In Search Of: The Great Hot Dog Stand

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by John in Covina, May 30, 2010.

1. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

There's a guy outside one of our local Menard's stores that has a set-up wagon. His dogs are about $6.00, but very good. Big, thick, and with plenty of toppings. We try to give him business when we get out there.

And Japadog has a Wikipedia page!

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I knew he was famous BUT NOT that famous!

Frunobulax likes this.
  3. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

Russel Yann aka "the hotdog nazi" operates Yann's in Fairmont, WV where it's all about the sauce. And for gods sake don't call it chili, and don't EVER ask for ketchup. You either love this place or hate it. Either way don't much matter to Russel. Open Tue thru Fri, generally 8:30am til 1:30pm or so, or until they run out of hotdogs.

seres and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  4. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

A local gyros joint also hawk Vienna Beef dogs and thick cut fries.
    Stand alone dog stands are street scarce here in Chicago, there is a stand at O'Hare Airport,
    Terminal 2, where my dad fed my kid brother and I once, many years ago. Still there.:)
    Las Vegas airport has a Chicago dogs stand, a favorite stop, arriving and leaving.
    The last full-blooded hot dog storefront along 95th Street folded due to competition.
    Location counts, but the ubiquitous pizza and chicken and burger places seemingly drown
    out any and all barking.:(

5. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

Mr Gene's Dog House in Cincinnati. Kind of a hole in the wall place with a great variety of dogs. Their Chicago Dog is my favorite. The lady inside calls me Sugga, that alone is worth the trip!
    upload_2021-1-15_15-6-25.jpeg

Harp and Frunobulax like this.
  6. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Ditto that.
    I live in Morgantown. Have had a few bags of Yann’s dogs. It’s all about the sauce for sure!! And, lol, it’s mustard or you’re thrown out.
    B

Harp and seres like this.
  7. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Downtown Stratford, Ontario, had a well-known stand in the summer, Mr. Dog, a literal cart with an umbrella and a garbage can. Set up just outside the Memorial to the Perth Regiment.

Sadly, there was a bidding war over the license to operate food stands, and somehow he missed his claim one year. Simply disappeared, no replacement stand.

Local bureaucracy. Bu-crapracy more like...

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Tomorrow is shopping day. My wife asked if we should eat before we go or wait. It twigged the thought......I have not had a Costco hot dog in ages......I now have my breakfast planned for tomorrow morning.....in my world Costco is a great hot dog stand.

Harp and Frunobulax like this.
  9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I'll have to pile the wife and the dog in the flivver and go down there when it warms up a bit.

10. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Two colleagues, one Arab and the other Jewish love Costco dogs. I occasionally kid both
    about non-temporal cuisine matters but to no avail. Its all "big ass dog great" kosher.;)

Fading Fast and belfastboy like this.
  11. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

New York has so many examples of real, grass-roots multiculturalism like this (not the false, forced top-down stuff). To wit, I have an Italian friend (2nd generation, so still very Italian) who knows every great hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurants in NYC, a black friend willing to die on the hill defending his favorite bagel shop and I'll jump in and advocate for my favorite Mexican restaurants against all comers. And you don't want to get into an argument with my very WASPy (by background only) girlfriend over the best Thai cuisine in the City.

12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

In Lewiston, Maine -- long a Franco-American enclave -- there are several spots where you can get halal pizza. It's progress.

Fading Fast likes this.
  13. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

I recently visited Le Colonial, a French-Vietnamese house reminiscent of old Saigon and ordered
    Thai beer instead of wine, strictly on the fly and not paying attention to anything but my date,
    idiot that I is, and it was the best brew ever. I called the maître next day, needing label
    info, of course, not knowing the brand. Stuck in first gear but the quest continues with
    my proximate list. I also favor Greek cuisine and Chicago's Greek town near my alma
    is fabulous, however.... Last stop I discovered a millennial spot advertising itself
    as a frat house wasn't Greek at all. Nobody spoke Greek. The Anglo-Saxon menu
    floored me. And I needed souflaki on a stick with a chiiled Domestica, uhhh.
    Hit n' miss but the big city offers a smorgasbord.

Fading Fast likes this.
  14. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi
    A Tornado hit OKC's Mutt's Hot Dogs sometime in 2019, then the 19 put the nails in the coffin. Good, but too uppity (not the best word but...). They had way too many types of dogs, Kosher, pork, alligator, lamb, and .... Pink's in LA has far fewer types, but lots of toppings and guess who's still open.
    Later

Harp likes this.
  15. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

B96B996D-E92C-4214-A3A6-D0510062B05C.jpeg
    http://www.waltershotdogs.com/ In westchester county north of New York City since 1919.
    Walter's Hot Dogs is a Westchester institution and nationally registered historical landmark, serving our world-famous hot dog since 1919. An exclusive blend of beef, pork and veal, Walter's hot dogs are split down the middle, grilled in a "secret sauce," and served on a toasted bun with Walter's signature mustard: a blend of choice mustard seeds, relish and spices.
    The building itself was established in 1928 on Palmer Avenue in Mamaroneck, New York and is a copper-roofed Chinese pagoda that has been drawing long lines and loyal patrons ever since

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Frunobulax likes this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

"They insisted upon themselves."

17. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Went to OKC Law but never visited Mutt's.
    Good handle, moniker hawks dog trust-invaluable asset, but "uppity?"
    Dog variety is simple Chicago south side: Vienna Chicago Beef dogs, Armour, and Nathans for kosher.
    And, last but not least. Ain't no place in OKC that's uppity ceptin the strip clubs near airport.
    They got girls there can raise the dead. So I hear.