Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impulse boot buy

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I would suggest Whites or Wescos. They aren't too much more and of much higher quality than what you mentioned.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you're US and you've a dealer go with White's, I think. Just for ease of fitting alone. And no one here has ever been disappointed with White's.

Down the line maybe try Lennon, they make great boots. Their WW1 boot is amazing and they've a couple of other styles that are really good looking close up. Quite a different style with these British boots compared with US boots.

Deep down I think the Brits have a better aesthetic. :)

trapp

Practically Family
Haha, that's a can of worms! In terms of the types of boots we're discussing here they are essentially just variations of the same aesthetic: robust, well-made gunboats with more or less bulbous toe profiles. Bulbous in a beautiful way, of course.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
@nick123

Are you any closer to making a decision. Heading to thr whites dealer?

I've been planning on stopping in for over a year now, so it might be the time. I had a friend who purchased a pair of custom Farmer Ranchers from the same place. But I'm not really any closer. I think I'll have to weigh the options out myself. But thanks to everyone here.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Haha, that's a can of worms! In terms of the types of boots we're discussing here they are essentially just variations of the same aesthetic: robust, well-made gunboats with more or less bulbous toe profiles. Bulbous in a beautiful way, of course.

:)

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
White's Semi Dress in Dress Brown leather.. Beautiful leather and the quality of the boots is amazing..

I have a pair on order with the exact same leather..

wdw

One Too Many
I've already shown my two Lennon's on other threads, and always say they're much more solid than the two IR's I have. The good thing about Lennon is the wide choice of hides which for some reason they don't advertise. I chose I think black CXL and full grain burgundy, and prefer the texture of the burgundy. A nice touch is the leather liners for only £10 when I got mine a year or two ago.

You also have a choice of sole - vibram commando or leather, but they later told me they could do Dainite, but maybe you would need to supply that yourself. Dainite would be my first choice, as you have a quality rubber sole without the bulk of the commando one.

A slightly classier boot is their WW1 one, which simonc here showed somewhere. That look is more akin to RW Beckmans and OSB, but I imagine the quality will be higher at a lower price, plus you'd have the satisfaction of knowing they were made individually for you to your exact specs.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The good thing about Lennon is the wide choice of hides which for some reason they don't advertise.

Their website leaves a lot to be desired! I've seen reviews here and am aware that they offer a lot of options, but you'd never know by looking at their website.

trapp

Practically Family
In that respect, they're like the British boot version of Johnson Leathers. Classic, high quality products with tons of options - but 15 years behind on web presentation.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
In that respect, they're like the British boot version of Johnson Leathers. Classic, high quality products with tons of options - but 15 years behind on web presentation.

I can't seem to navigate to the Lennon lineup on their site when I go to the drop down bar on the left. It's probably my mobile phone. Also, I heard they won't make the boots with the full on sole in the larger sizes? From here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?45213-New-William-Lennon-Derby-Boot-Singular!
The soles are awfully thin. Are they long lasting despite this?

LouisBailie

Banned
Look at Nicks boots also they make the custom boots.

You would way ahead if you get the size you are looking for and buy used or like new off eBay/craigslist.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got a pair of RM Williams Riggers and couldn't be happier.....great price too AUD$290 down from AUD$360 (special is still available)...thats a steal for RM Williams.

350x700px-LL-692d54ab_rmwilliams-rigger-profile.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
A pair of MTO SDs will run you around $425 from Bakers. No effing around

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to stop in the White's store, most likely with cash in hand. I'll have to wait for another paycheck or two, but it wil happen. It's also my birthday coming up, so instead of being bashful, might as well ask everyone for a gift card to White's. I think that's the most logical route, as I can get sized in the store. I'll probably get two pairs as one isn't enough!
(Semi dress and farmer ranchers)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters