Mkt. Listing a 6-7/8 stingy brim from the late 50s or early 60s for $350 on this forum shows a clear lack of Understanding of your Target Mkt.

I have the Hat, It was just a post, I’m not expecting to sell it here, I’ve been on this site since 2014, I’ve, never listed anything here mainly because I have, Private Clients , who are well connected in the Film & Entertainment Industry, that I’m intouch on a regular basis, that Buy from me.
So this now and the site is just a place to look and see.

The size is the tag, there
There are no other tags. what you see is what you get. I say research because, of the where, the who & the what, this hat came from.
Then why list this Hat for sale for $350?

Can you please elaborate beyond circular referencing your ripped text above on the Where, Who, and What this hat came from? My understanding is that this hat likely came from the northeast, under the Cavanagh line (though by this time part of the Hat Corporation of America conglomerate), and was made of rabbit fur.

No problem, that’s the issue with modern technology…lol
Thanks One Drop
This statement makes no sense. It has nothing to do with Modern Technology.

All that being said, it is a Free mkt economy and you are welcome to list your hat for sale for whatever you Wish. Blowing smoke up people's a***es, however, is probably not the best way to go about trying to make a Sale on this forum. Your Classifieds Buyer more than likely has a very good Understanding of the Value of the good(s) being sold (Frunos valuation is spot on, btw). See comment above about Understanding Target Mkt.

Perhaps eBay or another selling platform would be better suited to find a potential Buyer. If eBay, I suggest you check out sawinokur8083 and Dad's Collection. I think you two would get along Fabulously.

(NOTE: Words randomly abbreviated and/or capitalized done on purpose.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner