Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IMPORT DUTY

onstar

One of the Regulars
I just got an email from the shipping company- DHL stating I have to pay $76 import dut tax.

Question is, should Aero cover it or buyer?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Yes, of course. That’s VAT plus Duty. Payable for any sale or service entering the EU (above threshold).

Nothing to do with Aero (they include UK tax, which they could - theoretically- waive for non-UK order; would involve some work for them, though). Larger sellers offer different prices for UK/Non-UK buyers to mitigate the issue, but that’s up to the seller.

cbez

One Too Many
anything over 800 you will pay customs.

4203.10.40 - Articles of apparel and clothing accessories, of leather or of composition leather: Other, coats and jackets

6%

the shipper will often also charge a fee for processing all the import paper etc. I think fedex charged me $20

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
It sucks but it could be worse.
1701087778687.png

That's close to 30% in taxes.

@Tom71 they do remove VAT for orders outside of UK now.
It still stings when the duties hit but at least you are not paying for them twice.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
For that money I'd enjoy a nice trip to Scotland and bring the jacket myself.

Edit - you get hit with VAT then... they get you one way or the other...

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Yes, of course. That’s VAT plus Duty. Payable for any sale or service entering the EU (above threshold).

Nothing to do with Aero (they include UK tax, which they could - theoretically- waive for non-UK order; would involve some work for them, though). Larger sellers offer different prices for UK/Non-UK buyers to mitigate the issue, but that’s up to the seller.
Aero do not charge UK VAT on jackets delivered outside of the uk. On our site we have UK prices incuding VAT and ROW ( rest of world ) prices excluding .
In this instance the OP from Brooklyn paid 20% less than a UK customer.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I just got an email from the shipping company- DHL stating I have to pay $76 import dut tax.

Question is, should Aero cover it or buyer?
You will have paid ROW ( rest of world ) prices when ordering which excludes UK VAT, The price you paid is 20% less than a UK customer would pay. which means that you are liable for any local import duties. This is beyond Aero's control

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
^^
For that money I'd enjoy a nice trip to Scotland and bring the jacket myself.

Edit - you get hit with VAT then... they get you one way or the other...
It's worth giving it a try.
A trip to Scotland is long overdue so maybe next time.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Aero do not charge UK VAT on jackets delivered outside of the uk. On our site we have UK prices incuding VAT and ROW ( rest of world ) prices excluding .
In this instance the OP from Brooklyn paid 20% less than a UK customer.

Sorry, my bad. Didn’t know about that.

I guess I just need to order a new jacket. Last one was under the old website which - if memory serves - didn’t differentiate between UK and abroad.
Was no issue pre Brexit, of course…

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Americans by comparison pays the lowest import taxes.

I just got an Aero jacket delivered not long ago, jacket was £775 (plus £60 shipping), and my import tax bill from DHL was CAD $177.45, about 13%. If it were 5 years ago when there were no trade agreements, I'd be paying the same 30% import charges like the Europeans.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Americans by comparison pays the lowest import taxes.
I think we (Europeans) are the worst off.

Here's an example of a recent purchase, a pair of vintage cowboy boots.

Boots were $210, shipping $46, VAT $58 and custom fees $21. It gets worse when DHL does the handling, you'll be paying handling fees as well. On top of that there's PayPal currency conversion fees lol.

A4EB9730-525E-4401-BFF1-6CCC4D1BD12D.jpeg

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
You should be able to get the vat back at the airport though - or probably make a claim online Four its return.
Wearing the jacket while crossing the border might do it as well.
On top of that there's PayPal currency conversion fees lol.
I find that I can easily spare a few € paying in the seller's currency and letting my bank handle the conversion rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner