Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HUFVUD HATMAKER | Lund, Sweden

I thank you all for your thoughtful replies. A theme that runs through all of them is that I should write to Mikael. I was actually thinking of doing that before I decided first to look for a thread on Hufvud on this site and see what guidance I could get here. But writing to Mikael will be my next step.

I have often considered this possibility. That's why I don't assume that I should just ask for a hatmaker to reproduce the sort of dimensions that I have become comfortable with. Maybe I shall like something different. But, as you also observe, one should not spend several hundred dollars to have a hat made without having a better idea of how it is likely to suit one. Seeing hats of various designs on other people's heads gives an impression of the hats, but I don't think it gives a reliable idea of how the hats will look on one's own head. For example, I have admired some pork pie hats worn by other men, but when I try one on and look in the mirror, I think I look like a complete dork.

Thanks for the information. I suspected that the shape was to some extent dependent on how the crown is finished, but this makes clear that to some extent also it is unalterable, so that one had better know which sort of shape one wants before ordering a hat made.

Is the Olav available in olive? (Not a serious question; just couldn't resist saying it.)
Yes, ordering and receiving a custom hat, in my experience, is a very special process and so much fun. I would hate for it to turn out badly for you...not to mention the $$$. I have made a few mistake purchases but always with used/vintage hats that didn't cost much and never with a custom. I waited a number of years into my collecting until I was settled on what I liked/what looked good on me before I ordered my first custom. These days I will wear pretty much anything EXCEPT for a pork pie. Early on I was very attracted to a pork pie and wanted one so very much....but each time I tried one on I looked like a low rent Popeye Doyle.....not a good look. It took a while but finally convinced myself the pork pie was for 'others'.....not me. Best of luck on your hunt for the next great hat.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
Have to be careful on that eBay....can be an addiction lol. As to Mikael and his hats...they're absolutely phenomenal !! I had him make me a slightly revised version of his Leifur hat and couldn't be more pleased. It has all the characteristics that I was looking for in that particular style of hat (a more 'worn in' but still classic looking piece). His hats just have a certain charm and aesthetic that I haven't seen with other makers. And as others have mentioned, he answers his emails scarily quick and is super nice. I've no doubt that I'll be ordering another one of his creations at some point down the road.

Like @Big Steve, and all those who have dealt with Mikael have said, his customer service is as exceptional as his hatting. It’s not uncommon for some hatters to not answer emails or make me ask three times before they can be bothered to reply two weeks later. I know they are busy, but their lack of service often borders on rudeness. Mikael not only responds quickly he also goes to some effort to answer all aspects of the issues. He’s just easy to deal with and he treats his customers like he really values them. I like supporting people and businesses like that.

I just saw a Stetson The Vogue sell on eBay and I was struck at the similarities between it and the Hufvud in emerald gray; although, the bindings are quite different:

Stetson:

64855F90-0D26-4923-BBC9-102A92FA841D.jpeg
A4742F3F-5D7C-437A-8E82-1ED5D5F0A95D.jpeg
F0BD879C-B50B-4813-B44E-CBA0E9D76680.jpeg

Hufvud:

6AB5647E-E126-4C03-A9BE-C757981C6867.jpeg

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I have finally taken my first steps towards a custom fedora. I chose Hufvud because of the great comments here and the stellar hats that Mikael creates.

So far Mikael’s communication is outstanding. He has quickly answered my questions, which gives me a sense of peace about choosing him. I’m excited about the process.

Steven

I have finally taken my first steps towards a custom fedora. I chose Hufvud because of the great comments here and the stellar hats that Mikael creates.

So far Mikael’s communication is outstanding. He has quickly answered my questions, which gives me a sense of peace about choosing him. I’m excited about the process.

Steven

Isn’t his communication outstanding? He is so attentive and on top of everything that it just instills confidence. The emerald gray looks to be a great color and it’s what I also chose. My only real criticism of Hufvud is his pricey brim binding.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Isn’t his communication outstanding? He is so attentive and on top of everything that it just instills confidence. The emerald gray looks to be a great color and it’s what I also chose. My only real criticism of Hufvud is his pricey brim binding.

Brent, I couldn’t agree more. I made multiple inquiries with different vendors about getting a custom fedora. Nobody was as responsive as Mikael. I feel very confident in my decision to use Hufvud.

I chose a raw edge brim and the 25mm blue steel ribbon for a less formal look. I was originally thinking of rust brown, but the emerald gray just “spoke” too me.

Steven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I made my selection with Mikael. I chose the 30X beaver in emerald gray. I wanted a slight contrast with my ribbon, so I chose blue steel.

View attachment 294007

I’m excited to see how my choices coupled with Mikael’s craftsmanship turns out.
Now the wait begins. :)

Steven

I will watch with peaked interest as your felt and ribbon choices I have considered. Of late he has been sharing pics of some darn fine hats. Steven, your choices bode well for an outstanding outcome.

Eric -

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points