Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Indiana Jones T.V. Series is in the works.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/indiana-jones-series-disney-plus-1235416179/

A younger me would have welcomed the idea with open arms. The current me is having a hard time getting excited by anything on T.V., and Disney Plus is doing a particularly uninspiring job.

But then again, maybe anything in the 1930s with a Fedora and a whip is better than nothing. Still waiting for that Tales of the Gold Monkey reboot that was briefly talked about some years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBH

Edward

Bartender
Indiana Jones T.V. Series is in the works.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/indiana-jones-series-disney-plus-1235416179/

A younger me would have welcomed the idea with open arms. The current me is having a hard time getting excited by anything on T.V., and Disney Plus is doing a particularly uninspiring job.

But then again, maybe anything in the 1930s with a Fedora and a whip is better than nothing. Still waiting for that Tales of the Gold Monkey reboot that was briefly talked about some years ago.

Interesting. I can't comment on Disney's output because I don't subscribe (and haven't been attracted to to date). If they find a credible stand-in for Ford and put together a great show, I'd buy it on disk. If they try to use it to pull people into their streaming platform and don't let you view it any other way, well, I'm becoming increasingly resistant to that. I've certainly become exponentially less likely to bother with Marvel releases since they started intertwining them all (and ramping that up with the Disney plus tie-ins) so you have to see them all to follow the story. Marvel of course had form for this already: back in the eighties they used to do all sorts of stories the crossed over a whole lot of their titles, so to read the one story, you literally had to buy two or three different titles. That's when I stopped buying the monthlies and left it to picking up graphic novels and collected volumes instead.

Insidious marketing tactics aside, though, there's a lot still to be told with Indy. It is said that Disney's Star Wars elements were carefully plotted as a condition of sale of the property was that they didn't contradict Lucas or cross over the original timeline or remake them. I wonder if the same applies to the Indy stuff. There are plenty of options for prequels that join the dots between Young Indy and Raiders Indy, though personally I'd love to see more of his adventures in 1939-1957. As long as they make them available, that is - I won't be subscribing to Disney plus to see them.

Tiki Tom

Rumblings of unhappiness. Apparently they have been running the Indiana Jones 5 movie by test audiences. They are also testing various endings with these Guinea pigs. Leaks say that none Of these test endings are being judged as satisfying. Apparently one version has Indy dying; another has him handing the whip to Phoebe Waller Bridge. In short, Disney is worried about the project.

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/11/disney-panic-after-indiana-jones-5-flops-ab1/

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/11/cuupgex28vpeti3yptdwx7yq4ybrku

I really really want this movie to work on every level. However, I’m also aware of everything that could go wrong. There’s even talk of it going straight to streaming.

RBH

Bartender
Mr Ford still looks the part...
Rn5Gcy.jpg

From the Daily Express

''Overlord DVD claimed: “I was contacted by someone on the set of Indiana Jones 5 who was alarmed and revolted by what they read in the script.”

Allegedly the storyline begins in the 1960s with Indiana Jones and his goddaughter Helena, played by Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Apparently, they go back in time via a portal at Stonehenge to both the Roman era (as seen in set photos) and to the 1930s during the time of the original films.

There old Indy meets young Indy and in one of six different endings both are killed off before Phoebe takes up the hat and whip as a female incarnation of the character – or at least one who takes up the mantle as a sort of Lara Croft''

Edward

Bartender
I've really been hoping they wouldn't try to stuff timetravel in there. I really hope that's a false rumour...

That aside, though, PW-B as a proto-Lara Croft has a strong appeal. That could actually in some ways be more interesting than rehashing Indy himself, especially if poorly cast (the execrable 'Solo' still in my mind).

The biggest concern is that they're using focus groups at all. Focus groups are the enemy of quality output all too often. Focus groups demanding an insipid, inane "happy ending" were the ruination of Little Shop of Horrors for decades until the proper ending was restored about a dozen years ago. Test audiences are a pestilence.

Addendum: the Director has weighed in, stating that these rumours are bunk. Here's hoping that means no time travel, and no lazy, "happy" ending.

Last edited:
And the evil bad guy is: Voller. Photo in link.

https://www.cbr.com/indiana-jones-5-mads-mikkelsen-first-look-voller/

But they are coy about what the Mcguffin is. (A believable Mcguffin is key, if you ask me.) Apparently one of the big chase/fight scenes will take place during the Apollo 11 ticker tape parade.
Well, that puts Indy in the 1960s in at least one sequence, which I think many fans suspected. I'm just hoping they haven't gone crazy with the "time travel" stuff and have him going to ancient Rome, and Christ's crucifixion, and JFK's assassination, and defeating the Cuban Missile Crisis, and...

Edward

Bartender
My pet theory remains, as above, the Spear of Destiny, and that the older sequences are flashbacks and exposition. There have been shots (also included somewhere earlier in this thread, I believe) drip out of Ford with the dots all over his face that are associated with CGI/Mo-Cap / de-aging. The pics that sparked all the time travel talk in the first place were shots of what looked like Ancient Romans, but to date there have been no pictures of Indy himself appearing in those shots. I'm hoping these are just exposition on the origin of the Spear, and not evidence of time travel. Of course, a touch of time travel would be in keeping with the idea of pulp films as they existed by the sixties (in the same way as Skull pastiched fifties sci-fi themes), but as so many I feel it would be a step too far away from what Jones has always been about.

It'll be interesting to see if Indy does die in this. The involvement of both the director of Logan and Ford, and the general air of 'last hurrah' for this would make it possible. I would be very good with that myself. Indy - who we know he has had the life-enhancing benefits of having drunk from the True Grail - has had a long than average active life for a man of his time, still adventuring into his seventies. So many of the great hero mythologies cover the entire life of the hero and end with their death. It's kinda sad to see that element begin to disappear from so many narratives because the dumbed-down market demands a "happy" ending....

My pet theory remains, as above, the Spear of Destiny, and that the older sequences are flashbacks and exposition. There have been shots (also included somewhere earlier in this thread, I believe) drip out of Ford with the dots all over his face that are associated with CGI/Mo-Cap / de-aging. The pics that sparked all the time travel talk in the first place were shots of what looked like Ancient Romans, but to date there have been no pictures of Indy himself appearing in those shots. I'm hoping these are just exposition on the origin of the Spear, and not evidence of time travel. Of course, a touch of time travel would be in keeping with the idea of pulp films as they existed by the sixties (in the same way as Skull pastiched fifties sci-fi themes), but as so many I feel it would be a step too far away from what Jones has always been about.

It'll be interesting to see if Indy does die in this. The involvement of both the director of Logan and Ford, and the general air of 'last hurrah' for this would make it possible. I would be very good with that myself. Indy - who we know he has had the life-enhancing benefits of having drunk from the True Grail - has had a long than average active life for a man of his time, still adventuring into his seventies. So many of the great hero mythologies cover the entire life of the hero and end with their death. It's kinda sad to see that element begin to disappear from so many narratives because the dumbed-down market demands a "happy" ending....

Yet we've seen him very old and missing an eye, so if they keep to that piece of the story, he should survive this installment.

George_hall_indy.jpg

Tiki Tom

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
It's kinda sad to see that element begin to disappear from so many narratives because the dumbed-down market demands a "happy" ending....
I know this makes me un-cool, but for me movies are fantasy and escapism and entertainment, and I don't watch them to see my heroes get killed or lose the fight. There's enough of that crap in real life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko