Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I once was lost...

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Just wanted to share something with you fine folks.

I have a beautiful pocket watch that my wife gave me about seven years ago, back while we were still dating. It cost her a pretty penny, and I joke that it's my version of an engagement ring! It's a Tissot, in a silver hunter case with matching chain. On the inside, I have an old-tyme photo of the two of us in antique wedding clothes. It, quite simply, is my pride and joy.

watch01.jpg

watch02.jpg

Well, a month ago, I lost it.

The last time I remembered seeing it, I had taken it off prior to going to the gym, and stuffed it into a spare gift bag in the car for safe keeping. And of course, a few days after cleaning the assorted refuse out of my car, I suddenly remembered it. And sure enough, out in the car, there was no gift bag. I was sure I had thrown away my watch.

I couldn't sleep for two days afterward. I felt sick every time I thought about it. The only thing that would have possibly made me feel worse would have been to lose my wedding ring itself. My wife was wonderfully understanding about the whole thing, reminding me that things, unlike people, can be replaced, but it didn't help.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I found the watch, tucked carefully away in a jacket pocket just a few days ago. Talk about relief! Now, I'm being extra cautious with my valuables (rings, watches, etc), and they all go into a little leather box beside my bed each night. I never want to go through that again!

And it got me to thinking: that watch, and my wedding band, are probably the two worst items I could possibly lose - and I wondered, fellow FL'ers, what object or item would you feel the worst to lose? Maybe it's not the most expensive, or the nicest item, but what "thing" could you never stand to lose?

Perhaps we'll start by saying, besides your wedding rings. That's probably a given. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
So glad you had a happy ending (I love the photo in the watch too).

Your question is interesting. This may be a reflection on my attitude towards things, but I found it really difficult to pinpoint something I'd be lastingly upset to lose.

The thing that kept coming up for me was a hand colored picture of my grandfather from 1930 because it has notations written in his hand on the back and his expression in the photo really brings him back to life for me. My grandmother's photo albums might be another but, really, I'd probably get over the loss of these things fairly quickly.

Now, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe neither; maybe it it just is.

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I’m glad you found your watch!

I’m afraid I’m not very sentimental about things. I never really form attachments to them. Even my wedding ring. [huh] My mom refuses to give me any family heirlooms anymore because she thinks I’ll throw or give them away. (And she’s probably right unfortunately). I keep trying to be sentimental but it just doesn’t work. They’re still just things to me. :eek:

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Favored items...

My wife also bought me a pocket watch several years ago while we were dating and it would kill me if I lost it. Also, I carry my father's pocket knife (in seperate pockets, obviously) and I would be a wreck if I lost that.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
This is a lovely story. And, a lovely watch, a lovely photograph. But most of all, the love that is behind the watch, the thought of behind the gift, is beautiful and a lasting treasure.
Thank you for sharing.

For me, hmm....there are two kimonos that I treasure. One is the kimono made from the fabric my grandmother gave me as a wedding gift. The fabric is Ooshma tsumugi (Ooshima pongee), a speciality of the region my father's family comes from, a very intricate weave, and considered one of the two finest and representative Japanese pongees. The other, aquired this spring, is a kimono that was originally my grandfather's, another Ooshima tsumugi. When he died 36 years ago at 81, my grandmother had given the kimono to my father, saying that this is the best kimono of his, and also his favorite. My father, who died last year (who was 85 and had a full and rewarding life--we do miss him, but are greatful that the cancer he suffered from the last 15 years of his life did not debliate him, allowing him to lead an active life to the very end, spared from the pain that the particular cancer inflicts upon its patients) never wore the kimono, so it was tucked away in the kimono closet of my parent's home. When I started wearing kimonos again a few years ago, I remembered the particular kimono, but did not ask about it. This spring, when my brother asked if he could have my father's favorite wrist watch as a keepsake, I asked my mother and brother (since the kimono was a men's kimono) if I could have Grrandfather's kimono. They both said yes, so I got the kimono from the kimono closet, and had it altered into a woman's kimono. (Because of how the kimonos are constructed, it is much easier to alter a men's kimono to women's than with western style clothing.) It took some time for the alterations, so I didn't receive it until this fall. I have worn it since then on several occasions, and have received nothing but compliments on it. When I tell my friends who's it originally was, I receive even more compliments.:) I am yet to see my aunts and uncle (my father's sisters and brother) after I received the finished kimono, but the next time I see them, of course, I will wear it. :)

jeep44

One of the Regulars
A small off-topic story about Kimonos:
The Factory I work at was gutted to the four walls several years ago, and all new machine tools were sourced worldwide. The Japanese company that did our case lines sent crates of EVERYTHING they would need to install them-even a crate of rags. What was interesting,and a bit sad, was that many of the "rags" were cut up pieces of kimonos. Many seemed quite old, all hand-sewn,of course, and interesting fabric patterns.

Getting back on topic-years ago,I wore a gold and Lapis Lazuli signet ring that was my Grandfather's. One day, I noticed it was missing after I got out of my car,and searched the parking lot for days-I felt so miserable about losing it.
Several months later, vaccuuming out my car, I found it stuck between the console and the seat. What a feeling of relief!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
jeep44 said:
A small off-topic story about Kimonos:
The Factory I work at was gutted to the four walls several years ago, and all new machine tools were sourced worldwide. The Japanese company that did our case lines sent crates of EVERYTHING they would need to install them-even a crate of rags. What was interesting,and a bit sad, was that many of the "rags" were cut up pieces of kimonos. Many seemed quite old, all hand-sewn,of course, and interesting fabric patterns.
:eek:fftopic: Well, um, kimonos are actually supposed to end up that way. It's long been the tradition with kimonos that they are worn first as haregi, "Sunday clothes", and when they get old, and have gone through a few washings (in the case of kimonos, the seams are taken out, washed, then spread on wood boards so they will be flat and smooth when dry, then re-sewn), and the hems and wrists and collars have become threadbare, they are sized down into childrens kimonos, or remade into vest-like jackets, or into futon covers, or into the body of mid layer kimonos or inner kimonos, or into cushion covers and bags, etc etc until they are rags and used as rags.
With cotton yukatas, after they have gone through multiple washings and have become soft and pliant, were often remade into diapers, or into rags and wiping cloths for house cleaning and such.
Because kimonos require a lot of fabric for proper construction, if the fabirc at the seams are falling apart, unless it's for a costume collection, and not to be worn, then there's not choice but to cut it up and take the parts that are still intact and make what can be made from them.

Incidentally, by hand sewn, do you mean hand stitched --needle work patterns on the rags-- to hold 2-4 layers together so they are reinforced? Also, rectangular and the size about the size of a washcloth? If so, that's the way our cleaning rags are traditionally made. They are called "zokin" ,the characters translating to mean assorted fabrics. We had to make these as homework in home economics class as school kids. Needle point practice for us.lol

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Lost

This may not be what you had in mind, but it connects.. Merry Christmas.. Ron

Christmas 2007, Musing again. My customary Christmas message to friends..

