Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

human hair nets

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I was going through ebay and came across someone selling vintage "human hair nets". I am so confused. These are hair nets right, to keep hair in place or outta food?????

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
pretty faythe said:
I was going through ebay and came across someone selling vintage "human hair nets". I am so confused. These are hair nets right, to keep hair in place or outta food?????

Some of them were actually made from human hair.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
As I understand, (and I am really NOT an expert at this), the crazy Victorians loved to collect the hair of their brushes and then make something "nice" out of it: They would make false braids and such, to add to their hair, and I have also seen hair nets made of hair.

Stranger even, they loved to crotch with hair and make it into jewelry! (Am I the only one who finds this a bit creepy? I also wonder if they only used their own hair, or if they used other peoples hair worn around their necks? Could you give your hair away as a gift? "Happy birthday, Sis, I got you this lump of hair I found when I was cleaning the shower drain!")

Also, on a more practical note, hair has been blended into wool when knitting, as it makes the garment stronger. Especially useful in the heel of socks!

Annalai

New in Town
Well this art is still living in Sweden but it is not common. It is still women who makes things from hair and try to keep this art alive and it is growing in Europa. You can send your own hair and have something made from it. Before women for example braided a clockchain for their husbands.
This is some history text about it.
http://www.hairwork.com/remember.htm

This text is in Swedish but has some photos of hair jewelry. The women on the photo started to make this in 1992.
http://www.hig.se/~lbs/v_hus/harkull.html

Well I agree in a way it is creepy but so many use hair extensions from real human hair today and no one raise an eyebrow because of it.

I even think some members in here make hair rats from their own cleaned collected hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy