Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss - help wanted

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I have just finished reading The Beautiful Fall by Alicia Drake. The book describes the fashion scene in Paris in the 1970s, and 'creative tensions' experienced by the likes of St. Laurent and Lagerfeld. Not 'my period', but it reminded me of a book I read some time ago about Hugo Boss in Germany in the 1930s.

As I recall, it explained that the original Boss designed uniforms for the Nazi party in the prewar period and was contracted after the outbreak of war to produce military uniforms - I seem to recall that it alleged that he designed the SS uniform. I think it also alleged that after the invasions of Poland and Czechoslovakia forced labour (largely female) was conscripted to do war work in Boss factories. At the time I did not really consider the reliability of the work as a reference.

I would like to read the book again now that I am more knowledgeable and more critical, but I can't remember the title or author (black mark for a professional researcher!). Can anyone help me?

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland