Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could only have one hat....

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
JohnnyB53 said:
Well, go back and check my post again and you'll see what a brutal editor I can be[,] even with myself.

And [A]s used in your sentence, the word is "do," not "due."

If you're going to point a spelling and grammar checking finger on a board such as this, take note of those four fingers pointing back at you as you fail to use proper punctuation and begin a sentence with a conjunction (rendering it a fragment).

BTW, the post that you commented upon is nearly two years old, and was posted by a member whose last post was about a year ago.

D

demian

WeeGee:

I really like your style...great boots indeed.

These hats suit you perfectly. Very hip. Nice to see another wear fedoras in a more modern / contemporary way.

Have fun.

best wishes.

WEEGEE said:
I do have to say... it is a very difficult answer... which Art hat???
_GDG8028.jpg

This one has certainly had a profound influence in my life but its still so hard to choose from the masterpieces ?

Outside of V.S. land my second choice would be this Borsalino...
IMG_0758.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
demian said:
WeeGee:

I really like your style...great boots indeed.

These hats suit you perfectly. Very hip. Nice to see another wear fedoras in a more modern / contemporary way.
WeeGee has style to spare. I was just thinking
about how he does such justice to his VS Spumoni, I
hesitate to pose for a picture of mine on this forum.

Garrett appears to have quite the hat collection...
and good taste in comics, too (yeah, I know the
quote came from the movie first, but I bet I know
where you got it).

Still can't name one hat which might allow me to
cull the herd.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think WEEGEE is the the kind of hat wearer (and general dresser) we should all aspire to be. Stylish, classic, yet totally individual. And so comfortable in his hat and himself, it should be illegal! :D

Thank you yet again for some great photos W!

Bumping this old thread. Before it went off the rails it was a fun idea.

One hat for everything…I’m thinking my nutria Gannon is sage as it’s an outdoorsy hat that I can dress up. It will never be a true dress hat, but for my lifestyle it is incredibly versatile. I’ll also add that despite being called sage it doesn’t have much green. If not this than a similar hat in natural would get my vote.

94E74413-3D8D-4274-A111-6812817CB2D6.jpeg
621EA7D1-3E6C-4C07-930C-4D999656FB02.jpeg

Who?

Practically Family
I only have five (5) “real“ hats, so for me the choice is far less complicated.
1. Akubra Boss, sand
2. Akubra Boss, dark brown
3. Akubra Territory, sand
4. Rand’s Gambler, beaver blend, black
5. Rand’s Gambler, 100% beaver, silverbelly

Although the 100% beaver is obviously my most “elegant” hat, I seldom wear it.

The black Rand’s Gambler has seen lots of wear over 20 years, and is a bit lighter in color now. The brim is also a tiny bit wonky.

I wore the Bosses quite often in their turn, but then I went back to the black gambler.

The Territory just “clicked” with me, except that it did not fit as well as the two Rand’s hats. After four and a half months of almost constant wear, it fits pretty well now. I still hate to take it off.

So after all that, I think I would choose the Territory to keep, even though I have “better” custom hats.

Perhaps a foolish choice, but as I have said before, if I had bought the Territory years ago, I might have saved some money.

Connecticut does not have frog-strangling tropical deluges very often, nor does it have searing UV indicies of 12+, but I still enjoy the protection it gives me.

Addendum: I see that the UV index in northern Australia is already 14+ and it is only spring.

Last edited:
I only have five (5) “real“hats, so for me the choice is far less complicated.
1. Akubra Boss, sand
2. Akubra Boss, dark brown
3. Akubra Territory, sand
4. Rand’s Gambler, beaver blend, black
5. Rand’s Gambler, 100% beaver, silverbelly

Although the 100% beaver is obviously my most “elegant” hat, I seldom wear it.

The black Rand’s Gambler has seen lots of wear over 20 years, and is a bit lighter in color now. The brim is also a tiny bit wonky.

I wore the Bosses quite often in their turn, but then I went back to the black gambler.

The Territory just “clicked” with me, except that it did not fit as well as the two Rand’s hats. After four and a half months of almost constant wear, it fits pretty well now. I still hate to take it off.

So after all that, I think I would choose the Territory to keep, even though I have “better” custom hats.

Perhaps a foolish choice, but as I have said before, if I had bought the Territory years ago, I might have saved some money.

Connecticut does not have frog-strangling tropical deluges very often, nor does it have searing UV indicies of 12+, but I still enjoy the protection it gives me.

This is interesting. To be honest, my hats that get the most wear are 1970s to ‘90s westerns that I’ve re-styled and the 3 1/2” wide brim is my favorite. They are hard wearing hats that I like the looks of, but they don’t have the best of anything (felt, sweatbands, ribbons, etc.), and the build quality is generously described as not refined. They aren’t my favorite hats, not by a long shot, but they are the ones that get the most use.

I’m sticking with the Gannon for my one hat for now, but I found your post illuminating.

dkstott

Practically Family
Interesting thread.

I only own a half dozen fedora's, but own a dozen or more caps of varying styles

It's a tie for me as to which is #1 fedora

My #1 & #2 are the Akubra Banjo Patteron or my Steston Roadster.

The Banjo Patterson has been my yard work, hiking and aroundctown errands hat for several years. Whereas the Stetson Roadster is the go to fedora for all occasions where the weather isn't a concern

#3 Is my Stetson 100% Beaver fedora. It gets worn to dressier occasions, such as weddings, fancier dining, etc. It's essentially a beaver version of the Temple.

#4 & 5 have to be either my Gamble and Gunn Grey herringbone newsboy or their brown Donegal tweed newsboy.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I'm going to have to come back to this later. I certainly don't have the conundrum that many others are faced with as I only have three felt hats and two straws (none of my other hats really qualify for this forum).
My new Gannon is still in the break-in period so it's too soon to pick "the one."

dmsantam

New in Town
I have 5 akubras:
Angler
Sombrero
Fed IV Deluxe
Campdraft
Cattleman

For me, it would have to be the Fed IV. It's versatile and can be worn formally, or for yard work. It's also tough and comfortable. I will miss my Sombrero the most, especially on a sunny day.

1667519015334.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy