Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incredibly cool find

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
Winston Churchill!
churchill.jpg

Another celebrated homberg wearer was the Big Fella, Michael Collins:

michael-collins-1-sized.jpg

In all likelihood, they both arrived at the 1921 negotiations which led to the Anglo-Irish Treaty (aka Mick's death warrant) on 6 Decmber that year - at 2.10am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo_Irish_Treaty

Both charismatic men and astute politicians; Churchill being much more fortunate in terms of lifespan.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Winston was a great bullet dodger. He commented once that there is nothing quite as exhilirating as being shot at without effect. Fascinating subject, the relationship between him and Michael Collins. Collins is a VERY poignant character. And he does look cool in his chapeau. (Why is that word NEVER used here in the Lounge?)

ideaguy

One Too Many
This is the Lounge at it's quirky best-history,education,laughs,good people
simply enjoying life thoroughly. Thank you, M. Key, and thanks, folks.
ps-hat's great!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ideaguy said:
This is the Lounge at it's quirky best-history,education,laughs,good people
simply enjoying life thoroughly.
Yes, it's not just anywhere you can find 1 and 2 commingling so happily with 3 and 4.

I think it's because we don't attract all that many dry, arcane spirits. This place can be pretty intense, and pretty diverse, too.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More pix

You can't tell in this pic, but it says "Shinn Clothing Co, Farmer's Bank Bldg, Ashland, Ohio":
ShinnClothingCo.jpg

The lining:
Insidelining.jpg

And the piece de resistance, the tix!
2tix.jpg

They're torn, so they did indeed see the movie. How did those tickets manage to hide themselves in the ribbon for 70 years???!!!
Historical note: They are old fashioned paste tickets, with assigned seats and date, like a regular stage theater.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The last piece of the puzzle

Found a shot of the Madison Theater. Here it is, next to the Mansfield Memorial Bldg. The marquee was apparently saved, and is now on the Renaissance Theater in Mansfield.
MadisonTheater.jpg

surely

A-List Customer
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Beautiful ending. btw I have a stetson special with the no. 194 over LOT 7553! Small world eh?

Edward

Bartender
Edward said:
Another celebrated homberg wearer was the Big Fella, Michael Collins:

michael-collins-1-sized.jpg

In all likelihood, they both arrived at the 1921 negotiations which led to the Anglo-Irish Treaty (aka Mick's death warrant) on 6 December that year - at 2.10am wearing very similar headgear. A small element of commonality across the table!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo_Irish_Treaty

Both charismatic men and astute politicians; Churchill being much more fortunate in terms of lifespan.

Incomplete thought edited above in bold...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've bashed it a la Michael Collins. I'm not sure when or where I'll be wearing it, but it certainly gives it a whole new feeling to the hat. BTW, the magic didn't work. I will NOT be playing Mayor Shinn this spring. Oh, well, that's show biz!

Feraud

Bartender
I had a chance to see this homburg in person last Saturday at the Montauk Club. It is a fine looking lid and resides in good hands.
Here is the man himself sporting the homburg.
DSC04779-1.jpg

Wow, there's more than a couple of those Stetson Specials among our collections, including my dark blue one, which has a $5 original tag hiding under its sweatband.

I believe they were "special" in the same way that the blue-plate special is special, meaning a relatively low price for what you get. Nothing lacking in the quality, I'd say. Your story, dhermann1, only further confirms my suspicion that they were made mostly during the Depression, when the difference between five bucks and six could well determine whether or not the product sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points