Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In a perfect world ...

A week or so ago, this was a cowboy hat of the Thoroughbred brand. I had purchased it new in the late 1970s (I think it was) from a since-defunct Western wear store in Seattle's Pioneer Square district. It hadn't seen much use in, oh, ever, really. I recall a housemate from a long, long time ago adopting it for her work in the backyard garden, but since then it has just collected dust. Whatever possessed me to purchase it in the first place, I'll never know.

IMGP1034.jpg

IMGP1031.jpg

IMGP1030.jpg

So I figured I'd see what I could make of it with these hatter's tools and equipment and materials I've assembled. I took it apart, brushed it within an inch of its life (man, but that closet dust can collect and become one with the felt), soaked it for a day or two in Coleman camp fuel and then, after the fuel evaporated, in water. I was a bit taken aback by how much dye the hat gave up in the cleaning process. My limited experience had me expecting to see more visible dye in the solvent (and water) than I would with a lighter colored hat. I don't know if darker hats typically lose more dye in cleaning, or if it's just that the darker dye is more conspicuous. In either case, the amount this hat body lost seemed excessive, and that, along with a couple of other things (more on that in a bit), had me thinking that perhaps Thoroughbred brand hats aren't the the best available.

It spent something like three full days on the No. 52 block (best purchase I've made in some time, by the way), got ironed and then pounced (which may well have been a waste of time and effort), and lost approximately 1/2 inch of brim. I say approximately 1/2 inch because the actual amount varied due to the hat's edge being quite uneven to start with. I hadn't paid it any never mind before I set to working on this hat, because, well, it's not the sort of thing a person would notice on casual observation. But this thing's edge was so wavy that I can only speculate as to what went wrong at the hat factory, and what sorts of quality-control measures were (or, more accurately, weren't) in place.

The hat got reassembled with a new sweatband (the original sweatband was still intact and not in appreciably worse condition than it was when new, but man, what a stiff, inflexible, uncomfortable thing it was) and a new ribbon and bow made from some vintage ribbon I found on the 'Bay. And I also fashioned a functional wind string from Stretchrite elastic cord (thanks for the tip, Stoney) dyed (quite tediously) with a permanent marker in a color that comes pretty darned close to the ribbon's, and a button made with a small piece of ribbon and a button-making kit purchased from the fabric store. I reused the original liner, after hand washing and ironing it.

My vague aim, when I started on this renovation, was to fedoraize a cowboy hat. What I ended up with is something of a hybrid, a town-and-country kind of lid. I had thought that I'd go with a somewhat narrower brim, but I decided to try a full three inches and see how I liked that. (I could always remove more brim.) Turns out that I like it fine. This is, at heart, a cowboy hat, after all. It's a thick, heavy, Western hat. That it retains some of its original character, as reflected in a quite wide brim (by fedora standards, anyway) seems only right to me.

In a perfect world ...

The ribbon would be maybe a quarter of an inch narrower. (It's 2 1/8 inches, so it's a big 'un.) The wind string button would be 3/8s of an inch in diameter, rather than 1/2. (The half-inch kits were the smallest the fabric store had in stock.) And Stretchrite cord would be produced in an ever-so-slightly narrower gauge. But that the button is a skosh larger than the norm, and the cord a little bit wider, is something of a happy accident, seeing how its size works okay with that wide ribbon and extravagant bow.

Speaking of the bow ... that trailing section is a touch more prominent than it should be, maybe. I was planning to shorten it, but it's kinda growing on me. It appeals in the same sort of way as a '60 Cadillac's tailfin. (I've long preferred the '60 Caddy over the '59.) So I'll leave it as is.

I'm hoping this hat will hold up well to the rigors of regular use, because I quite like the way it looks on me and I expect to wear it often. (I'm right at 6 feet tall in my bare feet and weigh in at 190-something, and I frequently step out in blue jeans, cowboy boots, a decent shirt and a sports coat or waist-length leather jacket, so this hat works well with all of that.) But I'm here to tell you, when you do to a hat what I did to this one, you get a sense of how well it was made. And this hat was not at all well made. Oh, the felt is all fur (100 percent domestic rabbit, I'd be willing to bet), and it actually looks and feels pretty good. But that it gave up so much dye in the cleaning process is an indication of a cheapened-down body-making process. (Let's hope it has lost as much color as it is likely to.) The original sweatband, while made of leather, is about as crummy a leather sweatband as I've ever encountered. And the manner in which it was attached to the body left me scratching my head. A few of the holes made by the sewing machine were large enough to see daylight through (before they were covered again by the replacement sweatband and ribbon, of course). Securing a sweatband to a hat body does not require such measures. It certainly doesn't warrant weakening the felt body by making such large holes in it.

I cleaned another Thoroughbred brand hat some time ago, a light tan OR style thing that looked pretty darned nice, with its tallish, straight-sided crown and widish brim and all. But the felt seemed like cardboard. And it was faded in a spot on the underside of the brim, in a place that apparently got exposed to regular daylight as it was left undisturbed on a rack for months if not years. And there's another Thoroughbred brand cowboy hat here at Chateau Antoine -- a gift from a friend who encourages this hat thing of mine. (There must be literally millions of cowboy hats taking up space in closets -- hats that were bought all those years ago by people like me who now wonder what the hell possessed them to buy 'em in the first place.) It's a very large black hat with a leather band. (Put a couple of engines on it and you could fly it to Wichita.) The plan is to turn it into something akin to the hat featured here. Another friend, who also likes this hat renovating thing, is slated to receive the black hat as a gift. But he has a exceptionally large head (almost a size 8), and I'll have to come up with a block that'll work. (We'll probably make one.) Anyway, the hat is no great shakes. But what the heck, that makes it good for learning material, eh?

Yes, I'll post picture after I retrieve 'em from photobucket.

Yeah, photobucket is giving me fits (for some reason it won't upload the picture I most wish to post), and I'd like to post the images themselves rather than a link to them, but for the life of me I can't seem to make it do that. Alas, I just wasn't made for this digital age. But hey, I can get my calcified old brain around this hat stuff, though.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Photobucket pics are working OK for me. But you might try Imageshack. They don't seem to die off spontaneously.

Like you said, great learning project. Couldn't do more with what you had. I think it looks sharp and the ribbon width is right for it! A little thinner would have been OK too. Re all that dye bleed and other matters, I've begun to really appreciate many of the older vintage and custom-made hats, much more than before.

Looks good and I think you'll get a lot of use out of it!

- Bill

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I love it! I would have maybe done a few things different myself (narrower brim with that ribbon, more curve flanged into the brim) but it's a very interesting hat now. Nice work.

-Dave

Stoney

Practically Family
Fantastic Job Tony

It looks more like a fedora than a cowboy/country hat to me.
I like it and your workmanship looks great as well. Here's to many years of enjoyment with your new (old) lid.

Quite nicely done

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, dinerman. I just copied from your post and went back to mine and pasted 'em in.

Yeah, David, I'm not entirely happy with it. It's not quite perfect, but then, it's close enough. I agree, a little less brim would be okay, and a bit more curl might be in order, although it does take on more curl when it's atop my shiny head. I flanged that brim, but it seems that these heavy Western felts take a bit more persuading than a dress weight typically does. Nothing stopping me from doing it again, I suppose.

Which reminds me -- I have several flanges with a bit of wood carved out to accommodate the bow. This alteration (the carving isn't exactly elegant) was apparently done after the flanges left their place of manufacture. It in no way makes the flanges less usable (indeed, it accomplishes just the opposite) because the little bit of removed material isn't on the working face. Question is, anybody else got flanges like this? It seems like it just makes sense to be able to flange a brim on a piece of equipment of the right size for the hat, yet not have to remove the ribbon and bow.

And to thunder and woodfluter and Stoney, thanks as always for the kind words. I wouldn't claim that the workmanship on this thing rises to truly professional levels, but I can say that my skills are improving with practice. The stitches on the ribbon and bow, for instance, are executed in such a way that you have to take a very close look to see them. It's quite a bit more work to do it this way (on the bow, for instance, the needle never penetrates the outer layer of material), but to my eye it makes a big difference. It's the part that shows, after all.

I was at the local hat shop a coupla-three weeks ago, where the shelves and tables were piled high with straws, mostly inexpensive ones. I in no way mean to impugn the shop or its suppliers by stating the following -- the finish work on most of those cheap hats is shoddy at best. It has to be, I suppose, to make the price point the retailer is looking for. These days,you just aren't going to have enough higher-end hat shoppers to keep the cash register ringing. But man, talk about some junk! The ribbons and bows are often crooked and the cloth sweatbands on many of them are hardly deserving of the name. Seriously, some of them are nothing more than a thin strip of cloth crudely sewn in. If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that those cheapo hat bodies are trimmed out in sweatshops a matter of minutes, if not seconds.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just caught up to this thread. Great work, tonyb! :eusa_clap It's fascinating to read the exploits of Loungers who plunge in and do their own renovations. You've definitely given this lid new life! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

J.B.

Practically Family
Nice job, tonyb!! :)

Terrific color combination! IMO the brown is still a very rich-looking color in spite of any dye run-off?!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
TonyB, that's a fine hat you made yourself. I'd be more than proud if I were you. Sure, you know every single inadequacy of that hat you took apart and put back together but, looking at the pictures, it's a highly individual hat, and you made it, ever so important! The more I see them, the more I want a wind trolley on one of my hats...
In a way, the hat brings back memories of that film "Malcolm X", where, in his "youngster" days, you have these (pardon my lack of correct nomenclature) decked-out dudes, wearing the most incredible suits...and hats.
Seriously: congratulations!
Paul

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
Great hat. Crossover country-fedora-cowboy style. I like it.
The wider ribbon and large bow make a bold statement and the slightly larger button complements it perfectly IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner