Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am in the club

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for the amazing review and thoughtful photos, Cats! Brilliant!
I think your boots look great (very Indiana Jones, I think) and they're well worth a shot to replace my Blunny's. I've been wearing Blundstones since 2000 and have loved the brand and worn out a few pairs and had them resoled (wouldn't bother with that again as it's a tough ask to get the new sole to bond) - but they were all made in Australia then and, like yours, they put in daily service.
But suddenly I have discovered that the inside lining of my boots (made in Thailand) has completely worn away in the upper-toe area and exposed some sharp plastic - and I wouldn't mind so much bearing in mind how much wear they get, but there's still a massive amount of tread left on the soles and heels. I can't believe the lining crapped out (which abrades against my socks) way before the tread (which abrades on concrete) !!
So having read your review, I'm sold on trying a pair of yours next!
Thanks very much!

breezer

Practically Family
so what size Pike Bros N1 are you wearing? I tried on a medium a couple of years ago and was swamped…..I am a 40" chest and usually wear a medium. I am in the market for a new N1 - but am wary of the Pike Bros version because of the size issues - am looking for something well fitting and was leaning towards the Real McCoys version because of that. Interesting that you not that the Pike Brothers version has evolved.

CatsCan

Practically Family
so what size Pike Bros N1 are you wearing? I tried on a medium a couple of years ago and was swamped…..I am a 40" chest and usually wear a medium. I am in the market for a new N1 - but am wary of the Pike Bros version because of the size issues - am looking for something well fitting and was leaning towards the Real McCoys version because of that. Interesting that you not that the Pike Brothers version has evolved.

Hi breezer, The newer N-1's have a thinner lining than the old batch had, more close to the originals and stopped to be that bulky and problematic when it comes to sizing. I am wearing this N-1 in size M, the measured circumference of my chest right under arms is 96 cm which translates in 38 inch I think? So, reckoning the thick liner of this jacket, I don't know.... My jacket measures across from the side seams right under the pit a chest of 60 cm (23,62 inch) outside the shell, but inside the jacket 55 cm (21,25 inch). So circumference at the chest outside is 47 inch, but inside 43 - 44 inch. You would have a total of 3-4 inch of air...which is enough if you ask me. This would fit you a little more snug than it is fitting me, but I can layer a thick wool sweater under it.

I have discovered that the inside lining of my boots (made in Thailand) has completely worn away in the upper-toe area and exposed some sharp plastic
@Stand By This sounds very painful! I can assure you, if the mesh lining of the L.L.Beans should dissolve there will come up no piece of plastic, just leather. So not a problem here. I have been said, L.L. Bean has a very generous return policy. Whenever a problem occurs they are really freely to take your old boots and send a new pair or repair. Btw these soles are easy to remove and as easy replaced by any ordinary cobbler once they are worn through.
You mention Indiana Jones :) I had to laugh, as my profession is the (not so much) adventurous world of prehistoric archaeology when I am not strolling the bushes with kids. But on excavations the preference are soles without a heel to not have all the dimples in the planum when drawing. But since I am not doing practical digging any longer, this doesn't affect me much (I hate flat shoes without a heel exept chucks in the summer).

So long

Cats

Stand By

One Too Many
@Stand By This sounds very painful! I can assure you, if the mesh lining of the L.L.Beans should dissolve there will come up no piece of plastic, just leather. So not a problem here. I have been said, L.L. Bean has a very generous return policy. Whenever a problem occurs they are really freely to take your old boots and send a new pair or repair. Btw these soles are easy to remove and as easy replaced by any ordinary cobbler once they are worn through.
You mention Indiana Jones :) I had to laugh, as my profession is the (not so much) adventurous world of prehistoric archaeology when I am not strolling the bushes with kids. But on excavations the preference are soles without a heel to not have all the dimples in the planum when drawing. But since I am not doing practical digging any longer, this doesn't affect me much (I hate flat shoes without a heel exept chucks in the summer).

So long

Cats[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, when I discovered the linings had worn and what was sticking out, I couldn't believe how sharp the plastic was! I thought long and hard about taking them back - but the boots are a few years old now (just lightly worn) and what are they going to do? I'ill just put some Gorilla Tape over the offending areas and wear them out.
The fact that your boots can be resoled by a cobbler just makes them more appealing to me!
And a career in palaeontology sounds so cool! Seriously.
Thanks again!

CatsCan

Practically Family
And a career in palaeontology sounds so cool! Seriously.
Oh no! It is not fossile animals I had to face, but dead romans, THEY were cool infact! But only because it was a winter-excavation in a tunnel-tent with radiators...Not very amusing. Archaeology in Germany means dirt, mud and moisture, sometimes unmotivated employees with small wages, not too good career-perspectives and trench-fights among collegues like if starving hungry skinny dogs get thrown a bone with a little flesh sticking to it. :) Serious, working with kids is alot more stimulating and mood-rising! To connect both - archaeology and working with kids is really cool!

Good luck with your boots! (Have you determined if you can simply remove the plastic, most times it is just glued into the cap to stiffen it and give a minimal protection as a work boot. If you could warm up the boot maybe the glue gets soft and you can pull the plastic out.

Have fun

Cats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails