Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Husband doesn't like 1950's look...

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
i risk being booted or boo'ed from the lounge (i hope not)
p.s.
they dont do hairy leggs or pitts in eastern europe anymore (shave woman shave )
There will be no boo-ing, dear, just a :wave: from an Eastern European girl. We do shave. :p

My ex told me that while he doesn't mind the 40s clothes and hair, he didn't like it when I went all out with hats and gloves.
And that is why he is an EX. :)
:eusa_clap

If you like the 50's, do the 50's. There's PLENTY of variation there. Everything from the glamour you love so much to the girl next door type. Not every actress could be Marilyn Monroe, nor could every actress be Doris Day. Both fantastic in their own ways, but different. Two ends of the spectrum and plenty of in-between.
Well said.
There is so many of us over here, and I bet we are all different. Some of us "go all the way", when I write this I have in mind those among us who tend to turn back time even in their living spaces, their lifestyle, music and even cooking. Some of us over here, chose to dress on occasion only: for a vintage-themed events, or for their Saturday out-in-the-town-with-friends.
Variations are limitless.
Sure, there might even be some "closet vintage" gals over here. Those who dress up, take a snap or two of ther clothes, post it here and there, and quickly take it off, wash it off.. before anyone sees them. [huh]
To each their own.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I think (and ladies correct me if I'm wrong) the mid and late 50s included some 'natural' styles. You know, that glowing peaches-and-cream complexion with a nice pink lipstick, a little blush and mascara. I'm not saying you must yield 100% to his preferences; compromise is a two-way street. Perhaps you can alternate with the style I mentioned so you can compromise and still feel done up.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My experience might be a bit different, but a few years ago I learned to sew and began to wear only 1930s dresses, shoes, makeup, and hair. It carried on for about a year until my husband came out and told me he wasn't attracted to me when I dressed that way. It stung. I was unhappy for a while afterwards. But as time went by I have crept back into full-on vintage looks, but only do it when it is appropriate for the time and place. He doesn't mind that at all. And I've expanded my looks from the 20s to the 70s (the 30s still has my heart, though!) Maybe not everyone will agree, but a marriage is a partnership and sometimes you have to make sacrifices and compromises for each other. Maybe starting with a compromise while you ease into it? Maybe "vintage Sundays" or something? One day a week of glam. Talk to him about it, too! Don't just do it whether he likes it or not -- let him know how it makes you feel. Good luck!

Oh geez how pathetic LOL. I wear whatever I want now and my current boyfriend LOVES IT. He loves that I'm myself and I let him be himself. No controlling whatsoever. I don't dress vintage 24/7, but I will when I want to. Just recently I went to the bar with an Edwardian skirt and blouse on I recently made. Sometimes he'll put on one of his 70s suits to complement me, but it's not ever a requirement. Actually, after being told what to wear for so many years I would NEVER EVER do the same to him and told him he could go out in his robe and slippers if he wanted. :D

Erin Bailey

New in Town
So I have a question for you ladies. I have an amazing husband who likes me just as I am. I recently went through a two year period where I did not do anything beauty related at all. I did not style/cut my hair, I did not wear makeup, I did not dress up, I did not do my eyebrows, and half the time I didn't even shave. I just couldn't be bothered.

My husband loved it. He told me I was beautiful all of the time, everyday, multiple times a day. He's just a man who really prefers me being natural. About a year ago I decided that a 1950's look is what I wanted, so I've slowly been taking steps to achieve it.

The problem is that I've noticed that when I do wear something 1950's inspired (like winged eyeliner, red lipstick, or a bullet bra) the compliments stop. I can tell by the comments he makes about certain things that he's really not into the whole made-up look. I asked him if he could dress me for a day what would I look like, and he replied, "Natural hair, natural nails, mascara, and maybe some blush (I taught him about the various uses of makeup :)).. and a dress and sandals."

He thinks heels are pointless because they make women walk funny and are bad for them. He thinks vintage lingerie is 'grandma looking' and he doesn't comment too favorably on women who like to wear full faces of makeup.

I know most women would say to look however I want to, but I want to look in a way that he finds attractive. Are any other women here going through this and do you have any suggestions on how to combine his love of natural beauty and my love for 1950's glamour??
Currently I’m not in a relationship but I totally understand where your coming from with experience from my ex boyfriend.
If that makes you genuinely happy then maybe try to explain to him “natural beauty” of the 1950s. Housewives back then didn’t awkward wear much makeup. Maybe go for a more natural 50s look at first and talk it out. Not sure if this helps :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko