Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need makeup references!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Hey guys, I'm getting married pretty soon and I'm starting to think about hair and makeup plans, but I'm having a hard time finding pictures of good looks to show makeup artists. I want a really great 40s brow, and a really dramatic look with red lips. Color pics are more helpful for the MUAs. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures to share?

I saw a perfect look yesterday in a photo of Christi Turlington (I think) done up in a 40s style with a great hair wave and an adorable beret, but it was on the wall of a store so I couldn't take it.

Hair ideas are also helpful, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for big waves with a deep side part.
Thanks so much!
BV

Kim_B

Practically Family
What about a toned-down version of Christina Aguilera's new look? I never thought I'd recommend her style to some one, but lately she's cleaned up her act and looks really good, I think! Or what about taking cues from some movies, like The Notebook or Mona Lisa Smile or anything like that? I think there were some formal scenes in Mona Lisa Smile that featured a lot of great style!

GOK

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:
Hey guys, I'm getting married pretty soon and I'm starting to think about hair and makeup plans, but I'm having a hard time finding pictures of good looks to show makeup artists. I want a really great 40s brow, and a really dramatic look with red lips. Color pics are more helpful for the MUAs. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures to share?

I saw a perfect look yesterday in a photo of Christi Turlington (I think) done up in a 40s style with a great hair wave and an adorable beret, but it was on the wall of a store so I couldn't take it.

Hair ideas are also helpful, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for big waves with a deep side part.
Thanks so much!
BV

Go to KatieD's forum (what katie did) and find Babykitten - she is a MAC trained MUA and will be able to help you out, I'm sure. She appears to have perfected 'the look'!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
~landgirl~ said:
Hi there,

You should try out the looks on www.besamecosmetics.com - they also sell some lovely items too!

When is the big day?
Yes, good suggestion!
Also, I can't think of too many movies at the moment that are vintage inspired, but one that does come to mind is "The Notebook" if you go to www.imdb.com and look up this film, they will have tons of screen stills that might be very helpful. Another film to look up is "The Aviator" and "The Notorious Betty Paige".
If IMDB doesn't have the screen stills you are looking for, you can always just do a google search of these films and see the fan sites that come up. They usually have tons of screen stills from the pictures. Also, you could always rent the movies, watch them on your computer and do screen grabs from them if something comes up that you really want a picture of. IMDB is a great resource for all movies of all eras, so if there is a specific look from a film that you are looking for, you are sure to be able to find it there.

Good luck with all of your plans. Please keep us informed as to how your plans are coming together. And, you must post pictures of the big day when things settle down for you.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Something like this perhaps? The hairstyle is by me and a friend of mine did this young lady's makeup. Let me know if it's close and I'll see what else I can find for reference.

4496594b68b59.jpg

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Betty~ I forgot to say CONGRATS! :D

Also, that pic of Christy T. is in Kevyn Aucoin's book: The Art of Makeup, maybe you can bring it in to your artist? :)

921002nd7.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Betty-I forgot to give you my best wishes as well!:eusa_doh: (Thanks for reminding me,Katie)

Katie-That Bazaar cover is stunning,do you know when it was done?

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Thanks guys! It's June 1. Katie, that picture is *exactly* what I saw in the shop! My sister has that book (I've got the other) I'll go steal it from her. I guess that's a little light for an evening look, but I'm definitely taking in that & the Kate Beckinsale next time I get my brows done.

I did a make-up test last week and it went okay. I brought in a picture of a good eye and said I wanted that with a red mouth, and once again the makeup artist was all "that's too much eye for a red mouth." and I said "Well let's just try it and see what it looks like." But once again the makeup artist toned down the eye to almost nothing. Next time I'm just going to let them pair a nude lip with the smokey eye and then go home and do my lips myself.

The look was pretty good, though, though she used way too much blush for my taste. The lipstick she used is my new favorite red. It's "Cruella" by Nars with Jungle Red lipliner. It's a little darker than the Besame Red that was my daily color before. And the Nars one is the only lipstick I've ever used that stayed put through dinner.

The Kate Beckinsale is just about perfect. I wish I could look like that every day!
BV

katiemakeup

Practically Family
RubyRedLocks~ No, I assume it was taken in the 90's :p

Betty~ I'm sorry your trial run didn't go as planned, but it seems as if you can tweak it the way you want! I love Nars, but am not familiar with that color. It will be fine and you must post pics of the big day!:D

GOK

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:
and once again the makeup artist was all "that's too much eye for a red mouth." and I said "Well let's just try it and see what it looks like." But once again the makeup artist toned down the eye to almost nothing.

What happened to the client being right? I hate that kind of fascism. TBH, I would fire her and either do it myself or get another MUA. This is your big day - everything HAS to be perfect, so get someone that will do what YOU want, not what they opine is correct. Jeebs, if you said you wanted yellow eyeshadow and orange lips, she should do do that. It is not her place to have an opinion; she is paid to do a job and she should do it. :mad:

**gets off soap box**

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
mtest.jpg

So this is the result of that Nars makeup test. What do you think? I'm thinking that there's way too much blush, and the highlight under the eyebrow is too bright white. There's something else about it I don't like, but I'm not sure what it is. It might be that Nick & I look like we're cosplaying my parents. (we're both wearing those clothes, and Nick looks like he fell out of the Sopranos when he borrows my dad's clothes.)

Also, I don't know what happened over the course of two weeks to make me so pink and puffy. This was from an engagement party two weeks before (dress & makeup by me. Please excuse lack of vintage. Makeup is Besame, lips are a noir red base with a layer of Besame Red.)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/fatwetdog/champagne.jpg

Maybe it's just that I never wear blush so I'm just not used to the way it looks. What do you guys think?

BV

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Oh yeah ... I'd also like to redact that "toned down the eye to almost nothing" comment. I had not yet seen pictures. (Or, evidently, a mirror.)

texasgirl

One Too Many
Have you tried the Makeup 411 website. It breaks down the makeup used by Makeup Artists in the movies.

http://www.makeup411.com/bb_movies_list.htm

I love this one from the Aviator

Aviator_Gwen.jpg

I agree with you, I think the blush looks heavy, not like a natural "blush" and the eye highlight is too sparkily or something. I think you great in the photo when you did it yourself :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Congrats to you both!
I agree, I think the highlight may be too frosty? A softer/matte brow bone would flatter you more. And perhaps the blush was just a bit too high? Taking pics will help you decide in the long run, that's what will count. What you see in the mirror may not please you, but your pics may be perfect. You're a doll, and you'll find the pefect look you're after. The practice will pay off!

I've always liked Clinique's double date shades.. perhaps you can find those shades in a more matte product? It's not *too*frosty, but it's certainly not matte. It's a light smokey brownish taupe with an off white highlite.

Nikki

Jenautica

Familiar Face
rubyredlocks said:
Something like this perhaps? The hairstyle is by me and a friend of mine did this young lady's makeup. Let me know if it's close and I'll see what else I can find for reference.

4496594b68b59.jpg

This is Joey Ortega's Lady right? I just saw her at a tattoo convention here in Omaha not too long ago. She is even more stunning in person!!! *gush*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy