Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I finally did it!!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
As many of you know, I have been working with Montecristi's for a while but what you can't know is that I have never made one for myself unless they were "mistake" hats. That is the curse of a hatter I guess, making hats for others out of the best bodies etc. Well' I finally bit the bullet and bought a superfino from PanamaBob last month and sortof absorbed it until the time fealt right, which happened to be this week. Here is my creation that I'm keeping!!!

mysuper1.jpg

mysuper2.jpg

mysuper3.jpg

mysuperwpi.jpg

As best i can tell it's over 1000 wpi but I need to get more clear from Robert on the exact counting method.

Thanks Robert, I feel like a king!!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Art,

There are at least two methods I know of for counting wpsi.

1) Count an inch on one row parallel with the brim and then count perpindicular (we count these sort of wavy or crisscross becase they don't go straight up) + We'll say 34*30=1020

2) Using a fine linen tool from a fabric store that has one square inch magnified and counting away.

In Montecristi they count carrerras, or runs in a square cm. This is much easier...lets say a decent hat has 4 runs, a great hat has 5 runs, and a spectacular hat has 6 or 6.5 runs.

A hat with 1200 wpsi could be badly woven and only have 5.5runs. A hat with 900 could be woven correctly and have 5.5 runs. More confusion!

STHill

One of the Regulars
That's beautiful, Art. I had been meaning to ask you how that was coming along. I like your idea of "absorbing" the essence before you lay hands on it. The maroon ribbon looks good, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters