Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunting for the perfect jeans

xanderick

New in Town
A couple years back, I found myself the "perfect" pair of jeans. Due to an ever-widening hole in the seat, I've been forced to retire them. So I begin shopping around to discover that my jeans have been discontinued, and that apparently, nobody makes jeans that fit like them.

What I'm looking for is a slim, normal/high waisted, boot-cut jean, and I can't find anything so far. What I keep finding are slim/boot jeans that are ridiculously low on the hips. Does anyone out there still make slim boot jeans that aren't low-waisted? I'm at my wit's end.

Here's an example of the type of fit I'm talking about:
http://www.myfashioncents.com/files/2009/10/00041f1.jpg

So far, I've tried Levi's and everything else you can think of in most department stores. So if anyone out there has any thoughts on where to find jeans like this, please share!

Alternatively, I've seen a few sites where you can mail off a pair of jeans, and they will custom-tailor another pair that matches the exact dimensions. I'm kind of skeptical, but if anyone has had any experiences with them, let me know.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Levis 501's are higher waisted and while not boot cut, fit over boots just fine. That's a little too obvious though, and I would imagine they aren't what you're looking for.

MB5

One of the Regulars
For a high waisted jean, I like Carhartt dungarees that sit at the natural waist (not all do so check the labels). They are not "boot cut" but have a large leg opening to fit over boots and a straight leg. Unfortunately, you have to get a jean with utility pockets on the side to get that fit, though they have been quite useful. You may find one of their other cuts comfortable though, as a few others do sit at the natural waist and should fit over boots.

xanderick

New in Town
All of the suggestions are good in the sense that they fit much better in the waist--the thing I get particular about is having the more fitted cut in the seat and thighs. I'm rather tall and slender, so the standard fits--while good--always turn out too baggy.

And perhaps what I really need to do is get in touch with a tailor--which seems like it could be a bit price-y.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
All of the suggestions are good in the sense that they fit much better in the waist--the thing I get particular about is having the more fitted cut in the seat and thighs. I'm rather tall and slender, so the standard fits--while good--always turn out too baggy.

And perhaps what I really need to do is get in touch with a tailor--which seems like it could be a bit price-y.

Tailored jeans seem like overkill. Save that money for a suit.

I feel your pain on finding jeans being tall and skinny. The two main brands that make jeans "an inch wide and a mile long" are levi's and wrangler. I don't know anything about wrangler, other than they make good jeans, and they probably have bootcut, but levi's could definitely work. Try either the shrink-to-fit 501s or the 505. They have a whole range though, and you can probably find what you want.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
http://www.sheplers.com/mens/wrangler_jeans/010401.html
010401_88_p1_550x550.jpg

You can't go wrong for 16 bucks!

kyboots

Practically Family
Two brands come to mind. One is Cinch, another brand from the western stores, boot cut and higher waist. I have several pairs and love them. The other is Buffalo brand. I have several pairs and wear these to work often. I found a slim cut of Buffalo, boot cut jeans at Macys, with a higher waist and button fly. Fit great and around $89. I love those too. They are out there.--John

Dodo

Familiar Face
I got 2 pairs of Trussardi jeans slim fit 340 winter season. Nice and not so expensive jeans.

dioscuri

New in Town
Based upon the photo provided, you might want to try Ralph Lauren's RRL brand. I have a pair of their slim bootcut style and the fit is just like the guy in your picture, with the possible exception that the bootcut is a bit less pronounced. They have a pretty standard rise, fit slim (but not excessively so) and barely have any flare at all, just enough to go over a pair of boots. RRL uses japanese selvedge denim and their washes are pretty great, plus they have raw models. The retail is steep but check the outlets and Ebay for cheaper prices.

Diamondback1

New in Town
A couple years back, I found myself the "perfect" pair of jeans. Due to an ever-widening hole in the seat, I've been forced to retire them. So I begin shopping around to discover that my jeans have been discontinued, and that apparently, nobody makes jeans that fit like them.

What I'm looking for is a slim, normal/high waisted, boot-cut jean, and I can't find anything so far. What I keep finding are slim/boot jeans that are ridiculously low on the hips. Does anyone out there still make slim boot jeans that aren't low-waisted? I'm at my wit's end.

Here's an example of the type of fit I'm talking about:
http://www.myfashioncents.com/files/2009/10/00041f1.jpg

So far, I've tried Levi's and everything else you can think of in most department stores. So if anyone out there has any thoughts on where to find jeans like this, please share!

Alternatively, I've seen a few sites where you can mail off a pair of jeans, and they will custom-tailor another pair that matches the exact dimension I'm kind of skeptical, but if anyone has had any experiences with them, let me know.
..those sure look like boot cut's to my tired eyes. I'd look at Lee or Wrangler.

- regards

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Look at the new style of Carhartt 1889 series jeans in boot cut. Model B310. I'm wearing a pair right now. I think they may be what you are looking for, not too low in the rise and they are true boot cut, almost a bell bottom.

You may also want to look at Ariat M3/4 jeans. Awesome jeans imo.

Aaron

svennex

New in Town
I only have one pair (original fit) but Wrangler gets my endorsment. Sturdy and VERY high waist by modern standards.

One caveat: The label on the back pocket is plastic. And it's not even plastic leather but thick bendy plastic whit a print on one side. I removed it before the first wash.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97