Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I took a gamble . . .

mingoslim

Practically Family
Picked this new hat up on a whim last night on the bay for the outrageous price of $9.99 (plus $6.00 shipping) . . .

The title of the listing was: UNUSUAL THIN BAND LONG BRIM FEDORA INDIANA JONES STYLE . . .

The listing told me next to nothing, not even a maker, or style name, but I took a chance . . .

I will be interested to see how it pans out, and will let you all know what I have once I receive it.

newhat02-1.jpg

newhat01-1.jpg

And yes, I know that the feather has got to go!

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Even if it winds up not being the best quality hat ever, it's still a nifty-looking lid, especially for $16. :D

I don't know; the feather's kinda quirky. I like it. Just not in that hat. ;)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
wow- how'd I miss that?

Great hat you've got there. I hope it turns out to be something amazing when it shows up.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Luckily, it's the easiest thing in the world to pull out a hat feather.

you'd think so. On my stratoliner, the person sewed the feather to the ribbon and to the felt.:rage:

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
you'd think so. On my stratoliner, the person sewed the feather to the ribbon and to the felt.:rage:

:eek: I can almost see sewing it to the ribbon if you really really like the feather (note the key word: almost), but to the felt, too? Wow. Just... wow.

Wow. o_O

That's worse than the pocket square I saw in a jacket at Goodwill last week. Looked normal at first glance, but when I pulled it out of the pocket... it was just four fabric peaks attached to a paper card. On the card, near the bottom, was printed a dotted line with the words, "Fold to Fit." :eusa_doh:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is an unique hat...

...I am looking forward to seeing more of it when it comes in. I think that was a great acquisition.

I kind of like the feather too. William Powell, as "Nick Charles," wears a feather in his hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
AdmiralTofu said:
:eek: I can almost see sewing it to the ribbon if you really really like the feather (note the key word: almost), but to the felt, too? Wow. Just... wow.

Wow. o_O

That's worse than the pocket square I saw in a jacket at Goodwill last week. Looked normal at first glance, but when I pulled it out of the pocket... it was just four fabric peaks attached to a paper card. On the card, near the bottom, was printed a dotted line with the words, "Fold to Fit." :eusa_doh:

I think those were actually pretty common back in the day. My grandfather's tux jacket has a pocket square like that, but it has advertising on it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
AdmiralTofu said:
... when I pulled it out of the pocket... it was just four fabric peaks attached to a paper card. On the card, near the bottom, was printed a dotted line with the words, "Fold to Fit." :eusa_doh:

Those were made for dry cleaners, who would put them into the breast pockets of their clients' cleaned suit jackets. Usually the card had the dry cleaner's address and phone number printed on it. I guess it was considered a nice touch in the 1960s [huh]

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Those were made for dry cleaners, who would put them into the breast pockets of their clients' cleaned suit jackets. Usually the card had the dry cleaner's address and phone number printed on it. I guess it was considered a nice touch in the 1960s [huh]

Learn something new every day, I guess. :) That's pretty neat -- a wearable business card!

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Mingoslim, my finger was poised....

Bubba, I was about a second away from giving you a serious double-digit run for your money -- and decided not to. Part of it was because you had put a stake in the ground, but mostly because suddenly I felt almost certain I knew the hat's brand, and I've already owned one.

I think it's a Bee Brands Dynafelt. Compare it to these shots when you get it:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762392666895

The color's a little orangey; most accurate color is underside of brim. I don't think mine was way-back vintage, leastwise no more than 15 or so years. The giveaway was the paper size tag with modern typography. Also, there was no reorder label. I'd be interested to see what it turns out to be when you get it.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nicely done Mingoslim. I've never seen an IJ style quite like it before;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass