Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got a new bedroom set too!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Feast your eyes on these lovelies, purchased on craigs list for a mere $100 total!

b-room1.jpg

b-room2.jpg

b-room3.jpg

There's a vanity w/mirror, dresser w/mirror, chiffarobe, night stand, headboard, foot board and bed frame. All for $100!

The mirrors are lovely, they have flowers etched all around the edges. The middle of the chiffarobe flips down into a writing desk!

The headboard, footboard and bed frame are for a full sized bed. Can this be converted over to fit my queen sized bed? Has any had any luck doing this? Is there a way to switch it over to a queen size? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The finish on the wood is in much better shape than what the lady selling the set described. In fact, it's in better shape than my current bedroom set. Nothing the Restor-A-Finish can't fix - it has some light scratches from decades of use. The nightstand has the worst scratches on it and they look much darker in the photograph than they do in real life. It doesn't look bad at all in person.

The dresser is missing a handle. I'm going to take the handles off of the vanity and put them on the dresser. The vanity is going in the spare bedroom, so I can put different handles on it. No one will ever notice because it will be in a different room.

I'm so happy! I've been bouncing around for the past 2 hours because I'm still so excited!
The set is going to look so nice with my aqua chenille bedspread. I have a 40s flamingo lithograph that I'm going to hang up above my bed as well and a set of 40s tropical aqua and gray barkcloth drapes. Now I need to find a set of vintage lamps for the nightstands and I need to figure out what color I want to paint the bedroom. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good vintage wall color scheme that will go nicely with aqua blue?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Very nice!!! It's very beautiful! Such amazing work and design went into these pieces of furniture... what happened today?... wait, don't answer that... I think I already have the answer. :rolleyes:

I wonder why some people think what we have today is progress!... Its not, its landfill filler!

K

kpreed

Miss Neecerie said:
Wow...congrats!

You scored!

and I do beleive you can manage to use a queen on a double headboard...but I dont actually know how...so hopefully someone else pipes up..

wooo for new furniture!
I have a queen set on double frame/headboard and no problem. I made four very simple brackets to hold the larger box springs on the older frame, but I am sure you could buy them too, if you want. Very nice stuff, well done.:eusa_clap

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
Very nice!!! It's very beautiful! Such amazing work and design went into these pieces of furniture... what happened today?... wait, don't answer that... I think I already have the answer. :rolleyes:

I wonder why some people think what we have today is progress!... Its not, its landfill filler!

I second that. I love trying to explain to people why I won't pay $1000 plus for a new bedroom set made from pressboard or whatever it is they make them from now a days, when I can get a well-made and designed vintage or antique set for fraction of the cost of a new set. With a minimal amount of care that furniture will outlast me while the pressboard junk warps and falls apart. For me, it's a no-brainer.

Don't get me started on the disposable world we live in now. People at work are amazed by the fact I wash the plastic containers that my lunch items are packaged in and take them home to recycle. :rolleyes: Even on garbage day, I'm amazed by how much more garbage my neighbors put to the curb then I do.

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Nice grab on the bedroom set, but in defence of modern cabites, some times the moder stuff like MDF not pressboard is often better the real wood.
MDF when used as the body of the cabint it's more stable the wood ie: will not warp or twist, and when it is hidden by a venneer of wood will look just as good a solid wood one, with less problems, in fact if you were to take apart the chest of drawes would see that not all one type of wood was use to make it often a cheaper wood like pine was used and the fancy stuff was used where you could see it and not where it would not. just saying the new ways are not that bad sometimes it is a new way of doing something old.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I got the pieces all home safely (mostly). We had to make two trips because the chiffarobe and mirror were too big to fit in the bed of the pickup with the cap on it. So we wrapped the chiffarobe and big dresser mirror up in moving blankets and tied them into the open bed of the pick up. I held my breath driving home on the freeway. It was the quickest and most direct way home without any uphill/downhill and stop/start driving, but I was terrified a stone would fly up and hit one of the mirrors and break it.

The chiffarobe weighs a ton and we broke some of the veneer of it while trying to move/wrestle it into the house. We still haven't taken it upstairs, that's going to be hard because we have a narrow stairway with a turn in it. Luckily the veneer broke of in an space where no one will see. I glued/clamped it all back on. A piece of the wooden mirror frame cracked off and got lost somewhere on the highway as well. I'm going to have to take some wood filler epoxy putty and mold the missing piece back in the crack and stain it. Is anything ever easy?! lol

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Great find! Congrats- if anyone deserves to have that set, it's you!
Would painting the walls a silvery gray work? I would suggest some sort of coral color, but would your man go for it?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Sweet Leilani said:
Great find! Congrats- if anyone deserves to have that set, it's you!
Would painting the walls a silvery gray work? I would suggest some sort of coral color, but would your man go for it?

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Husband's already a little miffed that we're getting rid of the more manly dark wood bedroom set. I think painting the room coral might be too much for him. lol I was thinking of painting the room a light taupe color with brown trim. I really like robin's egg blue/aqua with browns and taupes.

I thought about gray as well, but I'm afraid it might look drab. The room doesn't get much sunlight and it only has one window, so I want a color that's light and warm. The room was painted dark purple and battleship gray with black trim by the previous owners and it felt like a small cave. :rolleyes:

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I like the taupe idea! I am having the same dilemma in the room where I have my bedroom suite- my accessories are green/teal and pink and the drapes are kind of a bronze color. I'm not in love with the drapes; they could go (I only paid $3 for them), but I'd like something that ties in the pink & green with the medium brown wood. A more rosy shade of taupe might work for me, also...

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I don't know where the rust belt is, but MAN that is some deal! Congrats on it!

And I must say it's great to see such a set not broken up and going to someone who will fully appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo