Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"I could never pull off X"

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
scottyrocks said:
Uh, no.

Hats take on character as they are worn, broken in, and age with their owners. It has nothing to do with altered states of mind.

Good thing you didn't say that about women.lol

Brad

Haven't you heard the recent country song "I went home with a 10 at 2, and woke up with a 2 at 10"? A good ole boy has too much to drink and picks up what looks like a hottie, but the next morning he finds she ain't so much to look at!:(

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
cybergentleman said:
There is one gentleman, yes one, who rides the SEPTA train into Philly who wears fedoras and straws in the summer (if you are on this site and read this- "hello"). Not a single person heckles him, his seersucker suits annoyed me though, not a fan of those baby blue stripes...

I used to see that guy on the train and at Suburban Station every day on my way to work. It was a few summers ago and we took the same train. I always thought he looked pretty dapper, and loved his hat selection. The suits I honestly can't say I ever really noticed anything wrong, but they all fit him rather well. The seersucker worked on those hot summer days, but he occasionally looked like he was boiling. I've been wearing a microweave fiber this summer that is incredibly light and comfortable (and surprisingly durable too - I've worn the suit for several years now). It's 98 and sunny here in Burbank, CA, and I'm fine in these microweave slacks and a silk shirt. This is the best summer suit I've ever owned, and I got it for 100 euros tailored, in Rome a few summers ago.

What I CAN'T pull off though, I have found turned up brims on hats, baseball caps, bowler hats, some cowboy hats, white shoes, and most things polyester, simply don't work with me. Also, I've never really tried that hard, but paperboy hats and those kind of English tweed caps just don't seem right on my head. I do, however, enjoy my WWII garrison and overseas caps (see my profile picture).

-Max

Elgin1924

New in Town
Women commonly refer to their "style," and we all have one, i.e: not wearing blue shirts etc...

I think that when someone says "I could not pull that off," they imply that it is contradictory to their style. For example, the purple frock coat that Depp wears in the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie is a nice coat, but not something I could really see myself wearing.

Of course, one's style is constantly evolving, and what I can "pull off" now I may not be able to do in, say, 20 years, and vice versa.

Just my two cents,

Tommy

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
that guy

Picard1138 said:
I used to see that guy on the train and at Suburban Station every day on my way to work. It was a few summers ago and we took the same train. ...

funny how a hat can make you remember someone at a busy train station. he rode the R5 with me- he was literally the only person with a hat, out of what, thousands of riders.

I may have to mix things up when I get back there.

donnc

One of the Regulars
cybergentleman said:
funny how a hat can make you remember someone at a busy train station. he rode the R5 with me- he was literally the only person with a hat, out of what, thousands of riders.

Yeah. I was out Sunday amongst lots of people, and here's this guy with a hat. Well, he had a whole black suit and hat, very distinctive, anachronistic look that would have stood out even in a less casual scene. But I think I was as much a shock to him, as he was to me. Like ... it would be ridiculous to stop this guy and remark on the fact that we're both wearing real hats, but it's so uncommon that it would be kind of understandable.

Was I pulling it off? Well, folks - I'm not that good looking. I mean, honestly, big head, scrawny neck, giant adam's apple, scruffy beard, snaggle teeth, and I'm just getting started. Some hats kind of emphasize those features in a way, and I suppose the hat I was wearing Sunday was one of them. But I believe that if I relax and smile, I may look no worse in it than without it.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
SEPTA R5

cybergentleman said:

I may have to mix things up when I get back there.

cybergentleman, I split my time between Philadelphia and Wynnewood, I take it you're not that far away. Currently I'm in Burbank, CA, but I'll be home again to the 215 and 610. Keep in touch, you could very well be my neighbor.

-Max

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I agree that 90% of "pulling off" a look, whether it be hat or shoes or whatever, is wearing it in the belief that it suits you. Which is why a lot of the hats I see in pictures on this forum make me say "I couldn't pull that look off". Some things I just can't imagine wearing and would not have a chance of wearing it confidently.

And I'll include virtually every Newsboy or Ivy cap made. On some people they look so natural I can't imagine why they'd ever wear a fedora instead. On me they just sit there like...well, like something sitting uncomfortably atop my head. Don't know why.

Where it kills me is when we watch the TV show White Collar on Tuesday nights. I would kill to be able to "pull off" even one of the hats (or half of one of the suits) that skinny fellow wears. But every week I say "Man, couldn't pull that look off in a million years".

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brent Hutto said:
Where it kills me is when we watch the TV show White Collar on Tuesday nights. I would kill to be able to "pull off" even one of the hats (or half of one of the suits) that skinny fellow wears. But every week I say "Man, couldn't pull that look off in a million years".

I really like that show, and I know what you mean. Those little stingies that Caffrey wears are really cool, even if I'm more of a wide brim man myself.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Hats in Culture

You know I think its a shame that hats are no longer a large part of male fashion. I love hats of all kinds, especially old ones.
I agree that it takes confidence in yourself and your hat, my wife hates my old fedora (my Dad gave it to me, so I wear it no matter what) and yet I still wear it as often as possible.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Don't know

I don't know about what hat I couldn't pull off. But there are quite a few I wouldn't want to put on in the first place!

metropd

One Too Many
I don't think its a matter of not being able to pull them off, but I personally will NEVER wear stingy brims or tapered crowns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic