Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm thinking of buying my first hat

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
My first felt hat, which I got at about your age, was a black wool fedora.

These points have been made but I reiterate:

Fur felt is much nicer than wool.

Avoid hats that are "sized" small/med/large/xl .

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mons, I looked at your picture. From my limited experience, the tall straight crown of the hat I can offer will not suit you so well. I'm happy to email you pictures if you give me an address, but in my opinion you're face is too narrow and may be dwarfed by the crown.

My advice is to go for a warm grey colour, as that will go nicely with brown. A brown hat with a brown leather jacket is likely to get you so many Indiana Jones comments that you may be put off hat wearing, unless that doesn't bother you.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
mons,

Welcome to the forum. I disagree with most of what has been advised here. From your picture, and given your age, I would ditch the idea of a fedora for now. I think your jacket is nice. For your winters there, just use a wool navy watch cap. If it gets wet, wool still keeps you warm when it is wet. However, since you are wearing a leather bomber type jacket, you should keep that out of the rain as well, so carry a slicker to throw over your ensemble if the weather involves rain of snow.

Cheers,

M8

sproily

Practically Family
I don't think there is anything to stop you from buying a proper fedora.

And it would definately not be your age or your picture if something were to stop you. Maybe money or finding a proper match for you face, but not those things.

Just remember to slick your hair back as you wear the fedora. I think Adam Savage from Mythbusters does an enviable job at wearing a fedora even though having slightly longer hair than the average gentleman.

112rl.jpg
112ygb.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge Mons!!!

I think you would do fine with with a fur felt fedora...It may be expensive, however, waiting and saving will make the hat that much more a treasured item.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
my opinion

Given your age, fedoras are going to be a tough fit. trendy, stingy brims are probably easier to get away with in your age group since every yuppy and poser seems to wear those things these days...

having exuded cynicism at todays youth, I will say this, you can probably go for something modern, like stetson nostalgia or dobbs etc. they are hats that are sharp, modern make and may suit you better given your age.

the problem you will face with a vintage hat is that it is vintage. the style is vintage, and to me, unless you can carry this image it will just look lik a kid trying to be hip while wearing a hat.

my advice- go to a local hat shop, and try on a number of hats, even caps etc, see what works. if modern productions don't suit you, then consider vintage, but before buying something online, try and find a vintage shop or browse your local good-will or salvation army type store.

whatever you decide, let us know. best of luck, welcome to the site

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
age doesnt matter- youre right 100%

i recall from freshman yr in undergrad when i was 18/19 that students who wanted to be "Cool" or artsy would wear hats or weird clothes, anything that made them stand out- made me think they are just weirdos looking to be different...this is why i mention it.

if you can pull it off- go for it. if you think it makes you look awkward or something then don't. but i suggest the hat shop routine first- really gives your perspective on a number of styles.

sproily

Practically Family
lol That almost sounds like you're saying if you're dressed differently you're just looking for attention.

I guess that applies to everyone on the Lounge? :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24