Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A very good theory. And now we know that you are at least partially right! In the latest drip of new information, it is revealed that the all important opening sequence is a flashback to a fight against Nazis in a castle in 1944.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...ing-sequence-de-ages-harrison-ford-exclusive/
If I may nit-pick a particular paragraph, the author wrote that the original Raiders jacket was unmothballed, tried on by Ford, and was then recreated, stitch-for-stitch.

The issue: Raiders took place in 1936. LC took place in 1938, with a subtly different jacket. The flashback in the the new movie is supposed to be in 1944, which is six years after LC. So why go back to an 'eight' year old, most likely worn out jacket?

Nit-picky, yes. Would it really matter, though, exactly which jacket style they used? The HAT is what's most important! hahaha

ES335

One of the Regulars
If I may nit-pick a particular paragraph, the author wrote that the original Raiders jacket was unmothballed, tried on by Ford, and was then recreated, stitch-for-stitch.

The issue: Raiders took place in 1936. LC took place in 1938, with a subtly different jacket. The flashback in the the new movie is supposed to be in 1944, which is six years after LC. So why go back to an 'eight' year old, most likely worn out jacket?

Nit-picky, yes. Would it really matter, though, exactly which jacket style they used? The HAT is what's most important! hahaha
Worn out? Man, that thing was all it was between a Nazi truck and the road bed. Sheesh, I'll take one lol!

Edward

Bartender
I know this makes me un-cool, but for me movies are fantasy and escapism and entertainment, and I don't watch them to see my heroes get killed or lose the fight. There's enough of that crap in real life!

I imagine you're far from a minority. I'm fine with it if it makes for the best story, really. For me, though, Indy really is a mythology on a par with the great classical heroes, so if a hero's death awaits him, that feels fitting. I suspect it is going to happen - even if in flash forward at the end to an Indy-world future, rather than seen on screen - given Ford's feelings on the matter. I won't be surprised if they do it with this film to put Ford-Indy to bed (a la Jackman in Logan ) and leave the way clear for the inevitable replacement.

I love this sort of in-world speculation to explain away inconsistencies (I've done the same myself with many things over the years; for example, in my mind I had a very clear and specific in-world explanation as to why Frank'n'Furter's "tattoo" ran in the pool). In practical terms, though, I would liken it to the variation in comic book heroes' appearances over the years. Not specific costume changes as such, but how the details appeared a little different here and there. Shape of a hat, width of a hat brim, length of a cape, the shade of blue on a costume.... As seen through different story-tellers' eyes, all a part of the mythology... I think it is supposed to be the same jacket - albeit imbued with a level of magical protection that meant it survived dragging under a truck and was recovereable from the Nazi sub base....

On that note, I remember years ago reading a novelisation of Raiders - one from back in those days before a copy of the film to own for yourself was not so accessible, and 'book of the film' novelisations were a popular thing - and it was specifically mentioned therein that the hat, and I think impliedly the jacket, had been permanently lost in the sub base. By the time we get to Crusade, of course, the hat and jacket had become so iconic that I suppose that's when the magic started to creep in....

Edward

Bartender
Yet we've seen him very old and missing an eye, so if they keep to that piece of the story, he should survive this installment.

View attachment 466741

That would also work for me. Wasn't this from the Young Indy series? How far is that considered canon?

I remember reading (though I have no idea how legally binding it could be) that Lucas had built in as a condition of sale to Disney a requirement that nothing in the Star Wars properties going forward contradict or rewrite his films. I wonder if there has been any such effort to ring-fence Indy, and what implications that might have for these sorts of continuity question?

That would also work for me. Wasn't this from the Young Indy series? How far is that considered canon?

I remember reading (though I have no idea how legally binding it could be) that Lucas had built in as a condition of sale to Disney a requirement that nothing in the Star Wars properties going forward contradict or rewrite his films. I wonder if there has been any such effort to ring-fence Indy, and what implications that might have for these sorts of continuity question?

Yes, from the Chronicles. I had always thought those were canon, but I'm not so certain.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed. Older indie with an eyepatch looks right; an old warrior in his sunset years.

The years 1939-1945 would be a goldmine of Indiana Jones stories. I assume he was OSS??

Does anyone know if there is an Indiana Jones Fan Fiction site out there?

Agreed. Older indie with an eyepatch looks right; an old warrior in his sunset years...
XJJZVu4.jpg

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
On that note, I remember years ago reading a novelisation of Raiders - one from back in those days before a copy of the film to own for yourself was not so accessible, and 'book of the film' novelisations were a popular thing - and it was specifically mentioned therein that the hat, and I think impliedly the jacket, had been permanently lost in the sub base. By the time we get to Crusade, of course, the hat and jacket had become so iconic that I suppose that's when the magic started to creep in....

I believe you're referencing the novel by Campbell Black, which I still own to this day. It's a fantastic read if you can get a copy of it. Lots of scenes and extra dialogue not in the film. (There are exchanges between Belloq and Dietrich which elicit a chuckle from me everytime I read them.)

Indy definitely loses his hat during his swim to the sub, and complains about it when he's meeting with the government officials at the end of the book. He also loses his whip when he lashes himself to the periscope, and forgets to grab it when he unties himself and drops off the sub before he's discovered.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another rumor: This one is that the title will be “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”.

https://moviehole.net/indiana-jones-5-title-reveal/

Also claims that the trailer might be released in as little as two weeks.

A little bit of possible confirmation:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Dial_of_Destiny

and

and

http://raven.theraider.net/threads/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny.24759/page-10#post-590781

Still, it is only a rumor.

Fortune and Glory to anyone who know anything about what the MacGuffin is. What is “the dial of destiny”? Is it something out of history, legend, or myth? Or is it purely made up for this movie?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Looks to me like a very cleverly done montage of bits lifted from elsewhere. I may be wrong, but I'm certain I've seen that train crash before.

Edward

Bartender
And 'Dial of Destiny?' Come onnnnn .. .

The only thing I could link to that would be the old Inca / Mayan / ? calendar (the one that, as my pop culture memory would have it, said the world would end in 2012). That looks to be what some of the visuals in that - I think - fan-made trailer reference.

With what we've had confirmed so far, whatever the Maguffin is, I'm not seeing any South American link - not beyond that continent being the rumoured hideout of so many WW2 Nazis a la The Boys from Brazil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