Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm writing a book on vintage style....

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Good ones! I have already put some in on both those topics, but I can deffinatly add more. What kind of advice would you like to see for plus sized women? Certain eras to wear, styles?

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Ooooo, or tall ladies! Cause the waists on things never hit me in the right place! Grrrr :rage: I don't know what the solution is, perhaps you will have better luck than I!

Maybe what style was longer waisted in each era? What era had drop waists? That might help :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
Ooooo, or tall ladies! Cause the waists on things never hit me in the right place! Grrrr :rage: I don't know what the solution is, perhaps you will have better luck than I!

Maybe what style was longer waisted in each era? What era had drop waists? That might help :)

For this I could probably include some age old fashion advice, like what styles and eras benefit tall people and what benefit vertically challenged people like me, haha.

Out of the book, Goldleaf, you might want to try 1920's or 1960's, the empire waist of the 1960's would be wonderful for you. Also maybe the bias cut of the 1930s or simple dresses of 1970's. Just don't for an era like the 1940's or 1950's that have that very exact waist.

The one era that I really shy away from for most people is the 1920's, just because the drop waist is really hard to pull off, even for very thin people. I believe everyone has one era, or more that truly suits them. For me, it is the 1930's, and the 1960's, designs during these eras were wonderful, the 1940's stuff looks sort of funny on me because most of it runs so big on me, and I don't find 50's to be that comfortable.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
GoldLeaf said:

Thats also a good one for big busted woman!! Bigger the bust the higher the friggen waist!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
And of course I fell for the 40's! :eusa_doh: lol Thanks for the tips!

If you fell in love with the 1940's, that is what you should wear. I have actually seen some low waisted styles in the 1940's era, emulating the 1920's look. I have also seen some pieces from the early 1940's that have a lower waist, but not a drop waist. You might want to look at some of the pieces from 1938-1942.

Another style you may want to look at is some of the beautiful Jackie o style shifts from the early 1960's, these are so elegant and beautiful and would look ausome on someone who is tall.

I love the 1940's too, but it looks kind of stupid on me if the shoulder pads arn't pulled out at the waist isn't taken in.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
Thats also a good one for big busted woman!! Bigger the bust the higher the friggen waist!

wow, this is a tough one. For you I would almost suggest 1920's, because of the tube shape cylander,they would accomodate your bust, as well as your waist, plus they are easy to alter.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
NicolettaRose said:
Good ones! I have already put some in on both those topics, but I can deffinatly add more. What kind of advice would you like to see for plus sized women? Certain eras to wear, styles?
Great! :D
Yes, exactly... Especially styles... and advice on how to have vintage influence in your wardrobe (through clothes AND accessories etc) eventhough you're plus-sized. (I am around a US 16 now...I think.)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
NicolettaRose said:
Well then I will put illustrations in. Right now, I am not really worrying so much on illustrations, more what the text of the book is going to be.

Wouldn't the text of a fashion book be dependent upon, and center around, the illustrations?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
As far as text goes, I second the desire for information on sports wear and under-pinnings.

It might also be interesting to cover some of the themes and fads that were popular at different times. (ie. The Egyptian theme in the 1920's and I think Asian and Western themes were popular now and then in the 20th century)

I also appreciate books that include sections on the care and preservation of vintage items. If this isn't your specialty, you could always talk to someone from a museum. It's always handy to have a guide on how to deal with cleaning different vintage fabrics.

I hope that helps! :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Tinseltown said:
Great! :D
Yes, exactly... Especially styles... and advice on how to have vintage influence in your wardrobe (through clothes AND accessories etc) eventhough you're plus-sized. (I am around a US 16 now...I think.)

1950's dresses look absolutely marvelous on curvy girls, same with 1940's suits. Just remember that 50's runs very small in the waist, since most people then wore girdles ( yuck). If you have a hourglass figure you could try 50's, but I believe the 1940's is truly the best decade for you. You could also try 1920's, but I don't think it would be very flattering. I would stay completely away from the bias cut garments of the 1930's.

I am petite, so a lot of vintage actually runs big on me, so this advice can work for petite or curvy women. This is what I do, if I want a particular style, if you can't find something in your size, I would recommend finding a pattern from the era have someone make you a dress or make it yourself if you are talented with a sewing machine. There are also alot companies that do make many sizes that make repros as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats