Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I've started a hat trend in the office.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Very cool. At least once a week someone asks me about my hats. As well, as much as I can, I turn guys on to some of my older lids - wool and entry level hats that I don't wear anymore. It's nice to see.

Wayfarer

New in Town
I need to buy and old basher for work.

I work in a lab in a production facility and I hate the thought of a vintage fedora smelling like my clothes do at the end of the day.

MattJH

One Too Many
June 2007 update -- Somebody came in today wearing a black Minnetonka. Looks like wool felt with a thin brown leather band. It's something!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, let's just hope this starts a trend with their friends and family, and slowly, from every corner of the world, the FL starts a vintage-look trend everywhere! :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Catching

Saturday, I had to attend an outdoor event. It was 90 degrees and muggy, with full sunshine. There were many bald men in the crowd of about 30 people. You kind of get used to being the only fellow in a proper hat, so I didn't take much notice of anyone looking at my Panama.

While we were all supposed to be listening to the speaker, two of the men sidled over to me to ask about my hat. One said it looked like it was perfect for such a day. I told him I take my own shady place with me everywhere I go. :)

In my email this morning I even got a picture of me in my hat from that day that someone took, with the subject line "Nice hat smart guy!"

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have found, through the years, that if you are not afraid of seeming "eccentric" for a little while, you will find that you have started a fashion trend.

karol

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Suprised

I've been suprised since getting off ball caps into any alternative style of hat (though especially in a fedora) how often someone compliments my lid.
The first time I even wore a real "fedora" was out to a movie with my wife and, of all places, an employee of the video game store said, "I love that hat! Wear them often myself ..."

hargist

One of the Regulars
I wear fedoras every day, and always with a suit at the office. In fact, I'm the only one in my office that bothers to wear a suit every day. Not even the partners do.

I get compliments on my hat at least once a week. In fact, I just got one over lunch today and a couple yesterday. I agree with scotrace that once you get used to being the only one with a hat (other than a baseball hat), you tend to stop noticing being noticed, though I enjoy the attention it gives me as most of it is overwhelmingly positive.

I do proselytise the benefits of wearing a fully brimmed hat, especially to guys who are thin on the top. My tact is to talk about them in a "why wouldn't you wear a hat" kind of manner, explaining the protection benefits and the fact that they just look cool.

I don't think the guys in my office are going to start wearing hats anytime soon, but I have noticed a trend of more people wearing hats in general. Now if we can just get the guys who wear baseball caps with suits to trade them in for fedoras, that would be a MAJOR improvement!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think there is a direct association to you wearing hats and others emulating it. I have noticed it is sort of a revalation when someone sees your hat and how decent it looks. They immediately picture themselves in one and it's sort of a "d'oh, never thought of that," moment.

They see them on vintage TV but until they see one and even talk to a fedora owner they don't make a connection. My minister recently took interest in one of mine and I emphasized how great he'd look with one in his suit.

A girl in her 20s at a restaurant I patronize during our weekly vintage car cruise-in always says "nice hat!" I finally told her, and others, I get them off Ebay in case they actually wish to obtain one for themselves or a friend.

I think it's a one by one enlightenment out there.

akaBruno

Suspended
I've noticed men older than myself calling me Sir, when I wear a fedora to town. And that is definitely unusual considering the fact that I'm an old long haired hippy. :D

BRUNO

hargist

One of the Regulars
akaBruno said:
I've noticed men older than myself calling me Sir, when I wear a fedora to town. And that is definitely unusual considering the fact that I'm an old long haired hippy. :D

BRUNO

I've noticed that too. I've always looked much younger than my age and before I started wearing fedoras, I would constantly get carded. Now that I wear a fedora pretty much all the time, it happens less frequently and I'm also called "sir" a lot.

The other thing I notice is that people give deference to me when I'm wearing a fedora and suit. So if I arrive at an elevator at the same time as another guy, the other guy usually insists that I go first.

I guess clothes do make the man.

akaBruno

Suspended
My bud Dr. Wankell has always told me that your atire makes all the difference on how you are treated in public. He was talking about wearing a tie.

I'd rather wear a hat. :D

BRUNO

akaBruno

Suspended
My bud Dr. Wankell has always told me that your attire makes all the difference on how you are treated in public. He was talking about wearing a tie.

I'd rather wear a hat. :D

BRUNO

funneman

Practically Family
Starting a trend at work.

I've been wearing a fedora to work everyday for about the last two years.

Last week the headbanger that I work with came in proudly wearing a nice looking black Bailey.

After he rode with me to an engagement listening to some Spade Cooley and some Milton Brown he asked me for a copy of the disc.

Could it be...

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I started wearing an Akubra Stylemaster on a regular basis a few months ago and have gotten quite a few positive comments about it, mostly from women, who are probably more comfortable remarking on a man's appearance and dress than most other men (not that I'm complaining). One of the more encouraging comments, though, came from a man I know professionally. A co-worker and I were meeting with him in the line of work and he asked me about the hat, and where I got it. I told him it was an Akubra, and that I'd ordered it direct from Australia since no one in the U.S. carries it. He knew about Akubra, and told me he has a Snowy River. He seemed sincerely interested in the Stylemaster, so I told him where I'd gotten it and when I got back to my office I sent him an email with a link. I agree with what others have suggested, that many people never think of a fedora as an option (as opposed to say a baseball cap or cowboy hat) until they see a peer wearing one and then the little light bulb comes on over their head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace