Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Edward

Bartender
I remember for many years Disney refused to play ball with home video; in retrospect, it reminds me of the music industry missing the bus on the internet, then scrabbling to catch up.

Pretty much since Walt died in 1966. The whole thing was his "vision" and it seems he was the only person who saw it clearly. I'm not saying he or his vision was flawless, but someone has to be Captain of the ship and almost everyone at that helm since Walt has run the corporation into the Matterhorn.

Walt did seem to have some sort of idealised vision as to what Disney was about beyond simply turning a profit. The latter seems to be the driving force now. I think they've sunk to a real nadir now every other film is a retconning of some of their greatest villains, turning them into poor, misunderstood children that really aren't all bad. Such a tragedy to take something as great as Cruella Deville and destroy her like that!

That's my greatest fear with this upcoming Indy movie. I just know it's going to be a pandering nostalgia fest trying to cultivate all the '80s kids without recreating any of the magic that actually made Indy, "Indy." The character that is Indiana Jones has always been two things to me: intelligent and tough. He's not a wise-cracking action hero, he's a hard-nosed university professor who does what's necessary even if it's not what's right.

For me, a big part of the issue is going to be how they cast the inevitable 'New Indy'. If it's a Daniel Craig, game on. If, however, they go Lazenby / Moore.... nope, they don't get it.

The only reason these are happening is purely for the petty reason of preventing the material from returning to public domain.

I think it may be more than that in this case if they see Jones as a more profitable franchise, but they've certainly done this before. Just one example is the 1987 quasi-remake they did of the Love Bug, with Bruce Campbell in the lead. I'd love to see that one(!) - big BC fan - but I don't think Disney admit to it any longer.

Disney are notorious for taking any culture's fairy stories, making significant changes to the plot or giving generic characters names and roles, specifically so they can then copyright that traditional story for their own ends. It would be interesting to see a chart against the copyright positions of things like 101 Dalmations running out against the timing of the new Cruella Deville picture.

This chart is indicative of the power of Disney as a lobbying force in Congress:

Mickey-Mouse-Curve-1-e1451928012325.png

MikeKardec

One Too Many
If James Mangold is, and remains, the director of Indy V I will cautiously remain optimistic. He's an excellent choice provided there is a decent script and seems unlikely to take on the job without having some hope that the writing will be acceptable. Mangold and I went to film school together and shared the same faculty mentor (Alexander MacKendrick) for a couple of years.

I didn't know Mangold other than to say "hello" to but he was a talented student and he got along well with "Sandy" MacKendrick ... and that's saying a LOT. Irascible would be a good word to describe MacKendrick. Also brilliant, frustrating, an amazing teacher and some other, fouler, epithets. MacKendrick had been a superb film maker but became an even BETTER teacher, regardless of his personality. Anyway, Sandy had less patience with less intelligent/talented/dedicated students like myself.

Other members of the Disney team scare me ... badly. But this could be good news.

Hearing rumors that Indy V will be jumping back and forth between 1945 and 1967. Unconfirmed.
Take a look at the photo in post #466 above. The dots on Ford's face and jacket are, allegedly, used to properly position a de-aged Indy head and shoulders (using whatever the hell they use to do that) onto Ford, so it won't surprise me if this turns out to be true. That said, the more I hear about Indy V, the more it sounds like it'll be a complete train wreck.

Edward

Bartender
Take a look at the photo in post #466 above. The dots on Ford's face and jacket are, allegedly, used to properly position a de-aged Indy head and shoulders (using whatever the hell they use to do that) onto Ford, so it won't surprise me if this turns out to be true. That said, the more I hear about Indy V, the more it sounds like it'll be a complete train wreck.

Seems likely they'll use the same technique as was applied to DeNiro et al in The Irishman. It would make sense if they want to do a time-jump by de-aging the same actor. As I recall, Watchmen cast actors much younger than they were plying for much of their on-screen time because at that point it was relatively straightforward to age someone up with prosthetics, but much harder to take them younger. This latest CGI seems to have come a long way with the former.

The interesting aspect here is that it clearly shows we're not going to see them use the flash-back technology to introduce a new actor in Ford's place. We'll see how it goes... If Skull was the Prequels of Indy, V may well be his Last Jedi - some will love it, some will hate it, some will even honestly hate it as opposed to hating it on principle!

I increasingly think the next Indy will be a streaming show, though with Disney Plus' business model, I doubt I'll ever see it.

Good pick up. I would have just thought they were liver spots.

Seems likely they'll use the same technique as was applied to DeNiro et al in The Irishman. It would make sense if they want to do a time-jump by de-aging the same actor...
I liked The Irishman, but didn't find their de-aging process/technique to be completely convincing. Still, it wasn't so bad as to be a distraction. I realize the technology is still a work in progress, so I give them credit for the attempt.

...The interesting aspect here is that it clearly shows we're not going to see them use the flash-back technology to introduce a new actor in Ford's place. We'll see how it goes...
I'm gonna' wait until after I've seen the movie before coming to that conclusion because at this point they have any number of ways they can screw up the franchise and no one at Disney seems to understand the Indiana Jones phenomenon (or Star Wars for that matter).

...I increasingly think the next Indy will be a streaming show, though with Disney Plus' business model, I doubt I'll ever see it.
You're probably right, and same here. My experience with Netflix has shown that "streaming" is still a very flawed technology and I'm dead certain that Disney isn't going to fix it.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

A train wreck inside a plane crashing onto the stern deck of the Titanic at the moment it breaks in two...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko