Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

<<< Incoming Good Wear Hercules >>>

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It’s only appropriate, that this jacket be passed on from one pony tail wearer to another :rolleyes:.

A big thanks to @jonesy86 for reaching out to me. I’ve been on the look out for a Good Wear Hercules and knew I’d never get one made to order, so when this one originally came up for sale, I was ecstatic!

Unfortunately I missed out on it when it went up for sale here from @cdallas. Jonesy is just too fast on the draw. Crushed, I made a joke in that thread about getting first dibs if Jonsey ever wanted to sell …. and low and behold, he must've taken my not so innocent remark to heart because he reached out to me to ask if I was still interested …. Hell YA!!!

I just received it today and I could not be more pleased. Here are the specs borrowed from @cdallas original incoming thread:

1. Size 44
  2. Horween black Mustang horsehide
  3. cotton plaid lining
  4. Rayon sleeve with no inner cuffs
  5. vintage 1939 Talon slider
  6. vintage Talon chest zipper pull
  7. vintage WWII side buckles
I guess this was a test jacket that John Chapman made in 2018.

What I really love is the hide on this jacket. It has a lighter hand than my Himel oil tanned shinki, and is more supple, but it’s is still quite substantial, if that makes any sense. It has such a cool vintage vibe. I can tell it will be easier to wear (probably from all that the tropical heat).

Anyway, here are some crappy fit pictures and some borrowed from David.

He wasn’t kidding when in his message to me when he said he clean off the sand from the beach and ship it to me … he missed some in the cuff lol.

I feel privileged to own this jacket David, many thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• 17C5E876-D303-4476-9726-DF417E0B33A1.jpeg
    17C5E876-D303-4476-9726-DF417E0B33A1.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 68AD0667-0FC4-4862-A8F4-353F29A6EF94.jpeg
    68AD0667-0FC4-4862-A8F4-353F29A6EF94.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 2683F392-DD21-4126-BDF6-156D298859CA.jpeg
    2683F392-DD21-4126-BDF6-156D298859CA.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 193
  • 61E79366-D772-4B32-970D-2E7E11A262F2.jpeg
    61E79366-D772-4B32-970D-2E7E11A262F2.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 796F38F9-6D67-492B-80A9-A2BC7CBAF170.jpeg
    796F38F9-6D67-492B-80A9-A2BC7CBAF170.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 190
  • C30263F8-B264-44FD-B7B5-188A7FBB13C8.jpeg
    C30263F8-B264-44FD-B7B5-188A7FBB13C8.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 203

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Perfect! What a stunning piece! I am especially glad how this turned out after your not-so-optimal experience with the FW Mulholland.
Thank you Tom:) Although it’s quite a different jacket than the Mulholland, it really works well for me!

I’ve put a deposit down on a David Sheeley Mulholland that he’s working on now Based on his egewater pattern. This will let me customize the fit that you can’t get from FW. We will see how it turns out, but I have every confidence in him.

Now I just have to decide what to do with my Himel Imperial …

Brandrea33

One Too Many
The Herc is a much more forgiving jacket in design than the Mulholland. Looks perfect in execution and fit.
Thanks for that. I’m still learning a lot about what works and what doesn’t. I’ve had a few expensive lesson’s lol.

This is my very first second hand jacket and luckily, it just fits like a glove! Dumb luck I guess.

Also, what’s really weird, is that this Herc measures smaller P to P than my Imperial and yet the Herc is more roomy … how does that work?

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Thanks for that. I’m still learning a lot about what works and what doesn’t. I’ve had a few expensive lesson’s lol.

This is my very first second hand jacket and luckily, it just fits like a glove! Dumb luck I guess.

Also, what’s really weird, is that this Herc measures smaller P to P than my Imperial and yet the Herc is more roomy … how does that work?
Patterns are a curious thing. My vintage Penneys is my smallest jacket in measurements, but has the best movement of all my jackets. VIntage patternmakers or those who have handled a lot of vintage jackets usually get it right IMO.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Patterns are a curious thing. My vintage Penneys is my smallest jacket in measurements, but has the best movement of all my jackets. VIntage patternmakers or those who have handled a lot of vintage jackets usually get it right IMO.
Good to know! Sort of makes it difficult a newbie like me to get the sizing right, but I feel I’m getting closer to learning what works through trial and error.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Good to know! Sort of makes it difficult a newbie like me to get the sizing right, but I feel I’m getting closer to learning what works through trial and error.
Always a lot tougher when you dabble in the upper echelon of jackets. Your style would lend itself to a lot of vintage jackets as well and that's a lot less risky financially and you can have fun trying different styles.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Pair of aces you got there. I'd keep both. Really great jackets and fit you well. Something about GW jackets it just feels quite special every time.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Pair of aces you got there. I'd keep both. Really great jackets and fit you well. Something about GW jackets it just feels quite special every time.
Thank you … I’m going to mull it over a while before I decide for sure. I really like half belt style jackets in general.

I’m really interested in adding an Cossack jacket … maybe a Thedi or a Himel.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you Tom:) Although it’s quite a different jacket than the Mulholland, it really works well for me!

I’ve put a deposit down on a David Sheeley Mulholland that he’s working on now Based on his egewater pattern. This will let me customize the fit that you can’t get from FW. We will see how it turns out, but I have every confidence in him.

Now I just have to decide what to do with my Himel Imperial …

@Maverickson does great work, you can't go wromg with him :D

Brandrea33

One Too Many
@Maverickson does great work, you can't go wromg with him :D
He‘s so great to talk to, really knowledgeable and was able to explain things in laymen’s terms. He must’ve spent a couple of hours (in total) talking to me about Monarch jackets, his sleeve gussets, pattern types, leather, linings, stitching, zippers …. you name it. I was really impressed with how much detail he shared with me and can’t wait for the jacket.

It looks like it’ll be sometime in the late fall:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana