Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

i got a Luftwaffe Hartmann jackets

elevensun

New in Town
i have knitte d sweater webwxgetmsgimg (2).jpg webwxgetmsgimg (3).jpg webwxgetmsgimg (4).jpg

185CM 82 KG 44R size

G'c

Familiar Face
I honestly fail to see how that is too big. Am I losing it? It looks good from here.

Agree that for this particular model, it fits well on him. As I said, the problem it seems is that he's not happy with how this particular model is being cut. As pointed out by members here, this model is intended to be loose on the waist area, which to the OP means it looks big. I don't think OP is comfortable with the cut of the jacket.

That is why I think it's best to opt for another model.

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Ditto...I don't understand what makes you say it's big. It's a perfect fit. If it was any more slim fit you couldn't move, and it would look ridiculous. It's an awesome jacket, wear it in good health!

elevensun

New in Town
Ditto...I don't understand what makes you say it's big. It's a perfect fit. If it was any more slim fit you couldn't move, and it would look ridiculous. It's an awesome jacket, wear it in good health!
will get 42R in few days,...will post what is like 42R

HanauMan

Practically Family
Back in the day, in the real world, German pilots would often wear their tunics underneath their leather jackets and they would have also worn their leather belts with a pistol holster. I'd guess that having a tight waisted jacket would be the last thing they needed sitting in their cockpits!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Yep, looks good to me.
If you don't like the cut go for the Eastman J-100, you have the body type for this style but it's not a flight jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like a good fit to me, but the way you are twisted around in that middle picture makes it hard to tell. A side view without twisting would have been better.

My Hartmann Luftwaffe has buckles on the side for adjusting the waist. It appears as if your jacket does as well. Might be better to try that than to go down a size.

An interesting design difference is that my Luftwaffe has the slash hand warmer pockets and yours has the small flap pockets. When I bought mine, the jacket with the flap pockets was called something different. Can't remember now what it was. Maybe the Hartmann.

Eastman changed the name from Luftwaffe in the interest of political correctness (and to sell more jackets of that style). I believe the old Luftwaffe is now called the Ostmann, and the one you have is called the Hartmann.

Below is a picture of what was known as the Hartmann Luftwaffe six or seven years ago when I bought mine. Click on the image to enlarge.

There is another thread (linked below) by HPA Rep that explains the change in name of the Luftwaffe to the Ostmann. HPA Rep is calling it the Ostmann Luftwaffe, I believe.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...nn-luftwaffe-jacket-brown.92297/#post-2341200

Attachments

• Ostmann .png
    Ostmann .png
    973 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Ostmann is much trimmer in the waist than my Hartmann but much heavier.
I've got both in black & love the lightness of the Hartmann; with current UK weather the Ostmann is seeing a lot of outings.....

Will most likely get the waist taken in on my Hartmann but there's a big difference between my chest & waist measurements.

elevensun

New in Town
It's a great fit. But what happens to people like us is we sometimes get jacket dismorphic disorder and obsess over a perceived or inconsequential flaw no one else can see. We are then unable to enjoy the jacket because of our distorted perception. o_O Just saying...
I am totally agree with you, but some time when you wearing a jacket looking Worse then with out them ,what you do?

Attachments

• C57E2B8A-608A-4D31-B1CF-966E6270A3FF.jpeg
    C57E2B8A-608A-4D31-B1CF-966E6270A3FF.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 248
  • D27BB756-6BA7-45AC-B08B-B852A0C21E08.jpeg
    D27BB756-6BA7-45AC-B08B-B852A0C21E08.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 255
  • 9FAE2794-EFDF-48DB-91A7-94B325B007BA.jpeg
    9FAE2794-EFDF-48DB-91A7-94B325B007BA.jpeg
    984.9 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
I have to agree with everyone else - it fits you well. And looks great. I think you will find the 42 too narrow in the shoulders.

If you want a trimmer waist - and with your physique you could do it - you will have to go with a different style with a more tapered fit.

Let us see how the 42 does fit - it might help others. Thanks!

Vezio

One of the Regulars
In my opinion, the jacket you are wearing has a decent fit, but you could go down a size.
However, you must consider some things:
- first of all, your jacket is short enough at the waist. Going down a size could make it even shorter!
- sleeves of your jacket have the right length. With a size 42 shoulder width decreases too, with a consequent reduction in the
length of the sleeves!
- You must also consider your bibs. I do not know if the feeling you have in your chest is right or wide. Going down a size could
make the chest uncomfortable and restrictive.
You should talk to the seller and you should ask him if the 42L size might be right for you.
I try to open a parenthesis on military clothing (according to my experience): in about 20 years of service in navy, very few times I received military clothing that fitted me perfectly, or that had a similar fit to civilian clothing.
Military clothing is subject to many variables: manufacturer, availability of sizes in the logistics cycle, economic availability of armed force, also military rank (unfortunately)!
Many times we are forced to exchange clothes, among colleagues, but not always a right size corresponds to a good fit.
They are uniform, not clothes designed for common use, and many times they are wide just to make the movements comfortable, during the work.
In my opinion, sometimes if we do not like a military dress in civilian use, we should be replaced it with a different dress that suits better:).
Obviously all of you are aware of this;).
Vezio.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
BE17060A-31A9-4544-B443-A26EC5DD1220.jpeg
DC09CEF2-F035-4D53-8611-344A91AF21CD.jpeg
40048444-8A45-493F-BAD4-44C4EB52590E.jpeg
7B91C6EE-ED59-4E8B-8062-E9FDF0B7A47F.jpeg
61F4DC1D-8984-4464-AC6F-1633B88D67F2.jpeg
D94AB308-5D0D-4504-AECF-2EDA1426A587.jpeg
34D88CE8-679B-4F3A-BFB3-31CD83F62CFF.jpeg
B44F75FD-1EF8-43F0-A107-DEB6076EC260.jpeg
6AE41407-9C03-416B-AE87-188A4415F602.jpeg

Here is mine...not from Eastman and please compare...IMHO a big difference in details and authenticity if compared to the one mentioned in the beginning of this thread.... in mine no modern stainless steel buckle or parts as all repros use. Real chrome plated iron buckle, D-rings, no recent looking zips etc...Nice and comfy to wear and have.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 100939 View attachment 100941 View attachment 100940 View attachment 100938 View attachment 100937 View attachment 100936 View attachment 100935 View attachment 100934 View attachment 100933

Here is mine...not from Eastman and please compare...IMHO a big difference in details and authenticity if compared to the one mentioned in the beginning of this thread.... in mine no modern stainless steel buckle or parts as all repros use. Real chrome plated iron buckle, D-rings, no recent looking zips etc...Nice and comfy to wear and have.
Wow that’s a beauty! Where did you get it?

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
In France...the origine of this kind of jacket...
They have more....If interested, just contact me...200 Euro below the Eastman repro... check out the quality...
So far available sizes ex-stock...40-44” chest..Adustable waist from 30” to 34”

Last edited:

elevensun

New in Town
In my opinion, the jacket you are wearing has a decent fit, but you could go down a size.
However, you must consider some things:
- first of all, your jacket is short enough at the waist. Going down a size could make it even shorter!
- sleeves of your jacket have the right length. With a size 42 shoulder width decreases too, with a consequent reduction in the
length of the sleeves!
- You must also consider your bibs. I do not know if the feeling you have in your chest is right or wide. Going down a size could
make the chest uncomfortable and restrictive.
You should talk to the seller and you should ask him if the 42L size might be right for you.
I try to open a parenthesis on military clothing (according to my experience): in about 20 years of service in navy, very few times I received military clothing that fitted me perfectly, or that had a similar fit to civilian clothing.
Military clothing is subject to many variables: manufacturer, availability of sizes in the logistics cycle, economic availability of armed force, also military rank (unfortunately)!
Many times we are forced to exchange clothes, among colleagues, but not always a right size corresponds to a good fit.
They are uniform, not clothes designed for common use, and many times they are wide just to make the movements comfortable, during the work.
In my opinion, sometimes if we do not like a military dress in civilian use, we should be replaced it with a different dress that suits better:).
Obviously all of you are aware of this;).
Vezio.

the 42R is fit real good ~i have put them side by side the jacket on 42R is not shorter much! only like 0.3~0.5 cm (few times measurement!)
the shoulder 42 is decreases ~still not too much ~and coz the leather is very good and soft.the shoulder movements is not restrictive~and comfortable!
the armspan still good amost no change from 44R(side by side measure)
so only big differnt is waist! much slimming~kind like 42Ris 44R slim Version you guys can see photo upload~ i will sent back 44R ~for me 42R is fit good keep!
i think even soft leather jacket also need break in~i mean the jacket will mod in to my body will post aft day!
1372855937.jpg
1410255093.jpg
I buy this jacket from TW!thx the Dr cowboy!real patient dealer!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters