Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you were going to spend 500 on a hat -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I would not spend $500 on any hat that did not do this.
goldgerg-hat-500.jpg

Rube Goldberg Hat, © Phil Bliss Studio

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Exactly. The rest of the world is following a winning example, because we're sending it right to their door. Our chief exports are chips and democracy. Our new national slogan: Eat That, Terrorists!

(but I don't think we designed that package)
Don't be so sure. There are as many points on the outside of the package as on the inside. Note the position of the foot of the dominant Round Eyes upon his Slant-Eyed victim.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Richard Warren said:
To those who say with a Borsalino you are only buying a name, I say that I bought an Open Road, then I bought a Campdraft, then I bought an Alessandria, and finally got the soft, flexible, comfortable, well-made hat I wanted all along.

It's a problem I have with pronouncements about "quality" or lack thereof. You have include a large ration of whether it looks like something you want on your head and a heaping helping of does it feel good on your head into any assessment of "quality".

A stiff hat, a heavy hat or an ugly hat can never be said to be of "high quality" as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if it lasts 400 years and comes through a tropical deluge bone dry and looking brand new. It'll still be stiff or heavy or ugly. As for the prospect of buying used vintage hats off eBay...well I have no opinion on that option, what with being the owner of a size 7-3/4 cranium and being a person who totally believes in the existence of cooties.

buler

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Don't be so sure. There are as many points on the outside of the package as on the inside. Note the position of the foot of the dominant Round Eyes upon his Slant-Eyed victim.

Its just Pierre and Jonathan.

pierre_jonathan.gif

doritos_wtf.jpg

I like the wolf one....

japanese_doritos.jpg

B

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Brent Hutto said:
A stiff hat, a heavy hat or an ugly hat can never be said to be of "high quality" as far as I'm concerned.
Having grown up wearing Western style hats I must admit my tendency to equate stiffness with quality. Any hat that won't hold its shape after your horse rolled over it just ain't worth a dime!

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
BanjoMerlin said:
Having grown up wearing Western style hats I must admit my tendency to equate stiffness with quality. Any hat that won't hold its shape after your horse rolled over it just ain't worth a dime!

I was hoping a stiff hat lover would chime in. That's exactly my point.

The most lovely, soft, pliable vintage pure-beaver Borsalino in all of eBay would not seem like much of a "quality hat" to you.

And there has never been a Western hat made that is going to seem like a "quality hat" if I put it atop my head.

That's why it doesn't accomplish much for someone to say "Well you may love the way that hat feels and fits but the quality just isn't there" as though "quality" is some separate feature the hat has that makes all those other things not matter.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brent Hutto said:
I was hoping a stiff hat lover would chime in. That's exactly my point.

The most lovely, soft, pliable vintage pure-beaver Borsalino in all of eBay would not seem like much of a "quality hat" to you.

And there has never been a Western hat made that is going to seem like a "quality hat" if I put it atop my head.

That's why it doesn't accomplish much for someone to say "Well you may love the way that hat feels and fits but the quality just isn't there" as though "quality" is some separate feature the hat has that makes all those other things not matter.
Quality(as in how well crafted or materials) is indeed distinct from pure functionality(quality as a descriptive characteristic) and is certainly subject to comparison within the same functional group. Beautifully stitched is not the same as hard or soft. Finely finished can apply to almost any style.

I have Borsalinos from probably all but the first decade of the 20th Century. They have many different qualities: thick, thin ,fuzzy ,firm floppy stiff. But the hat from the 1990's has the poorest quality of workmanship(stitching ,alignment, felt eveness) and the felt is the least dense and finely finished of them all. The ribbon is also coarser and not as finely woven or the same sheen. It does not hold its shape as well either. Not a bad hat--but of lesser quality.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I know that Doritos is a quality snack food because of the style of the packaging. I mean, how can a box of cookies compete? They're in a box! Doritos come in a flexible bag so soft that you could sleep on it - and I have.

Sure, the boxed cookie people will say that quality is about the stiffness of the box, and how well it can protect the cookies far better than a cushion of air protects Doritos.

You know what though, in my opinion, a bag is better than a box, and nothing determines objective quality better than my subjective preference.

_________
BTW, great new avatar Buler!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I know that Doritos is a quality snack food because of the style of the packaging. I mean, how can a box of cookies compete? They're in a box! Doritos come in a flexible bag so soft that you could sleep on it - and I have.

Sure, the boxed cookie people will say that quality is about the stiffness of the box, and how well it can protect the cookies far better than a cushion of air protects Doritos.

You know what though, in my opinion, a bag is better than a box, and nothing determines objective quality better than my subjective preference.

_________
BTW, great new avatar Buler!

What about PRINGLES quality?

4679684060_3ca246de0c_b.jpg

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Brent Hutto said:

I have come to appreciate the qualities of the "eastern" style dress hats but I've also come to realize that "pure-beaver" doesn't guarantee top quality any more than the name in the liner.

It is certainly possible for a low-quality hat to fit and look great and just as possible that a top-quality hat could fit and look terrible. They really are two separate things.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
What about PRINGLES quality?

[IMGhttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1284/4679684060_3ca246de0c_b.jpg[/IMG]

In Doritos circles, we call that a tapered box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael