Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Or it might inspire them to appear in the movies themselves. A la, Spielberg in The Blues Brothers. Nobody needs that, but does Disney care at this point? But, then, would they even be recognized? :rolleyes:

It's plain ridiculous, if it absolutely HAS to happen.
6KaR6o1.jpg

"Pardon me, Dr. Jones, may we speak with you?"

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And, see, the ark that they used as a "prop" in the original Raiders movie actually came from a gigantic government warehouse. When strange things start happening on the set during filming ---and when aging nazis show up to reclaim the ark--- 80 year old Indy has to jump into action! And because it is 1981, Harrison is wearing a polo shirt with a popped collar, straight leg jeans, a pair of top siders, and a sweater tied around his neck.

And, see, the ark that they used as a "prop" in the original Raiders movie actually came from a gigantic government warehouse. When strange things start happening on the set during filming ---and when aging nazis show up to reclaim the ark--- 80 year old Indy has to jump into action! And because it is 1981, Harrison is wearing a polo shirt with a popped collar, straight leg jeans, a pair of top siders, and a sweater tied around his neck.
Or worse...

xKILbgo.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
... And because it is 1981, Harrison is wearing a polo shirt with a popped collar, straight leg jeans, a pair of top siders, and a sweater tied around his neck.
Would that be so bad?? He would be wearing a trucker hat, t-shirt with different coloured sleeves, painted-on jeans, and dirty white sneakers...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Just an observation . . .

Up through the 1970s, but still BIJ (before Indiana Jones), there were still TV and movie characters wearing the occasional fedora on screen as a normal part of their wardrobe, and no one though anything of it.

But AIJ, the whole zeitgeist of hat wearing changed. Anything on a man's head with a brim, excluding Westerns, were almost universally identified as, or compared with, or both, the hat of IJ. And, as pointed out in many places, it still goes on. For many many people, the brown fedora of IJ is the first thought that pops into their heads when they think of a man's hat, or see one, any one, as well.

So, how does this figure into Indy 5? Well, the film will have to butt up against existentialism, breaking the space/time continuum, if the setting is any time after AIJ, or 1981, when the first movie was released. The film was so huge, so iconic, that it will be tough to deny its existence within the film, especially if IJ is still wearing his iconic outfit.

I can just see him going through his paces, in costume, when someone stops him and says, 'Hey, who you supposed to be, Indiana Jones?' His response could be handled in a number of ways, all of them probably hilarious . . . well, for a fan, anyway.

Do I think the movie will be set that late in time? No, skipping over the '60s and '70s is not a good idea for a bunch of other reasons, as well. I just wanted to have fun with the concept of reality and fantasy occupying the same space.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Here is one idea. What I like is that the author is taking the prospect of Indiana Jones 5 seriously, and is not getting snarky about Harrison's age...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshwe...a-jones-search-for-next-the-answer-is-simple/
Not the worst idea I've heard.

...I just wanted to have fun with the concept of reality and fantasy occupying the same space.
I think you've just established the premise for Indiana Jones VI. "It's now the late 1970s. Indy is approached by a young writer/director who wants to make a movie called 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' based on one of Indy's adventures and wants Indy to act as a consultant to make sure they get it right. Indy accepts, and..." I would love to see Disney and Spielberg have the guts to try to pull that off!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Not the worst idea I've heard.

I think you've just established the premise for Indiana Jones VI. "It's now the late 1970s. Indy is approached by a young writer/director who wants to make a movie called 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' based on one of Indy's adventures and wants Indy to act as a consultant to make sure they get it right. Indy accepts, and..." I would love to see Disney and Spielberg have the guts to try to pull that off!

Ya know, that's not that far out there. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I can't see there being room for Indy in a modern world. Glib superhero films have taken over the action space. Nazis and native tribes are inappropriate subjects for entertainment.

Raiders was set in 1936 which was 45 years before the film was made. By now it would be 1974 - if we accept that 38 years has gone by in Indy's life since 1936. Not a lot of golden era magic to be had in 1974. Of course they would probably give Ford 10 years grace and set it in '64.

The last thing I would want to see is yet another sequel rehashing the elements of Raiders without the skill of Raiders. Having an archaeologist running after an occult treasure is pretty lame in the post Hellboy, Laura Croft, National Treasure era.

For me, much as I love Raiders, the magic of that film was that it was made 38 years ago. We forget just how good the script was and how technically accomplished the film was compared, for instance, to the tired, camp and kitsch era of Bond films, where Roger Moore's secret agent never got hurt and nothing was ever really at stake. Raiders had a vitality and snap that rewrote action film rules.

The only reason they would set an Indy film in the 1960's or 1970's is to deal with the fact of Ford's aging. But Indy is a golden era dream. Bringing the character closer to the present robs the entire premise of magic. As Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again."

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I read all of that article, taking it seriously until I saw at the end that the Solo scriptwriter is working on this. Nothing good can come from that. I'd rather sit through that lala land rubbish again than Solo, the worst film since Phantom Menace.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The only reason they would set an Indy film in the 1960's or 1970's is to deal with the fact of Ford's aging. But Indy is a golden era dream. Bringing the character closer to the present robs the entire premise of magic. As Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again."

But you can read the Rob MacGregor novels and that's almost better than watching a movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112