Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to re-block at home: need some help

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
I have couple of fedoras I would like to re-block (e.g., reverse some of the crown taper, etc). However, these hats don't warrant the $$ to have them professionally done plus I want to get some hands-on experience.

Since this is primarily a money saving exercise, I was going to try a $19 polyurethane block from these guys - http://www.franksupply.com/hatmakingsupplies.html#hatblocks

Given that my primary goals are to fill out/stretch the crown and get staight(er) sides, would you recommend the high dome model (HBHD) or the gentle dome model (HBGD) on that web page? My gut says the high dome, since I would have more height to really work with the crown but I am not certain.

Also, I don't want to remove the leather sweatbands. So, given that I am a size 7 5/8 or ~24 inches, am I correct in assuming that I would have to use a model with a 23 inch circumfrence?

Thanks.

hag

New in Town
hatblocking

Steam them well and try blocking them "free-hand". Never remove the leather sweatmand. Hag

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
hag said:
Steam them well and try blocking them "free-hand". Never remove the leather sweatmand. Hag

I suppose this is true if you want to maintain the hat's size. What, however, do you do when you want to size a hat up, like, two sizes? I would suppose the sweat would have to be removed, yes?

hatted

One of the Regulars
I'd like to do this to one of my hats as well. What I want to know is, do you really have to take the liner out?

filfoster

One Too Many
Bump

NukeMeSlowly said:
Bump, hoping someone will address my specific questions... :)

I basically want to be able to do what is done in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHV5FY0yYN8 - the re-blocking/smoothing action, not so much the specific bash.

Double bump: Has anyone actually done this with one of these reasonably priced blocks for which Corky gave the link?

lci419

Familiar Face
Yes, hats can be reblocked without taking the sweatband out. I sure hope nobody here thinks that hatters remove them before doing so. :rolleyes:

I've got several western hats which have been reblocked. While in M.L. Leddy's Boots and Saddlery down in Ft. Worth, Texas, I even stood around talking with the guy while he did it (great store btw, and with the prices and quality of goods they've got, they ain't gonna have no hack working on hats). Pulled the liner out, I believe he then flipped the sweatband down, steamed it and forced it onto the hat block and let it cool and reshape while smoothing it out with his fingers.

I personally am looking at buying one of the "Hatshapers" listed above and was concerned about the durability. Accidentally ran across one the other day in person and became a lot more confident about the durability. Looks like they would hold up very well for those of us who just occasionally want to reblock a hat.

To increase the size you will need a hat stretcher which are available fairly cheaply on Ebay.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I think the reality is that most of the joes (meaning non-hatters) here at the Lounge just freehand this sort of thing. I just did a couple of my own hats last night. I straightened the sides of one of my country Akubras and lowered the overall bash a quarter inch on one of my super tall Fed III's. I just used my hands, a tea pot and a wooden spoon to press against. It's not hard but it does take a bit of time. It's easy to see why the pros use blocks to get the job done quickly and uniformly. If you do purchase one of these blocks, please post a report here at the Lounge since you may be the first here to try one. I'm sure your input would be appreciated.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
High Five

Havana said:
...I just used my hands, a tea pot and a wooden spoon to press against. It's not hard but it does take a bit of time....

The Kitchen really is the best place to cook a crease.... well, unless you live on a river... :eek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
NukeMeSlowly said:
Hmm, nearly 200 views on this thread and no one has answered my questions.

A little help please. :)

And I like to know, from someone who knows, if the sweat has to be removed if youre going up 2 sizes, like from an 1/8 to 3/8. Ive already tried stretching a particular hat a bunch of times, but it never stays stretched more than a few days. Thanks.

here's my...

1870_two_cents_rev.jpeg
worth.

I can't guarantee that those foam shapers would be sturdy enough to smooth out a hat on, or take the steam needed. I would try a hat shaper and have thought about getting one of those as well. I have found that all of my hats, with the exception of one, I have been able to get the shape I want with my two hands and a wine glass.

if you are looking to take a modern tapered hat and give it the look of an Akubra Fed 4, it ain't gonna happen and if you do succeed in getting it close, I've found that they tend to "shrink" back.

No you do not need to remove the liner or sweatband to reblock a hat, you just typically use a block one size down that the size of the hat

if you are trying to stretch a hat more that a 1/2 size or so, you will have to pull the sweatband and sew in a new one, you're either going to split the original sweatband to pieces and / or, the hat will want to shink back down over time (I have that problem w/ my Fed 4)

hope my ramblings helped....

frussell

One Too Many
Flanging

I have a Hatshaper, and like it, but be advised, buy a size smaller than you think, as mine is a tad too big, since I ordered my actual head size. The straight-sided dome is especially nice for fedoras with no taper. Do any of you have any more tricks or products I can use to put more curl in the brim, especially at the rear of the fedora? Using steam or spray with hands only, it seems like there is always a ripple, wave, or pucker in the brim when I try to curl it upwards. Finding my size in a real hat flange is next to impossible, so any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Frank

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
And I like to know, from someone who knows, if the sweat has to be removed if youre going up 2 sizes, like from an 1/8 to 3/8. Ive already tried stretching a particular hat a bunch of times, but it never stays stretched more than a few days. Thanks.

You're going to have a really hard time going up two sizes on a one piece block, be it wood or plastic. You pretty well need to do it on a split dome stretcher block, that has a size guage. (They're usually aluminum.) You don't have to remove the sweatband, but if you don't want to cry over a torn sweatband, it's a good idea to clip the back seam completely (including the reed) and about 1/4" of the stitches on either side of the seam. This is usually enough "give" to keep from tearing or splitting the sweatband somewhere else. (You will end up with a gap in back, but it doesn't look that bad, and you certainly can't feel it when it's on your head.) There are some who stretch the leather, But I don't, anymore.

When blocking a hat with the sweatband in the crown, use one size smaller block (i.e. for a 7 1/8 hat, use a 7 block. If you turn the sweatband down, you can use the same size you're shooting for. :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
...but if you don't want to cry over a torn sweatband, it's a good idea to clip the back seam completely (including the reed) and about 1/4" of the stitches on either side of the seam. This is usually enough "give" to keep from tearing or splitting the sweatband somewhere else. (You will end up with a gap in back, but it doesn't look that bad, and you certainly can't feel it when it's on your head.) There are some who stretch the leather, But I don't, anymore.

That's great advice. If you were to stretch a taped-sweatband fedora, you would end up with the same gap and not even notice it when wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko