I'm making a hat band

Discussion in 'Hats' started by MagicMan, Nov 26, 2020.

1. MagicMan

MagicMan New in Town

Sooo, I'm just getting into hats and picked up my first one - a Bailey Sperling in Lite Felt. While I appreciate the genuine leather band that came with it, I believe I can dress it up a bit. I'm a fairly experienced leatherworker, having done mostly holsters, belts, handbags, and wallets. Let's try a hat band.
    Here's the Bailey now.
    20201126_093022.jpg
    And here's the band that I'm working on. I'm waiting on some supplies to arrive before I finish it.
    20201126_093004.jpg

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have been making a few leather bands and for me it is a great entry point into leather work. I have done a few with random mottled finishes via a stamp. But am more attracted to a nice piece of leather plain......joined by thread and then the join hidden by a concho. I buy real buffalo nickel conchos on Etsy. The maker domes them and welds a Chicago screw back. I have yet to attempt a punched pattern....one day I will make the time. Your work looks great!

Zombie_61 and MagicMan like this.
  3. MagicMan

MagicMan New in Town

Thank you, sir.
    I will have to look into those conchos.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. glider

glider One of the Regulars

Tandy leather has about any kind of Concho you can imagine in there stores. Good quality and any hardware you might need.

5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I buy my conchos from Tandy. Once in a while I will get a bad batch and the Chicago screw threads are wonky but for a few buck I just eat the loss. I really like the Etsy buffalo head/indian head nickel conchos as they are real nickels that the craftsman has somehow domed. They are pricey at about $24Canadian with the shipping but having the real deal is worth it to me.

MagicMan and deadlyhandsome like this.
  6. glider

sounds cool

7. deadlyhandsome likes this.
  8. glider

I may need to make the trip down there to check them out.