Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HUMIDITY!!!

johnnyelvis

New in Town
So I have been running into a bit of an issue down here in Florida.Nothing seems to be able to handle this central florida humidity. Any tips or suggestions? I just moved here from NYC and it is quite the adjustment. Not getting any hold and I'll sweat like a dog and it just melts away!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
NY to Florida ... Ouch! that is an adjustment. I don't know what would work for you, but I'd like to go ahead and welcome you to the Lounge. ;)

mattfink

Practically Family
You must be talking pomade? Murrays is the only thing I could recommend...that an a couple layers of hairspray on top.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
New York City is hardly arid -- the humidity here's brutal enough. Can't imagine suffering through a Florida summer.

I might have to resort to a crewcut, if forced to spend the summer months there.

johnnyelvis

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, I haven't tried hairspray, it feels like such a cop out ha ha but maybe i'll have to try for the summer. I can't bring myself to do the crew cut so its been lots of slick backs and fedoras.

vintage68

Practically Family
I feel your pain. I moved from an arid climate, Colorado, to central Florida a few years ago. I lasted almost exactly a year to the day. Just couldn't take the humidity, the bugs, the crotch rot, etc. Unghh.

One thing I highly recommend is buying a dehumidifier. I bought a huge one and stuck it in my bedroom. If you have firearms or anything prone to rust I can't say enough about getting the best you can afford. It'll help with the indoor climate too, so at least you can be happy in your own home.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I use Paul Mitchell hair paste. My hair is thick and straight, and this product holds it back even in humid weather.

A good haircut is important, too. Tell your barber about your problem, and he should be able to help. My hairstylist texturizes my hair now and then to give it a better hold.

Good luck.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
johnnyelvis said:
Thanks for the welcome, I haven't tried hairspray, it feels like such a cop out ha ha but maybe i'll have to try for the summer. I can't bring myself to do the crew cut so its been lots of slick backs and fedoras.

Honestly, get over the hairspray thing. Nobody knows nor cares if you use it. Its been hot over here in London but my hair is holding up fine. Use a thicker pomade in the summer if it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points