Looking out my window again and watching the last of the exam traffic. The students have the same look on their faces that they had in 1976, my first year here. A few have this “purposeful” fast walk, but must wander along in an apparent daze. I see people walking along, older, stooped, a-bit ragged and think they look familiar. I continue to watch as they walk along carrying odd things like printers or iMacs. Behind them is a group of “administrative looking” women, very well dressed and just a-bit heavy for those heels. Across the plaza, several old looking “P plant/blue shirt” guys are leaning against the building smoking. About that time I begin to recognize everyone; I’ve met them all over the years and we’ve all been here about the same amount of time (i.e. I’m as old as they are)! The campus has grown immensely with building project after building project. It’s more like a city now with building after building as far as one can see.
I recently went back to the Engineering College to visit a few remaining friends there. It’s the same building that I started in, thirty-one years ago, but most of the faces I remember are gone. The ones that I do remember have aged greatly. One office secretary that I always remember as being about forty-five appears to be about seventy-five and can hardly get around. My two friends in the mechanical/machine shop seem to look the same as they always did and I hope that I do as well. Funny however as they are heavier and have less hair, just like me! Some sort of memory illusion I suppose as those that I knew less have aged significantly more. We were great friends, but the two of them have fallen apart over the years. Sadly, that seems to happen when one member of a group becomes the boss. One can’t retire for years and the other can, but won’t. All the old guys in this shop have long gone, most from this world. Upstairs in the electronics shop where I worked, everything has changed. I never go back, but others tell me. The supervisor, someone I’ve known from childhood, has regretted his promotion and increased responsibilities for years. When he was promoted to boss, I left for greener pastures and the others just took advantage of him. It really doesn’t pay to be a supervisor at places like UTK. The pay is not that much better and with the general low pay of the staff everyone is unhappy. He wants out of if, but they won’t let him step down without retiring. Oddly our original supervisor was forced out at seventy; UTK likes to do that. People just walk away one day and nobody even watches or notices a difference. I walk through the building and see the same display cases and labs that have always been there. Really, the same people only different names and faces. Everything changes, but the “song remains the same”.
Christmas is at hand, but there are no decorations or outward signs of the season. It seems that such things are “out of vogue” and not politically correct anymore. Even in offices that do have a tree or other decorations, it’s all very low key. Party’s as such are frowned upon by our leaders as a waste of tax payer money; but $250K per administrator is ok, and they just go home rather than stay after the students leave. Everything changes, but the “song remains the same”.
It’s just decidedly dull and dreary on campus this year and in Knoxville for the most part. I believe we often expect the Christmas spirit to just happen “on its own” and carry us along with it. Really, that’s rather childlike and naïve; if it was only so simple. Sandy and I are going to Taos for Christmas this year and leaving it all behind. I’ve wanted to escape all the downers around here and do this for years, so this year we go. It’s time to try and make our own Christmas memories without the encumbrances of the here and now. Who knows what we’ll find. I’ll leave you with one thought that seems to resonate..

“Life is just a leap of faith, spread your arms, hold your breath and always trust your cape”

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.. Ron

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
First, thanks for sharing your story and the pictures. That is definitely a gorgeous watch. I know how I would feel if I lost such a personally valuable possession. I especially feel this way about some of the antique things I have. By themselves, they couldn't be replaced as they are, simply because they are from a time long gone. Now, add a personal, emotional significance to them, and they become even more valuable.

So glad you found it, that's gotta be one big relief!

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
Me & My Pen

When I turned 18 a very good friend gave me a Mont Blanc Pen for my birthday. I cherish it because I used it when I first signed up for classes in college. Later I would use it to sign the paperwork for my first brand new car. I used it to sign my marriage license when I got married and then a year later to sign the paperwork for our first home. Some years later I bought a matching companion pencil to go along with the pen. I still carry them both to this day.

Nashoba

One Too Many
My Opals

When we were dating my husband bought me an opal necklace with matching earrings. I was going to wear it on our wedding day until my grandmother suprised me with the gift of my great-grandmother's pearls. After my wedding I couldn't find my opals. Then they appeared in of all places my husband's truck about a year later and shortly after dissapeared again. :( I havn't seen them since...I did love them...I wish I could find them again...they'd go in the safe...

Kishtu

Practically Family
I'd miss a cheap silver ansate cross (ankh) necklace that I always wear, it was a gift from my parents and I haven't taken it off since they bought it for me over 10 years ago.

Even if I'm doing 17th century re-enactment and can't keep it round my neck I unclasp the chain and then clasp it again round a strap, or tuck it inside an item of clothing so it's still on my person. The chain breaks from time to time, so I have a little nervous tic of putting my hand to my throat periodically to make sure it's still there....

Other than that, my engagement ring, but I never take that off anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy