Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Edward

Bartender
Maybe we'll give it a little more time before we discuss details so as not to spoil anything for anyone who still hasn't seen it yet!

Indy-related, but Disney is releasing merchandise of their own, specifically replicas of the treasures from the movies.

I already own an idol replica and a Staff of Ra headpiece, so not in the market for those. Also, the Grail looks a tad shoddy for my taste, and the crystal skull is not only expensive ($250) but I have nowhere to put such a monstrosity in my house.

Honestly though, I do like that Sankara stone- one that lights up, but only when you pick it up? I'd buy one, but as I cannot find one anywhere I believe they're out of stock!

Interesting stuff.... Yes, I'd love a collection of these sorts of bits. The more mass-produced bits there are the better - makes it more likely to get something decent affordably. I've seen some fairly decent 3D print renderings of the Raiders idol, but Sankara stones seem much rarer (I suppose Temple was less popular?). Nice trick with the lighting up as well.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Another option: Start the spin off process with films or episodics focusing on the other characters.
In the same way they have done with Star Wars, let's see the Mandalorian and Boba Fet of the Indiana Jones franchise.
Honestly, the one character from any of the films whom I would love to see in his own adventure is Captain Katanga. He and his crew have always fascinated me.

A reboot starting with Indy's apprenticeship to Ravenwood and romance with Marion could work for me, and Marion's adventures in Nepal has always seemed rife with potential as well. As much as I loved her in Raiders, her character never did quite live up to those first scenes or the "I'm your ******* partner" line.

Edward

Bartender
Another option: Start the spin off process with films or episodics focusing on the other characters.
In the same way they have done with Star Wars, let's see the Mandalorian and Boba Fet of the Indiana Jones franchise.

This has been much discussed, particularly around Helena / Wombat. I'd enjoy that - I really liked her character. Plenty of options for her to fight Nazis and neonazis still too (though with care it didn't become too similar to Prime's Hunters).

I'd also like to see something on Toby Jones' character. It could be fun to see him bumbling around in adventures and somehow always lucking out - while feared by his enemies who are only aware of his reputation as a sidekick to the famous Indiana Jones.

Honestly, the one character from any of the films whom I would love to see in his own adventure is Captain Katanga. He and his crew have always fascinated me.

A reboot starting with Indy's apprenticeship to Ravenwood and romance with Marion could work for me, and Marion's adventures in Nepal has always seemed rife with potential as well. As much as I loved her in Raiders, her character never did quite live up to those first scenes or the "I'm your ******* partner" line.

Marion would be a really interesting character to build a story around, yes - not only her adventures in Nepal, but also her post-Indy life. In the canon timeline, he presumably walks out on her at some point between 1936 (Raiders) and 1938 (Crusade). There's a lot of trouble she could get into between then and 1957. And who's to say she didn't do a little spying / get drawn into the war because Nazis going after Jones thought they could get to him through her?

The adult Indy, were they to reboot him, I think would be best started off with Abner as Indy the PhD student. That way there's loads of time to build the character up so he's really well established being played by someone else by the time he ages up to match Ford in 1980. I don't recall anyone ever objecting to casting Indy with another actor when they were doing kid-Indy that Ford clearly couldn't pull off.

Speaking of which, Young Indiana Jones could clearly stand a reboot these days - good way, from a business pov, of broadening the franchise interest to a new generation.

Eventually, if they got it right, I'd love to see a TV show of Indy's wartime adventures - even if it was completely animated, a la that Resident Evil series of a while back which was so realistic, it took me a whole episode to be certain that it was animated and not live action.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
This has been much discussed, particularly around Helena / Wombat. I'd enjoy that - I really liked her character. Plenty of options for her to fight Nazis and neonazis still too (though with care it didn't become too similar to Prime's Hunters).

I'd also like to see something on Toby Jones' character. It could be fun to see him bumbling around in adventures and somehow always lucking out - while feared by his enemies who are only aware of his reputation as a sidekick to the famous Indiana Jones.

Marion would be a really interesting character to build a story around, yes - not only her adventures in Nepal, but also her post-Indy life. In the canon timeline, he presumably walks out on her at some point between 1936 (Raiders) and 1938 (Crusade). There's a lot of trouble she could get into between then and 1957. And who's to say she didn't do a little spying / get drawn into the war because Nazis going after Jones thought they could get to him through her?

The adult Indy, were they to reboot him, I think would be best started off with Abner as Indy the PhD student. That way there's loads of time to build the character up so he's really well established being played by someone else by the time he ages up to match Ford in 1980. I don't recall anyone ever objecting to casting Indy with another actor when they were doing kid-Indy that Ford clearly couldn't pull off.

Speaking of which, Young Indiana Jones could clearly stand a reboot these days - good way, from a business pov, of broadening the franchise interest to a new generation.

Eventually, if they got it right, I'd love to see a TV show of Indy's wartime adventures - even if it was completely animated, a la that Resident Evil series of a while back which was so realistic, it took me a whole episode to be certain that it was animated and not live action.
All very good ideas. Marion post Raiders is obviously a single/married mom. If they could make an adventure out of that, I would check it out.

I didn’t particularly resonate with Helena. I didn’t buy that actress as an action star, though I VERY much enjoyed her Fleabag (she was incredibly engaging in that). To my eyes, she came off as a bit too goofy footed and awkward in her action scenes in Dial.

Her sidekick was infinitely watchable. That kid has charisma.

I absolutely agree that Indy as a PhD student under Abner is the place to begin a reboot. I just don’t believe that Disney is going to spend money on a a white male hero except to say goodbye to him. Not to get into a criticism of Disney (I don’t think this forum is the place for that), but the reality is that in every franchise they own they seem reticent to go down that road. Dial’s disappointing box office showing can not have done much to bolster their belief that it is a road worth traveling.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

The main danger with this idea, imho, are the nods to earlier films, which in itself is not a problem, except when they nod in the wrong direction.

Example: in ToD, when he goes for his gun in his empty holster, his facial expression is a nod to something that didn't happen yet in the timeline because that same incident in Raiders happened a year later. Didn't make sense, except for maybe cuteness.

Edward

Bartender
All very good ideas. Marion post Raiders is obviously a single/married mom. If they could make an adventure out of that, I would check it out.

I didn’t particularly resonate with Helena. I didn’t buy that actress as an action star, though I VERY much enjoyed her Fleabag (she was incredibly engaging in that). To my eyes, she came off as a bit too goofy footed and awkward in her action scenes in Dial.

Her sidekick was infinitely watchable. That kid has charisma.

I absolutely agree that Indy as a PhD student under Abner is the place to begin a reboot. I just don’t believe that Disney is going to spend money on a a white male hero except to say goodbye to him. Not to get into a criticism of Disney (I don’t think this forum is the place for that), but the reality is that in every franchise they own they seem reticent to go down that road. Dial’s disappointing box office showing can not have done much to bolster their belief that it is a road worth traveling.

The kid was a surprise. I was worried when I saw there was to be a kid in this film, but actually the character worked very well on several levels - won't go into detail here yet because spoilers, but...

Edward

Bartender

I think that could help open up a lot of opportunities - Mutt could easily be off at one of the fancy boarding schools she sent him to in Switzerland (per mentions in Skull). Course, he could also - without necessarily needing to appear - serve as a useful plot device explaining her being in Europe already should that be needed for a story.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The main danger with this idea, imho, are the nods to earlier films, which in itself is not a problem, except when they nod in the wrong direction.

Example: in ToD, when he goes for his gun in his empty holster, his facial expression is a nod to something that didn't happen yet in the timeline because that same incident in Raiders happened a year later. Didn't make sense, except for maybe cuteness.
Indiana Jones was never a franchise in which I sought continuity. In fact, I felt bringing back Marion in Crystal Skull was a mistake exactly because it opened up the issue of continuity.

Part of the charm of the first three is exactly that they lack a continuous thread. What happened to Marion? Was Temple supposed to be a sequel or a prequel? But then what happened to Short Round? Not only that, but the teenage Indy we meet at the beginning of Crusade is quite a different character from the one we meet in Young Indiana Jones.

And the magic is that the unanswered questions are themselves charming. When it comes to Han Solo, I don’t want to see the Kessel Run for crying out loud. I want it to exist in shadow and fog because that is part of the spell.

So having Temple give a nod to Raiders was never an issue for me, because I really didn’t bother trying to sort out which one came first.

But probably mine is an unpopular opinion.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Indiana Jones was never a franchise in which I sought continuity. In fact, I felt bringing back Marion in Crystal Skull was a mistake exactly because it opened up the issue of continuity.

Part of the charm of the first three is exactly that they lack a continuous thread. What happened to Marion? Was Temple supposed to be a sequel or a prequel? But then what happened to Short Round? Not only that, but the teenage Indy we meet at the beginning of Crusade is quite a different character from the one we meet in Young Indiana Jones.

And the magic is that the unanswered questions are themselves charming.

So having Temple give a nod to Raiders was never an issue for me, because I really didn’t bother trying to sort out which one came first.

Thank you for posting this!

...And the magic is that the unanswered questions are themselves charming. When it comes to Han Solo, I don’t want to see the Kessel Run for crying out loud. I want it to exist in shadow and fog because that is part of the spell...

Maybe on this forum. Or maybe not. I happen to agree with you though--leave the characters' histories enigmatic and somewhat vague. The representation of the Kessel Run in "Solo" should have been exciting and had people on the edges of their seats; instead it was pathetic and boring.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The representation of the Kessel Run in "Solo" should have been exciting and had people on the edges of their seats; instead it was pathetic and boring.
I don’t disagree at all, but I am very interested in remaining as positive as I can be on this forum.

So here is a photo of Raiders on the big screen. Boy it was good to see it in the cinema again - I waited specifically just to get this shot. I hope they’ll re-release the others.

69E3F889-3762-4DE1-B4F2-5AA7BAC13BBC.jpeg

Last edited:

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
All I can think of when Indy spin-offs are mentioned are sitcoms starring the supporting characters.

Can you picture Sallah, the best digger in Egypt getting into shenanigans with his nine kids and his wife Fayah? (They could call it Nine Is Enough, and every episode has Sallah singing various Broadway showtunes.)

Or Willie Scott's constant misadventures in showbiz dealing with her idiot boss Lao Che and his goofball sons with no sense of humor whatsoever? Constant misunderstandings behind the curtain lead to endless hilarity.

We can follow Henry Jones Senior and Marcus Brody as they either are roommates in college or living together after the events of Last Crusade like The Odd Couple.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Except don’t the cinemas keep something like half of the sales from tickets globally (40% in the US but 60-80% in other countries)? If that’s true, then DoD still has a long way to go before Disney recovers its investment.
I seem to remember reading about that too, in the past. Many movies are profitable down the road, but I suspect the rich people who run Hollywood want the quick return, like investors everywhere really. I also heard that when a movie is done they shut down the production company which was formed for that single film, file it away, and aren't interested in anything long-term with it. I wonder if the "summer blockbuster" isn't a a thing anymore and although people love watching movies they are doing other things in summer now than going to cinemas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner