Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideal pit-to-pit measurement for an aero board racer based on the chest size?

Booneville

New in Town
Is there a formula to figure out the right pit to pit measurement on a jacket for a given chest size? This is for online shopping and I need some help in sizing it.

I'm looking at getting an Aero CXFQHH board racer. My chest (with a layer) is 46" and my current lambskin cafe racer measures 24.5" in pit to pit. Given that CXFQHH is thicker, what pit-to-pit should I aim for?

Although the question is about Aero broad racer, I'm curious what "ease" in the chest measurement do people target for heavy jackets. The chest on all my jackets seem to be 4/5" plus my actual chest size.

And to the owners of aero CXFQHH board racer, what size would you advise me? My chest is 46" and I'm 6'2.

Thanks,

Wolverine

New in Town
Welcome!

The BR as you probably already know is a slim fit (think: EU / Continental Fit, subtract some due to narrow shirt-like shoulders), originally based on a moto “racing shirt” (back when folks raced on wooden boards wanting a tighter fit–i.e., no excess material thus no rubbing-- to protect the skin on (inevitable) slips, etc.) and, as such, a practical, functional product of a different era, but super cool and looks terrific for modern casual wear, I agree. (These days, motorcycles go much faster and dedicated moto jackets come with safety features such as armor (with air bags in i.e. racing suits, benefiting/trickling down to everyday riding gear now, too), much like cars / drivers have upped not only their power but also their safety game, too, starting with seat belts, etc. (and air bags, standard in the USA since the 90s). While I ride with modern, armor equipped moto jackets (Vanson, Alpine Stars), there’s something wonderful about old school Café Racer / Board Racer jackets, and love them (off-the-bike).

In terms of fit, depends on a few variables, most importantly is, in addition to your chest, what are your shoulder and sweep measurements and how tight do you want it to fit? While, in addition to moto dedicated (safety, riding) Café Racer style jackets, I’ve a few for casual, off-the-bike enjoyment by different makers (Schott, Vanson, Brimaco, HD) in different leathers (horse, steer & cowhide) and materials (wool, denim, wax cotton), too, and just recently picked up my first from Aero, Board Racer, in CXL Horse – love the style, and the current sale at Aero, too. I’m an athletic woman, swimmer’s build, supposedly tall (at 5’7”, about the same or just shy of the average American man who comes in at just under 5’8”, the average American woman at 5’3”, according to the CDC), typically wear a 38 Vanson (continental fit -- 4” ease, slim fit), dropping to a 36 in the ENF (7” ease) for a classic, American fit (34 ENF for a slim, t-shirt only fit and that, the 34, is only possible because it has an action back without which would not fit – far too tight / restrict movement). Because the BR has “narrow” shoulders and does not come standard with gussets much less a full action back like the ENF I elected to go not with a 38 but, rather, a 40 for the BR; this, for a more classic American fit (one that would make my shoulders happy / not restrict movement and also enable me to also wear a sweater while still looking OK with a t-shirt), though gussets could if you go custom be added by Aero which in turn would, depending on your build / shoulder measurements, allow you more “wiggle room” if needed/desired should you want that vintage, t-shirt only vibe (and a good vibe it is ).

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome!

The BR as you probably already know is a slim fit (think: EU / Continental Fit, subtract some due to narrow shirt-like shoulders), originally based on a moto “racing shirt” (back when folks raced on wooden boards wanting a tighter fit–i.e., no excess material thus no rubbing-- to protect the skin on (inevitable) slips, etc.) and, as such, a practical, functional product of a different era, but super cool and looks terrific for modern casual wear, I agree. (These days, motorcycles go much faster and dedicated moto jackets come with safety features such as armor (with air bags in i.e. racing suits, benefiting/trickling down to everyday riding gear now, too), much like cars / drivers have upped not only their power but also their safety game, too, starting with seat belts, etc. (and air bags, standard in the USA since the 90s). While I ride with modern, armor equipped moto jackets (Vanson, Alpine Stars), there’s something wonderful about old school Café Racer / Board Racer jackets, and love them (off-the-bike).

In terms of fit, depends on a few variables, most importantly is, in addition to your chest, what are your shoulder and sweep measurements and how tight do you want it to fit? While, in addition to moto dedicated (safety, riding) Café Racer style jackets, I’ve a few for casual, off-the-bike enjoyment by different makers (Schott, Vanson, Brimaco, HD) in different leathers (horse, steer & cowhide) and materials (wool, denim, wax cotton), too, and just recently picked up my first from Aero, Board Racer, in CXL Horse – love the style, and the current sale at Aero, too. I’m an athletic woman, swimmer’s build, supposedly tall (at 5’7”, about the same or just shy of the average American man who comes in at just under 5’8”, the average American woman at 5’3”, according to the CDC), typically wear a 38 Vanson (continental fit -- 4” ease, slim fit), dropping to a 36 in the ENF (7” ease) for a classic, American fit (34 ENF for a slim, t-shirt only fit and that, the 34, is only possible because it has an action back without which would not fit – far too tight / restrict movement). Because the BR has “narrow” shoulders and does not come standard with gussets much less a full action back like the ENF I elected to go not with a 38 but, rather, a 40 for the BR; this, for a more classic American fit (one that would make my shoulders happy / not restrict movement and also enable me to also wear a sweater while still looking OK with a t-shirt), though gussets could if you go custom be added by Aero which in turn would, depending on your build / shoulder measurements, allow you more “wiggle room” if needed/desired should you want that vintage, t-shirt only vibe (and a good vibe it is ).

This is more of a heads-up than anything but if you would like a slim board racer type racing shirt, available with armor, the Vanson Comet is hard to beat–even next to the Aero. It's available in a women's version as well. You may already have it but I'm mentioning it here in case any forum women would like to grab it at its current 50% off!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is there a formula to figure out the right pit to pit measurement on a jacket for a given chest size? This is for online shopping and I need some help in sizing it.

I'm looking at getting an Aero CXFQHH board racer. My chest (with a layer) is 46" and my current lambskin cafe racer measures 24.5" in pit to pit. Given that CXFQHH is thicker, what pit-to-pit should I aim for?

Although the question is about Aero broad racer, I'm curious what "ease" in the chest measurement do people target for heavy jackets. The chest on all my jackets seem to be 4/5" plus my actual chest size.

And to the owners of aero CXFQHH board racer, what size would you advise me? My chest is 46" and I'm 6'2.

Thanks,

I would suggest to try both 46 and 48 If they have them on the sale page now. It’s very difficult to judge from just numbers. These Shacklet type are cut really close (high armhole and skinny sleeves) and in CXL makes them less forgiving. You may need a 48 but try a 46 to see if you like it first.

If you have any of the following Aeros, Ridley, or any of the Premier jackets, and are comfortable in any of those, order the same size, in theory they fit very similar.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

Thanks,
If you are based in North America, you would be well advised to hit up Carrie at Thurston Brothers and do the fit jacket process. It may cost a small amount more, but nailing the fit (the first time) is so worth it in the end.

If you are a "46" chest and 6' 2" tall, we're not all that far apart. I typically take 44' chest jacket, and am 6' 1" (~ 200 lbs, size 36 waist jeans). Are you seeking an exceptionally tight jacket, that you will use on a bike most of the time? If your dimensions are anything close to mine, you may well like their 4-pocket cafe racer quite a bit more. I've owned two of them (tag size 42 each - but do some reading on here about Aero's sizing). The 4-pocket has quite a bit more flexibility in it's build (and Carrie can dial it in much more). I tried another member's "44" Board racer and it fit like a sausage case - that I could not zip up. I ended up returning it to him since it simply was too tight in nearly even dimension.

Actually, a quick search on here found a "size 46 blue CXLFQHH Board Racer" that may not have sold (from 2021) Note the dimensions on it: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-buco-board-racer-midnight-blue-cxl-46.106121/

It is not a Cafe Racer, but Carrie recently delivered to me my "size 46" Ridley, and you can see the fit details on it on page 8 of this thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-ridley-j106-repository-thread.101995/page-8

Last edited:

Damon141

Practically Family
IMG_4915.jpeg

, everyone is shaped differently but I will say that a lot of it has to do with how high the arm holes are, let’s say you have one jacket with 24.5” P2P and the pattern of the shoulders has a sloping angle and a large arm hole, then that P2P line will be different than a jacket with straight:horizontal shoulders and small arm holes.
My chest was about 46” in that photo and the jacket has 24.5” p2p
IMG_4918.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner