Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Haven't Seen It in a Long Time

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You mind-reader, I just woke up during last night and thought this very thing! The movie in question: Chan is Missing. I often say it's my favorite movie. One of my pugs is even named after it (although of course I just call him Chan to avoid confusion and distress). When I earned some Amazon gift certificates I bought the DVD when it came out, and there it sits. Is is as good as I remember? Will I laugh at the same parts spoken only in Cantonese? Where in the 7 rooms of this house is it so I can re-watch and answer the darn questions? I'll let ya know. ;)

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
Just watched Evil Dead II after not having seen it in years, and watched The Rocketeer after having not seen it since the theatre. Both are awesome films!

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
happyfilmluvguy said:
Don't stress yourself out too much searching.

The Secret Garden is now in my posession!

I just watched this film with my daughter all of two weeks ago.
I hadn't seen it in over ten years and I just fell in love with it
all over again. It's such a magical film. I so want a secret garden
of my own....

BegintheBeguine

I've located Chan is Missing, (groan, didn't even realize the puns involved until now) and I will re-watch it next week. I'm afraid, when I haven't seen a beloved movie in 20 years, that it won't be good. The reality is that as I'm watching, say, Cria!, I realize I don't remember a darn thing about it and that of course it's a good movie.
Although when I re-watched one of my recent favorites, Horror at Party Beach, on video rather than the big screen at the museum, I didn't care for it and didn't even watch it to the end. [huh] On second thought, maybe that movie wasn't really such a good movie in the first place, although I loved it when I first saw it a few years ago?

Smyat

One of the Regulars
I've been Netflixing my way through quite a few fondly remembered films... and found to my horror that for every one that gives me a warm rush of nostalgia, there are two or three that... just don't measure up. There are several movies I refuse to see again because I know they will disappoint, and I'd rather hold on to my warm memories of seeing them back when.

:eek:fftopic: Naming a dog Chan is Missing reminds me of an old game we used to play: What's the worst name for a film, marquee-wise? Some past winners:

CLOSED FOR REPAIRS

NO SHOW THIS WEEK

VACANT

...etc. Got any better ones?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Smyat said:
:eek:fftopic: Naming a dog Chan is Missing reminds me of an old game we used to play: What's the worst name for a film, marquee-wise? Some past winners:

CLOSED FOR REPAIRS

NO SHOW THIS WEEK

VACANT

...etc. Got any better ones?

My entry;
NOW SHOWING: CROSS MY HEART

I absolutely hated that movie! Two people spend an entire evening arguing and lying to each other. The ending, of course, was completely predictable.

Back on topic: There are many, many movies I need to see again. And all of them are in my DVD collection. lol

Lee

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
Innocent Blood. I loved this film when it came out, and just watched it again today! Quite a stylish pulp-noir vampire film! I hadn't watched it in probably a decade, but still an awesome film! Oh, that's if you like vampires. I don't really, but this film is really great.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Let's see more people re-watch those movies they've so longed forgotten! Think about how long it's been, and the urge to see it again.

Ashley, I'm looking forward to hearing what your experience was like, even if negative.

Rick Blaine

Wise Blood

A great film and an under appreciated gem from John Huston adapted from a Flannery O'Conner short story. Superb cast including Brad Dourif, John Huston (as Jhon Huston), Harry Dean Stanton & Ned Beatty. Haunting & weird, almost today what would be considered an "indie" film, certainly has that feel to it. This film will stick with you. It is not currently available on DVD, just VHS, but can be seen here on Google Vid
Jhon Huston's Wise Blood

I hadn't seen this for over 20 yrs. It was filmed in Macon GA. about 2 hrs. away from me when I was in my late teens. Really takes me back & is a haunting reminder of what's been lost, both good & bad...

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
happyfilmluvguy said:
And after you have watched it, come back here and say you did, and share the reliving experience you had.

I'm watching Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. It hasn't been years, but it's certainly been months. I like identifying the actors, actresses and movies from the golden era, and seeing how the old movies have been smoothly blended in. Since joining the Fedora Lounge, I can identify more of them. :D

And I just like Steve Martin's style in this movie.

Lee

vonwotan

Practically Family
I loved The Secret Garden as well as A Little Princess. I may need to see these again soon.

The one that came immediately to mind was White Mischief. Unfortunatly, despite last springs revelations, it has never been released in US format on DVD. Can the VHS recordings be transferred to DVD? Or can non-US formats be "translated" to play on US DVD players?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Well, the credits just rolled and I have to say it was more than what I thought. I guess I originally envisioned the made for TV version, but this one is very different. I haven't read the novel since junior high (maybe we'll have another thread for that lol) but one of the differences I noticed in the 1993 version, for one, at the beginning of the made for TV movie, Mary loses her parents due to a plague in India, whereas in the film, it's an earthquake. Another difference I realized was that it isn't until the end of the TV movie that Colin gets up from his chair and walks, while in this one, he learned to walk long before and is seen walking by his father. I don't remember if his father was in both versions, though. Great movie, and I will watch it again, much sooner.

vonwotan said:
Can the VHS recordings be transferred to DVD? Or can non-US formats be "translated" to play on US DVD players?

There is something called a Region Free DVD Player which basically can play DVDs from any "region". A region means the same you would think it meant. It's just a part of the world. Most DVDs sold in the US are US Region. Lots of formatting stuff. I don't understand or know the purpose of it, though. The only thing I do know is you won't find a Region Free player at Best Buy. ;)

If you want to play it safe, Amazon.com has a few.

I've done DVD transfers with my own projects but similar to DVDs, Many VHS's have locks on them, and you can't get rid of them. I'd go with the DVD player. Plus it would technically be illegal.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
...Some DVD players have codes you can enter that override the "region" setting. Your computer most likely has the ability to play multi-region DVDs too, if it has a DVD slot. Just be careful--my Mom's Mac only changes regions 6 times. You can find a multi-region DVD player now for less that $100, if you search hard enough!

As for things I haven't seen in a while, a random search on beloved YouTube brought me this:

Yip-Yips

Ah, Sesame Street!

And I love the TV version of The Secret Garden! The theatrical release...not so much...too different from the book. But I pull out my VHS copy of it and watch it every once in a while. It puts a smile on my face!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit